Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #51
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Imagine if Best Actor was next to last, instead of Best Actress. They would've accidentally read Manchester by the Sea as Best Picture. Matt Damon would've come on stage to accept the Oscar, only for it to be taken away from him at the last minute when they discovered Moonlight actually won. Would've probably taken 30 minutes for people to realize that this wasn't some elaborate Kimmel prank against Damon.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 02-27-2017 at 03:57 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

HA! That would have been awesome!

Though I'd imagine that Beatty and Dunaway would have realized, hey, wait... there was no way Manchester by the Sea was going to win this thing...
Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #53
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I genuinely feel sorry for Beatty and Dunaway. There's no way two 75+ year olds should be stuck in a position like that. The whole job is read your lines off the prompter, open the envelope, and read the name. The last thing you expect to be wrong is the envelope. PWC may be looking for work to replace their Oscar's gig.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:27 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I would like to respond to this with your own quote.

---------------------

I have been in a spelling bee when I was 9 or 10, and I would argue that the degree of difficulty of what Beatty and Dunaway did was about 10x easier. But I didn't know Beatty was almost eighty, so thanks for that piece of information. I'll just chalk it up to being almost 80 and confused.

That quote from me was from another stretch where the same political talkholes (you, others) were saying the same crap over and over again in yet another completely separate thread after going at it incessantly for, oh, about a year or two. And the point I made then still stands. Y'all would rather self righteously be "right" than have a country that works together to meet the goals of its citizens. Your posting and that of others did and still does sicken me.

MBBF cracking one joke here (and against type) is entirely different than that and to be frank you responded like a little bitch and insulted him directly. If he deserved it (and he often does), that is one thing, but he really didn't. Way, way over the top reaction by you, and very unnecessary.

But then clearly you're the Spelling Bee King with ice in his veins, so I guess I'll just bow in your presence, whether you are fileting those who disagree with you here or the elderly reading cards in front of millions of TV viewers, who apparently lack your deft touch in high stress situations.

Can't wait to end up on your published Ignore list!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 02-27-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:38 AM   #55
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

HEY GUYS! THERE"S SOMETHING HAPPENING ON TELEVISION!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #56
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That quote from me was from another stretch where the same political talkholes (you, others) were saying the same crap over and over again in yet another completely separate thread after going at it incessantly for, oh, about a year or two. And the point I made then still stands. Y'all would rather self righteously be "right" than have a country that works together to meet the goals of its citizens. Your posting and that of others did and still does sicken me.

I didn't even post in that thread, but ok.

Quote:
MBBF cracking one joke here (and against type) is entirely different than that and to be frank you responded like a little bitch and insulted him directly. If he deserved it (and he often does), that is one thing, but he really didn't. Way, way over the top reaction by you, and very unnecessary.

Refer you to albion's quote about my intention from earlier. It was kind of a frustration with his total career posting that boiled over.

Quote:
But then clearly you're the Spelling Bee King with ice in his veins, so I guess I'll just bow in your presence, whether you are fileting those who disagree with you here or the elderly reading cards in front of millions of TV viewers, who apparently lack your deft touch in high stress situations.

Can't wait to end up on your published Ignore list!

I have already published my full ignore list. And no, I believe I lost that spelling bee because there were a number of Asian whiz kids in my region. But I can in fact think on my feet in front of a large group setting, which I have done several times. The example I gave was purposely ludicrous because the amount of problem solving skill required by me in that situation is, in fact, more than what it required to stand on stage, read a prepared statement, and then know what you are supposed to read out of an envelope handed to you. But yes, I am the crazy one. Thanks for your input.

I guess you are allowed to say that people get on your fucking nerves and you hate people, but I tell one guy to shut the fuck up and I'm out of line. Got it. Enjoy your moral superiority, you've earned it.

Last edited by Butter : 02-28-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:27 AM   #57
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't even post in that thread, but ok.

Refer you to albion's quote about my intention from earlier. It was kind of a frustration with his total career posting that boiled over.

I have already published my full ignore list. And no, I believe I lost that spelling bee because there were a number of Asian whiz kids in my region. But I can in fact think on my feet in front of a large group setting, which I have done several times. The example I gave was purposely ludicrous because the amount of problem solving skill required by me in that situation is, in fact, more than what it required to stand on stage, read a prepared statement, and then know what you are supposed to read out of an envelope handed to you. But yes, I am the crazy one. Thanks for your input.

I guess you are allowed to say that people get on your fucking nerves and you hate people, but I tell one guy to shut the fuck up and I'm out of line. Got it. Enjoy your moral superiority, you've earned it.

I had no idea who you were until this thread, but I think I will take your advise and put you on my ignore list. Thanks!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:33 AM   #58
Butter
Coordinator

I liked it better before you were responding to me, so you do you man.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #59
Butter
Coordinator

So apparently, it was the male accountant's fault, and he tweeted out a picture of Emma Stone right after her win and right before Beatty went onstage carrying the wrong envelope he was handed by the male accountant.

So this guy was definitely distracted. Was kinda wondering if he ends up fired from this. Not that I'm for that, but you figure PWC is taking a pretty big media hit from this.

And the award for Oscars scapegoat goes to ... Brian Cullinan - NY Daily News

Last edited by Butter : 02-28-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:05 PM   #60
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

NotMarisaTomei.png
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:21 AM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelLo...49967399731201

Last edited by stevew : 03-01-2017 at 01:22 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #62
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So apparently, it was the male accountant's fault, and he tweeted out a picture of Emma Stone right after her win and right before Beatty went onstage carrying the wrong envelope he was handed by the male accountant.

So this guy was definitely distracted. Was kinda wondering if he ends up fired from this. Not that I'm for that, but you figure PWC is taking a pretty big media hit from this.

And the award for Oscars scapegoat goes to ... Brian Cullinan - NY Daily News

In fairness, Emma Stone would probably make me lose focus too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

That's just a variant on the Les Miles clap.

Don't want to get your fingers all twisted up in there.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #64
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Photos of him backstage not really paying attention to the envelopes.

New Photos Show Oscar Culprit Tweeting, Holding Multiple Envelopes | Variety

Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #65
molson
General Manager

I'd love to know what he was doing in those three and half minutes between the announcement and showing up on the stage. Piss break? Hands in his pocket and casually whistling?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #66
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'd love to know what he was doing in those three and half minutes between the announcement and showing up on the stage. Piss break? Hands in his pocket and casually whistling?

Well they mention in that article that it was the other accountant (Martha Ruiz) who presented him with the Best Picture envelope. Sounds like to me after he presented what he thought was the right envelope, he lost track of where the other one was. When the wrong announcement came, he probably couldn't find it.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Well they mention in that article that it was the other accountant (Martha Ruiz) who presented him with the Best Picture envelope. Sounds like to me after he presented what he thought was the right envelope, he lost track of where the other one was. When the wrong announcement came, he probably couldn't find it.

If I'm reading it right though ...
2 envelopes in his hand (his spare Best Actress & his correcdt Best Picture)

He would have then handed Beatty the spare Actress one & presumably discarded his Best Picture one. (I'm making that presumption since he's not pictured carrying around all the others from the evening, there has got to be a disposal process of some sort ... I think?)

THEN Ruiz hands him the sole remaining correct Best Picture one.

Right?
Old 03-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #68
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If I'm reading it right though ...
2 envelopes in his hand (his spare Best Actress & his correcdt Best Picture)

He would have then handed Beatty the spare Actress one & presumably discarded his Best Picture one. (I'm making that presumption since he's not pictured carrying around all the others from the evening, there has got to be a disposal process of some sort ... I think?)

THEN Ruiz hands him the sole remaining correct Best Picture one.

Right?

Right, that's what I meant. So the delay came from:

1) Time it took to figure out what happened and the culprit was the wrong envelope.
2) Frantically looking for the correct envelope, which he couldn't find.
3) A confused Ruiz running across stage to him to try and figure out how this happened.
4) Ruiz finally presenting him with the right envelope, which they give to Warren.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And figuring out what to do in the event of a mixup was apparently also an issue. Somewhere yesterday I saw an article that quoted the guy from a few week's prior talking about how he didn't really know what they would do if something like that ever happened.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #70
larrymcg421
Head Coach

According to this article, they also blame Martha Ruiz for not acting quickly enough to fix the error. Apparently, there were protocols for this situation and they weren't followed correctly.

PwC Accountants Involved in Oscar Mixup Will Not Work on Show Again

Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #71
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm disappointed by the lack of Naked Gun 3 references

Old 03-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #72
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This answers molson's question from earlier. The delay happened because Cullinan refused to go on stage to correct the error and Ruiz didn't even seem to know the wrong thing was announced (or she was too afraid to do anything about it). That's why the guy we see come up to grab the envelope from the La La Land producer is the stage manager.

I was wondering why she got punished, too. But this makes sense and, in a way, her mistake is almost worse because it could've led to the mistake not being corrected until after the telecast if Cullinan didn't start freaking out.

Oscars Stage Manager Details PwC Accountants' Incompetence: 'They Froze' (Exclusive)