Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

The Stupid %$!/# Announcers Say Thread

I can't believe we don't have a thread like this already.

It's amazing some of the inane stuff announcers say. Even given they're talking on the fly. I would call this the Honorary Jon Gruden Thread, except we're about at the end of football season, so we may not get an entry from him for a while.

Tonight's entry and inspiration for this thread. The on field announcer at the National Championship game (didn't catch his name). Dude, you had to have known months ago you would be interviewing the star of the game after the final whistle. And there are really limited and obvious question options after a team wins a championship. It's not hard.

So there you are, interviewing Deshaun Watson right after he has led the Tigers to the title, and you come up with this zinger:

"There's emotion on your face--why?"

Really, man? Really?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-09-2017 at 11:55 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I may have misunderstood what the announcer said, but I heard it as "
That
emotion on your face"

I flinched at the question initially myself but thought (and maybe still think) that what he was trying to ask was essentially "what's behind that emotion on your face". It was a question designed perhaps to give Watson a chance to answer with the legacy stuff that Boulware mentioned on the podium.

It was curiously worded, no doubt, but maybe wasn't quite as ill conceived as it sounded {shrug}
Old 01-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I may have misunderstood what the announcer said, but I heard it as "
That
emotion on your face"

I flinched at the question initially myself but thought (and maybe still think) that what he was trying to ask was essentially "what's behind that emotion on your face". It was a question designed perhaps to give Watson a chance to answer with the legacy stuff that Boulware mentioned on the podium.

It was curiously worded, no doubt, but maybe wasn't quite as ill conceived as it sounded {shrug}

When it comes to the field of communication, it's all about how well it is communicated. That was a very poorly communicated question, no matter what the announcer intended.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-10-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

You should call it the Dan Dierdorf thread. Not a word uttered from that man would be found anywhere else.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 01-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You should call it the Dan Dierdorf thread. Not a word uttered from that man would be found anywhere else.

He was so horrible.

It's a brutally tough job (I've done it and enjoyed it, even wanted to make a career out of it at one time) That said, some guys just look lost.

The one thing we can't see or hear has a MASSIVE effect though. (for the play by play and color guys) How good and quick is the producer in their ear saying "missed holding call on 73 on that long run" or "The star corner is limping a bit"
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:25 AM   #6
Logan
Head Coach

I knew this thread was going to be about that question.

It was Tom Rinaldi, BTW. The king of emotion. And I also heard it as "there's emotion..."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

A couple new entries today. These are a little weaker, but the get at the heart of the problem with some of these announcers.

One, Hubie Brown on tonight's broadcast of the Cavs-Blazers game.

The Blazers were up by 21 with just under 6 minutes left. The Cavs had been sitting LeBron and Love for over three minutes. Kyrie was also now out of the game. The Cavs were running with Jefferson, James Jones, Jordan Mcrae, etc. The backups of the backups. They had clearly given up the game. But Stotts kept trotting out Lillard and McCollum and other starters for another three minutes, risking season damaging injury for no reason, as the win was assured. Does Hubie rip into Stotts? Oh no, heaven forbid. "The Cavs could come back! Smart play by Stotts to keep the pedal to the metal."

No, it was fucking stupid. Stop knobbing the coach's shaft, Hubie and call it like it is. You're not getting another NBA job at this point anyway.

Two, after the game, the lead on the late night Sportscenter was, of course, the Chargers' coming announced move to L.A. After some discussion and back and forth with an analyst, show host Neil Everett says, "A bad day for the Chargers. A bad day for the NFL."

No, you dumbass. It's a good day for those guys. The NFL gets a team out of a shit stadium and up until an area where the franchise worth will double. The Chargers themselves are said franchise doubling in value. They're fine. The bad day is for San Diego and for Chargers fans (especially if they reside anywhere but in LA).

Yea, these are probably reaching, but I gotta get this crap out of my head.