Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Bobble
College Prospect

SSD

I've got a Dell XPS 8500 tower from 2013 that appears to have a 32GB SSD that I never use. What should I be doing with it? It's too small to put Fallout 4 on there so my load times are less atrocious. OOTP? FM? Civ V?

Should I spring for an SSD of a size that can accommodate my Steam library? That doesn't seem practical.

Fix me, FOFC.

Last edited by Bobble : 10-12-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
RainMaker
General Manager

Putting a game on an SSD won't speed it up all that much. SSD is best used for the OS. Maybe storing things you pull up frequently like music, videos, and pictures?

Edit: Thinking about it, Fallout is one of the few games that I think you'd notice a difference. Mainly because it has so many loading screens. So I guess in that case, go ahead and do it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 10-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

Also I'd highly recommend buying a larger SSD and just put everything on it. Quality ones from Samsung have come down in price a ton over the years and it's probably the single best upgrade someone can make on an old computer.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #4
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Putting a game on an SSD won't speed it up all that much. SSD is best used for the OS. Maybe storing things you pull up frequently like music, videos, and pictures?

Edit: Thinking about it, Fallout is one of the few games that I think you'd notice a difference. Mainly because it has so many loading screens. So I guess in that case, go ahead and do it.

Yeah, but Fallout won't fit. It's is 39GB with the DLC and the SSD is only 32.

Is there a way I can move my OS to the SSD? Is there a reason they wouldn't have put it on there in the first place?

What's a reasonable size for a SSD as your "main" drive? 1TB?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
32GB is kinda small for a Windows OS boot drive. Minimum I'd go with would be a 256GB boot drive. I have a 512GB SSD that I use for everything in my laptop.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Yeah, but Fallout won't fit. It's is 39GB with the DLC and the SSD is only 32.

Is there a way I can move my OS to the SSD? Is there a reason they wouldn't have put it on there in the first place?

What's a reasonable size for a SSD as your "main" drive? 1TB?

You'd just install the OS on the 32GB drive and boot from there. Windows 10 is actually kind of small and would fit, but it'd be tight if you want to use all the features.

As for a main drive, 250GB has been fine for me and is most affordable. You can use your old HDD as storage for stuff that doesn't benefit from an SSD if space becomes an issue. For me, my OS, some games, and the programs I use are on the SSD. Then I store all my documents, photos, videos, and so on on the HDD. Steam lets you choose where you want to install a game so you could just pick the SSD for games with lots of loading screens and the HDD for everything else.

I guess it comes down to what you keep on your computer. I think the 1TB SSD is too pricey for my taste ($300). You can buy a 250GB for under $100 and a 500GB for $160.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I have the same pc.. are you sure it's not a hybrid drive? Mine is 32 GB SSD/1 TB sata hybrid HD.

So the OS installs on the SSD and everything else goes on the sata part of the HD.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I have the same pc.. are you sure it's not a hybrid drive? Mine is 32 GB SSD/1 TB sata hybrid HD.

So the OS installs on the SSD and everything else goes on the sata part of the HD.

I'm pretty sure it's at least not the 1TB. Here's a portion of the specs from my order back in 2013:

Code:
8W4Y9 1 Base,Mini Tower,Extreme Performance System,8500,Configure To Order 0293D 1 Module,Cord,Power,120V,6 Ft U591H 1 Module,Screw,M2X3,K Screw Head,Modem Daughter Card,ESRS 952JY 1 Module,Bracket,Graphics,Support,Studio Xps,8500 RVW9D 1 Module,Thermal,Heatsink,95W,MNTW/SLTW NXGDN 1 Module,Software,W8H/P64,Digital Video Disk Drive,MUL24 JC80D 1 Module,Software,W8H64,England/English,DAO/BCC 4H9WH 1 Module,Processor,I7-3770,77W,4C,IVB 9TT8Y 1 Module,Dual In-Line Memory Module,16GB,4X4GB,1600M,N-E MDDT9 1 Module,Hard Drive,500G,S3,7.2K,Western Digital,XL500A MX50J 1 Module,Solid State Drive,32,MCARD,PM830,ISRT V62J8 1 Module,Dvd+/-Rw And Bd-Rom,BARE,Hitachi Lg Data Storage,INS 72KFH 1 Module,Card,Graphics,PITCAIRN XT,WIN8
Old 10-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

So, how do I know if my OS is installed on the SSD? Just look for the Windows folder on C: or on the SSD (which is K:, I think)? There can't be part of it on one and part of it on the other or something like that?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #10
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You'd just install the OS on the 32GB drive and boot from there.

I'm not too savvy (surprise, surprise...) but the recommendations from a google search point to using Todo Backup Free to migrate your OS to the SSD. Thoughts? Anyone done it this way?
Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If you can access your pc's BIOS, it would show a boot order which can tell if the OS is launching off of a particular drive. I think anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not too savvy (surprise, surprise...) but the recommendations from a google search point to using Todo Backup Free to migrate your OS to the SSD. Thoughts? Anyone done it this way?

I've never heard of Todo Backup.

If you want to install Windows 10 on the SSD, it's pretty simple. First, grab the windows download tool here:

Windows 10

Now using that tool you can create an installation file and put it on a USB stick. It should explain how to do it when you run the tool.

From there, you want to boot straight to your USB. To do that, start your computer and start tapping F12 at the screen where the Dell logo pops up. This should get you to a menu that asks what you want to boot from. You would choose the USB.

Now it should take a couple minutes and give you the option to install Windows. It'll also give you a choice on where to install it. I'd probably make sure the SSD is clear of files and formatted beforehand although I think the tool gives you the option to do it on the spot.

When you are done with that, you want to start the computer and tap F2 I believe (not sure what Dell uses to get into BIOS) to get into the BIOS. Inside the BIOS there should be a menu for BOOT. Under the priority section you want to put the SSD on top. This tells it to boot from that first. Save those changes and proceed.

Now it should boot to your SSD which has the new clean Windows 10 installation on it. Not it might get a little messy because you have Windows on your HDD also and programs that were already on there. So you'd have to create shortcuts for all those installed programs. You could also save all the files you want on Dropbox or something, reformat that HDD and just re-download all that software from scratch again.
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, how do I know if my OS is installed on the SSD? Just look for the Windows folder on C: or on the SSD (which is K:, I think)? There can't be part of it on one and part of it on the other or something like that?

If it's a separate drive, then probably not. A hybrid drive acts like a single drive. If you open up K from Windows.. what's listed on the drive?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote