Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
Radii
Head Coach

Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England

Deaths confirmed after Manchester Arena blast reports - BBC News

Haven't seen any speculation at all yet about causes. "A number of fatalities" reported.

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sounds like a really bad one from early reports, especially as they announced fatalities so quickly. Hopefully not as bad as it sounds.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
People waiting at A&E at Wythenshawe Hospital have been asked to leave if they're not serious as staff expect 'mass casualties'

Quote:
British Transport Police have issued a statement saying its officers had responded to reports of an explosion in the foyer of Manchester Arena.

Both from the live updates link on the BBC site.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

NBC is reporting "at least 20" fatalities.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sounds like it went off at the entry, so assuming it was a terrorist act maybe the device was discovered before it got into the actual concert area, which may have prevented it from being even worse than it was.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Seeing some reports of one being a suicide bomber.

Last edited by RainMaker : 05-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Sounds like it went off at the entry, so assuming it was a terrorist act maybe the device was discovered before it got into the actual concert area, which may have prevented it from being even worse than it was.

Well sounds like it was after the show was over, so they were probably going for max impact as exits are packed wall to wall as everyone leaves the venue.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

Doing this at an Ariana Grande concert is purposely going after women and children.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 PM   #9
bhlloy
Coordinator

On top of that, the nature of the gig with so many kids attending probably meant it was easy for somebody passing themselves off as a parent to get close to the arena afterwards
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's just so many soft targets. It gets depressing.

God bless all of the people involved.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:50 AM   #11
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sounds like a single idiot - from what I've heard no group has claimed responsibility yet so most likely one person with mental issues working alone ... I fully expect a group to take 'credit' at some point ...

(this sort of thing sucks)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 AM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Sounds like a single idiot - from what I've heard no group has claimed responsibility yet so most likely one person with mental issues working alone ... I fully expect a group to take 'credit' at some point ...

(this sort of thing sucks)

That could be the case but he had to learn how to build a powerful bomb like that somewhere.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Google is pretty much all you need. That, and a web proxy or two.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #14
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It's been reported that Pep Guardiola's wife and family, along with some first team Manchester City players and their families were attending and got out okay.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why is Ariana Grande considered a kid friendly act? Have you heard some of the lyrics? Side to Side is about getting your ham sandwich pulverized by a giant pepperoni stick. I get the whole soft targets thing of it, though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why is Ariana Grande considered a kid friendly act? Have you heard some of the lyrics? Side to Side is about getting your ham sandwich pulverized by a giant pepperoni stick. I get the whole soft targets thing of it, though.
So she's food-friendly. What you got against that? I heard she likes to lick donuts, too.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Grande definitely has highly sexually charged lyrics, but it is set in the veneer of bubblegum pop, so parents who aren't really paying attention think that's all it is. Also Grande started out acting in Nickelodeon shows, so some may remember her from that and think she's a similar sort of act (and unlike, say, Miley Cyrus, her adult themes weren't brash and in your face as much as gradual and more subtle.... such as Grande's signature look of bunny ears)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Grande definitely has highly sexually charged lyrics, but it is set in the veneer of bubblegum pop, so parents who aren't really paying attention think that's all it is. Also Grande started out acting in Nickelodeon shows, so some may remember her from that and think she's a similar sort of act (and unlike, say, Miley Cyrus, her adult themes weren't brash and in your face as much as gradual and more subtle.... such as Grande's signature look of bunny ears)

Plus she's a Final Fantasy character so she must be okay for kids.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #19
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

i just went to you tube to listen to that song, i couldnt understand anything but autotune. i was hoping to get a cheap thrill hearing a hot chick singing about boinking but i couldnt understand a word. all it made me do was want to blow something up
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
i just went to you tube to listen to that song, i couldnt understand anything but autotune. i was hoping to get a cheap thrill hearing a hot chick singing about boinking but i couldnt understand a word. all it made me do was want to blow something up

Need to be funnier if you want to pull off an inappropriate joke like that. Fail.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #21
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Need to be funnier if you want to pull off an inappropriate joke like that. Fail.

Better?

Last edited by CU Tiger : 05-25-2017 at 05:01 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #22
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Better?

Maybe?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote