Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #51
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
I wasn't in love with the ending, but I don't think it's quite as horrible as some people are making it out to be. Overall, I found it to be an incredibly enjoyable game even if it did have a few annoying issues.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-26-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 AM   #52
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #53
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Spoiler

Spoiler
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #54
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have to say, as somebody who has never played the game and didn't know anything about it, I find this whole debate about the ending fascinating.

Mrs. Leafs is a series diehard, and she was furious about how it ended. At first I assumed it was typical fanboy "Wah, they didn't write the ending that I came up with in my head" stuff, but the more I read up on I really feel like you guys got screwed.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #55
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I have to say, as somebody who has never played the game and didn't know anything about it, I find this whole debate about the ending fascinating.

Mrs. Leafs is a series diehard, and she was furious about how it ended. At first I assumed it was typical fanboy "Wah, they didn't write the ending that I came up with in my head" stuff, but the more I read up on I really feel like you guys got screwed.

The rest of the game isn't perfect but it at least has the same feel as the rest of the series. At the end its almost like they chopped off the real end and relaced it with the end from a different story.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #56
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just finished the game.

Still pondering how I feel about the ending. I see the issues some have with it. Some I agree, some not so much.

That said, everything up to the ending ranged somewhere from good to amazing. Had a blast playing it.

My ambivalence towards the ending doesn't change it all that much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just went through the end again and still didn't have a huge issue with it.

Have any of you watched this (rather lengthy) theory about the whole ending sequence?

Spoiler
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #58
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Just grinded through to the end last night and my only reaction was..

the fuck???

Spoiler
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 04-14-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #59
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm in the same boat as you for replaying it. In Mass Effect 2 I did a New Game+ on the hardest difficulty and played through with a male Shepard, I think i played around 120 hours total. I was planning on starting another play through after finishing 3, but after the ending couldn't bring myself to do it. I played a couple rounds of multiplayer and haven't touched it since.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #60
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Obviously my reaction to the ending, and series as a whole, is quite different than most. I never re-play games with a story/narrative. I can't think of one off the top of my head that I have ever done so or ever really had the desire to.

That said, the day after I finished Mass Effect 3, I had a strong desire to re-play the last two games as FemShep. I even went so far to buy that Mass Effect 2 DLC that allows you to make some of the important decisions in ME1 in a sort of flashback type way and started a new ME2 game.

I didn't get too far, probably just past the first mission, since I got caught up with Deus Ex, but I think I will return to it.

I didn’t mind ME3′s ending all that much. Could ME3’s ending have been better? Sure. Can I give you a list of things I would have done differently (and better)? Sure.

I am looking forward to the extended DLC ending they are putting out, I wonder how much of an improvement this will be.

Even with the ending “Mass Effect” is my favorite RPG video game series of all time. Just had so much fun playing it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #61
mckerney
Coordinator

The Escapist : Forums : Gaming Discussion : Major Mass Effect 3 Ending Content Cut out Kotor 2 style (spoilers)

More evidence the ending was rushed. Unused voice work point to original plans for the final battle being of much larger scale and having you fight alongside war assets and former squadmates.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #62
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The Escapist : Forums : Gaming Discussion : Major Mass Effect 3 Ending Content Cut out Kotor 2 style (spoilers)

More evidence the ending was rushed. Unused voice work point to original plans for the final battle being of much larger scale and having you fight alongside war assets and former squadmates.

Sounds more or less in line with what the Bioware employee posted on the Penny Arcade forums.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #63
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post

This is what's most disappointing to me about the ending of the game.

Spoiler
Old 04-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This is what's most disappointing to me about the ending of the game.

That seems to be in line with a lot of what I've read, especially now that people have had time to consider what they would have liked instead of just knowing they were unhappy.

I'm curious about something, not sure if you can answer or not but maybe somebody can. (surely some FOFC'er is familiar with both elements in my question)

I'm not at all a huge fan of either property I'm going to mention but I'm familiar enough with them both to have some general idea: Is it reasonably accurate to say that what was done with ME3 is similar to the final battle in the Harry Potter movie ... except that the latter trimmed without ruining the feel, while the game simply scrimped on everything & just cut directly to the conclusion?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That seems to be in line with a lot of what I've read, especially now that people have had time to consider what they would have liked instead of just knowing they were unhappy.

I'm curious about something, not sure if you can answer or not but maybe somebody can. (surely some FOFC'er is familiar with both elements in my question)

I'm not at all a huge fan of either property I'm going to mention but I'm familiar enough with them both to have some general idea: Is it reasonably accurate to say that what was done with ME3 is similar to the final battle in the Harry Potter movie ... except that the latter trimmed without ruining the feel, while the game simply scrimped on everything & just cut directly to the conclusion?

I would have a hard time comparing the two, since I am not that familiar with Harry Potter. I never read the books and only saw a few of the films, and never the final one.

As for ME3, I think that's a pretty fair statement. At least based off of what we've been hearing. You can really look at the entire last game as "the end", so in that regard it's not really scrimping. But when you get to the final battle at earth, they just sort of dropped the ball. You get to one last conversation with each member of your team - both current and past - and then that's really it. Besides whichever two squad members you pick, you never hear from the others again. You also never get a sense that all these "war assets" that you've been gathering or the alliane you've spent all game trying to solidify really mean much of anything or have an impact.

So, thinking about it more, it might not be so much scrimping and cutting right to the conclusion - though that appeared to happen - as it was ignoring a lot of what the current and past games were about. The "ignoring" part could be a result of scrimping or cutting corners. There were plenty of opportunities to add that sort of stuff into the game during the final conflict. If they had added all of that stuff before the actual conclusion - it would have been fantastic.

I think a lot of people (well, some at least) would have been able to overlook the somewhat puzzling conclusion if the lead up to it had that stuff.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #66
Icy
Pro Starter

I have never played mass effect franchise before and i'm thinking about getting into it. Will get for sure 2 and 3, but not sure about 1.

I have researched in some forums but prefer the opinions from FOFC.

1) Should i play 1, 2 and 3? or is 2 and 3 enough? having on mind that the PS3 version of ME2 has something called comic that it's like a mini ME1 where you can take some important decisions from 1 (or that i have read). My worries about 1 is that i might feel it so outdated graphically after 4 yras since release, also that i have read the game mechanics are way different that 2 and 3.

2) PC or PS3? If i buy 2 and 3 only, i might go the Ps3 route because that comic option i taled before. PC would be an easier choice if i could buy all 3 from steam, but i see i need origin for the 3rd one. Not a big issue anyway as i have origin installed for BF3 anyway, but i have a macpro notebook so i would need to start in bootcamp to run the games, and i'm not really into that.

UPDATE: i have found that i can buy 1 and 2 from Origin and for really cheap, like $18 for both so i might go that route unless you guys think the PS3 version is better with that "comic" feature as i have read i can create different characters for 2 and 3 way faster than replaying 1 several times.

Last edited by Icy : 05-23-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #67
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I have never played mass effect franchise before and i'm thinking about getting into it. Will get for sure 2 and 3, but not sure about 1.

1) Should i play 1, 2 and 3? or is 2 and 3 enough? having on mind that the PS3 version of ME2 has something called comic that it's like a mini ME1 where you can take some important decisions from 1 (or that i have read). My worries about 1 is that i might feel it so outdated graphically after 4 yras since release, also that i have read the game mechanics are way different that 2 and 3.

2) PC or PS3? If i buy 2 and 3 only, i might go the Ps3 route because that comic option i taled before. PC would be an easier choice if i could buy all 3 from steam, but i see i need origin for the 3rd one. Not a big issue anyway as i have origin installed for BF3 anyway, but i have a macpro notebook so i would need to start in bootcamp to run the games, and i'm not really into that.

UPDATE: i have found that i can buy 1 and 2 from Origin and for really cheap, like $18 for both so i might go that route unless you guys think the PS3 version is better with that "comic" feature as i have read i can create different characters for 2 and 3 way faster than replaying 1 several times.

I really don't remember much of one. That being said, ME2 is a great game very much in the Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai/Dirty Dozen type style. They really seemed to cut a lot of the chaff from one but not in a way that made it too linear.

I don't think you'd go wrong for 18 bucks though. I think I sold my copy of ME1.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #68
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Nothing will ever beat the horrible ending of KotoR 2.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #69
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I only ever played it on the PC. You can buy the comic option as DLC for the PC. I just recently went that route with the game for my ME2 re-play.

ME1 has many issues. There are many missions where you drive this buggy around on planet surfaces trying to pick shit up. Those are all horrible. Very dull and kind of frustrating. Also, the layout for buildings in every side mission is identical. It's always the same.

One of the best things about ME2 is how it addressed and vastly improved upon almost every annoying thing in the first game.

That being said, storywise and investment-wise, it's not a bad idea to play through the first game. I would just try to do so kind of quickly and don't bother with every single side quest/fetch mission. The world is very cool and the first game really lets you get a sense of it. Also, you develop a sense of certain NPCs that carry through every game and build a relationship with them. I think that can really add a lot to the sequels. I don't think you'd get the same level of investment in these character by going to comic route.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-23-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #70
Shepp
High School Varsity

Quote:

I would recommend the PC version unless your computer just absolutely sucks.

Unless you just don't want to spend the time playing ME1, I would buy the game and play the whole thing. The shooter gameplay elements were a little rough in ME1 compared to ME2 but its more than made up for by some of the really good cinematic portions of the game. Besides if you take the time to play the first two the Extended Cut should be out by the time you're ready for ME3. Hopefully, you won't have to experience the pain that is that crappy ending.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #71
Atocep
Coordinator

Did anyone else try Andromeda? I finished it recently and it feels like they've merged Dragon Age and Mass Effect into more or less the same game. The difference is the particular open world that Bioware has created seems to work much better in a fantasy setting than space.

Inquisition wasn't perfect, but it was fun and engaging. Witcher 3 blew it away and I'm sure going back the world would feel somewhat empty and boring because of just how good Witcher is. The characters in Inquisition were still interesting, I felt, and the story was decent.

When you land on a planet there is no variation in the landscape. If you land on a snowy planet the entire planet is snowy. Land on a desert, well it just so happens the entire planet is a desert. And so on and so forth.

The characters? Boring and unimaginative. Story? Boring and predictable. Animations? Terrible (even after the patch that somewhat fixed them a little).

All in all I think it's a 6/10 type game. The first few hours are a struggle to get through. It picks up a bit in the middle, but then the ending is as anti-climatic as you can imagine.

This is a series that I loved at one point. Then 3 just wasn't a that great of a game IMO and Andromeda takes things a step or 3 lower.

I just can't believe what's become of Bioware. Mediocre gameplay with awful dialogue and a paint by numbers story isn't what that company is about.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-05-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 01:28 AM   #72
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nah, It's a solid 8-9 to me. it feels really alien, which helps the story.

SackAttack and I have been playing ME:A Multiplayer when we're both on, and it leads to "hilarious" conversations like this:

I see a hydra, a big mech (we've nicknamed it Stompy, it's one of the few units in the game that can straight up kill you with one shot (not take down, kill).

Me: ACK, RUN AWAY!

(runs toward SackAttack's group.)

Me: I'm bringing death behind me, look out!

SackAttack: No! We already have enough death here.

(I start getting shot at by the seven or eight outlaws that Sack Attack's group was fighting)

Me: ow! Too much death! RUN AWAY!
Old 05-06-2017, 01:43 AM   #73
SackAttack
Head Coach

You know the scene in Marvel's The Avengers where Tony Stark goes? "Tell him to suit up; I'm bringing the party to you."?

SirFozzie plays ME:A multiplayer kinda like Tony Stark as played by Groucho Marx.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #74
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I play (right now) An Asari Adept. I have two pistols, and three sets of biotic powers.. the biotic powers only combine when they are near my (my annihlation field around me primes, the other two detonate).

So I do a lot of "CHARGE!" followed by a lot of "OH G@$*U@()$!!! RUN AWAY"
Old 05-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #75
Atocep
Coordinator

It sounds like the plug has been pulled, at least temporarily, on a 2nd game in the Andromeda series. Reports are saying the team working on it has been moved on to other projects.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #76
RainMaker
General Manager

It wasn't very good. Felt like a game that was about 5 years behind the times. Writing was terrible and the gameplay was nothing to ride home about. Probably didn't help that a lot of the early bugs were mocked relentlessly online.

I wouldn't have bought a 2nd game and maybe they'd be better off moving on to another property.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #77
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

all that means is they're not going to begin immediate work on MEA2. that means it's 2-3 years out, at a minimum. They'll get the band back together again, almost definitely, there's too much momentum behind the Mass Effect Brand
Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM   #78
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
all that means is they're not going to begin immediate work on MEA2. that means it's 2-3 years out, at a minimum. They'll get the band back together again, almost definitely, there's too much momentum behind the Mass Effect Brand

I'm sure they will eventually, but the series has been declining in sales and reviews since 2. Another game like Andromeda and the series is done.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:56 AM   #79
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It wasn't very good. Felt like a game that was about 5 years behind the times. Writing was terrible and the gameplay was nothing to ride home about. Probably didn't help that a lot of the early bugs were mocked relentlessly online.

I wouldn't have bought a 2nd game and maybe they'd be better off moving on to another property.

This is what I consistently heard, so I never bought the game, and I consider Mass Effect my favorite RPG series ever. I loved those games. I played through ME2 twice, which I never do with RPGs. I bought all of the DLC. I had great affection for the series and the characters, but nothing about this new game sounded compelling.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #80
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'd guess they probably also won't assign the next game in the series to BioWare Montreal (or any of the other B-teams, really). I'd guess the A-team is getting ME back if and when there's another game.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote