Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Dayton HS punished for attempting to throw a football game

Dayton OH high school video: Shows players trying to lose game

So the backstory is that Dunbar school administrators realized a star player was ineligible mid-game, both teams are in the same district, and the way the Ohio state playoffs are run a Dunbar win & forfeit would've kept both teams out of the state playoffs but a Belmont win would put them in the playoffs, so they told the Dunbar coach to throw the game. Having said all that that's literally the exact reaction I'd expect from the Dunbar players, and one of the more amusing football plays I've seen. I don't even want to spoil it, and it's a shame the ref called it back

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

k, that one is shared on my own social media now. What an unholy mess.

As for the video, the highlight moment has to be the guy pointing the DL toward the end zone.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-19-2017 at 11:55 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

How stupid can the coach be to not tell the players not to be too obvious, and/or how stupid can the coach be to think some teenagers can pull it off without being too obvious.

Fines & 3 years probation ... why wasn't someone fired?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
Butter
Coordinator

Ah yes, Dayton Public School athletics. Dunbar especially has been shady for a long, long time. Their coach is an idiot for going about it this way though.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
How stupid can the coach be to not tell the players not to be too obvious, and/or how stupid can the coach be to think some teenagers can pull it off without being too obvious.

Fines & 3 years probation ... why wasn't someone fired?

The correct question is how utterly devoid of morals can a coach be to even ask this if young men he is supposed to be a role model for? If he knowingly used an ineligible player, then this is what the consequence is and you have to face your kids and accept accountability for that.

This nonsense should lead to him getting fired and if the AD implied, and/or advised him to do this, his ass should go too.

High School sports (And I am obviously speaking primarily from a Football viewpoint) has reached unforgiveable lows in the last few years. The sad part is, the majority of the coaches out there, who work insane hours for virtually no compensation in most states, do things the correct way. But corrupt few, driven by ego and their own tilted agenda are ruining the sport.

The story below is currently unfolding here in AZ and just makes me sick. This school is a perennial power, that has totally spun out of control discipline wise. I know the head coach and have generally had good experiences with him, but things have completely unraveled there over the past couple of season, both on the field and off.

The excuse presented that the coaches office did not have a full view of locker facilities is utterly bullshit and this should cost him (rightfully so) his job. A coaching staff should have a presence in the locker room at ALL times, before/after practice and games until all the athletes are gone. That includes monitoring the parking lot until all players are picked up and making sure you set clear and consistent conduct parameters.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ody/100130380/

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-20-2017 at 10:45 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That AZ story is a mess but isn't one that surprises me a whole lot unfortunately.

I've never understand the hazing culture specifically. I'm not exactly what anybody would consider a touchy-feeley (no pun intended) guy, I'm considerably old school about a lot of things ... but abusing teammates never has made a lick of sense to me. Bust somebody on the field/court/wherever, okay sure I get that, you're ostensibly preparing them for the next level of competition. Even tough love scenarios, to get somebody with the proverbial program, I can make sense of that too.

Stuff like this? There's some sick fucks in the world and if they're using "team bonding" as an excuse to engage in behavior that would get somebody shot in another setting ... that's the shit I simply can't get my ahead around. Athletics, greek life, whatever.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

I didn't understand the motive here, but after reading a few articles, the athletic director only figured out during the game that the star player was ineligible. If they won the game, they would have to forfeit that game and receive other penalties. But if they lost, the athletic directly thought he wouldn't have to report the infraction. I'm skeptical that that's how it works, but this doesn't seem like the brightest guy to begin with. And, as it turns out, the player was ineligible the week before anyway, so that came was forfeited too. And also, losing would put that other team in the playoffs, and that other team is, like Dunbar, a Dayton public high school, so there's some loyalty there in the corrupt world of high school football (I bet those directors have a lot of mutual secrets they don't want to get out.)

I'm not sure what the on-the-field plan was though. There was still a lot of time in that game. Did they just plan on playing that way the rest of the game?

Last edited by molson : 04-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The notion apparently was that if they could straight up lose (throw the game) instead of forfeiting then it would impact the power ratings calculations. That appears to be incorrect, but that seems to be the thinking. Apparently the way that works is that if they had forfeited prior to kickoff then the game wouldn't have counted somehow, it would have been a no-contest or some other calculation other than the one they ended up with.

In the end, the pair of late season forfeits (for an ineligible player used) put three teams into the post-season & cut three others out.

So basically not only was the AD issuing the orders a corrupt p.o.s., he was also too dumb to figure out the rules. He's no longer the AD I've noticed ... but he was still a multi-title winning head basketball coach (pending annual decisions at the end of the year about the contract status of all the coaches in the district)

One team’s forfeits cost two others a playoff berth in Ohio | USA Today High School Sports