Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #51
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally posted by JW
The actual argument should be whether OU or USC should play LSU. LSU ended up ranked #2 in the human polls and #2 in the BCS rankings. Using either system to pick the top two teams, LSU would be playing for the national championship. My own opinion is that LSU should be playing USC based on what transpired yesterday.

If the voters really felt that USC was a better team then OU and deserved to play in the title game, they mearly had to vote OU as the number #4 or #5 team in the nation. Clearly the majority of voters place OU at third knowing full well, that their vote decided who played for the national title this year.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:56 PM   #52
The_herd
College Starter

I think they voted OU 3rd because they thought they were the 3rd best team and voted USC #1 because they were the best team.

It doesn't make sense to vote a team #1 and not think they should be playing for the national championship.

Last edited by The_herd : 12-07-2003 at 06:57 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:20 PM   #53
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

This is the greatest day in recent college football history. I don't feel one bit sorry for USC. They are part of the PAC10 and the PAC10 is one of the 6 conferences who designed the BCS and support it. They made their bed, now they have to lay in it. Or something like that.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:25 PM   #54
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

And here I was all excited expecting to get an OSU Miami rematch and the Fiesta Bowl exercises this special economics clause and voila, now we have to face maybe the hottest team in the country, a team we have absolutely no history with or buzz associated with the matchup. A team OSU has as much interest in playing as they did NC State. And Miami wanted OSU a heck of a lot more than a rematch with a team they already whooped. Thanks again BCS. At least the Rose Bowl should be a great game.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I think NYT just has a map of America hanging in the office, then throw darts and pick the colleges in the order it lands.

You're half right. The part you left off is that it's a projection that has the part of the country east of the Mississippi four times the size of the rest of the map.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I think they voted OU 3rd because they thought they were the 3rd best team and voted USC #1 because they were the best team.

It doesn't make sense to vote a team #1 and not think they should be playing for the national championship.

I agree.

Marmel, that is two really sucky posts from you this weekend. That's par for me but you're batting a much higher percentage.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:17 PM   #57
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I agree.

Marmel, that is two really sucky posts from you this weekend. That's par for me but you're batting a much higher percentage.

How so? and what was the other?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 08:27 PM   #58
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Didn't this happen a few years ago when Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the chamiponship game and still got to play for the national championship?

I just don't see how you can lose your conference and still make it to the title game...
Old 12-07-2003, 08:30 PM   #59
Gambit
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
You're half right. The part you left off is that it's a projection that has the part of the country east of the Mississippi four times the size of the rest of the map.

SI

Totally true.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:55 PM   #60
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by gstelmack
Didn't this happen a few years ago when Nebraska got blown out by Colorado in the chamiponship game and still got to play for the national championship?

I just don't see how you can lose your conference and still make it to the title game...

{sarcasm}Yeah, you'd think if it was that important they would have changed it then {/sarcasm}

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:19 PM   #61
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gstelmack

Actually, Colorado beat 11-0 Nebraska in the final game of the regular season. Colorado then beat Texas in the Big 12 championship game. Your last point is still valid, it just happened in a slightly different way.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote