Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #51
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Also - there's great radar showing how it actually curled around Cape Canaveral, sparing the Space Center.
Not sure if embedding a tweet with the vid will work,but here's a version that I've seen of that.

Good News/Bad News For the immediate Charleston area....

Good: Looking like it will be down to Category 1 when it gets there.

Bad: Not as much of a turn right near there as expected. Could even make landfall. They are now calling for much higher than expected storm surge and telling people in certain areas that if they don't get out now, they can't promise that they'll even try to rescue them.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #52
Ben E Lou

Watching a briefing from Charleston right now about the storm surge. This is sounding scary. "If you are watching this and you live anywhere in these areas in particular, turn off your TV, get in the car, and leave NOW!"
Old 10-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #53
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Im conflicted if this is good heads up or fear mongering at this point
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #54
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Im conflicted if this is good heads up or fear mongering at this point
Well, the Daniel Island/Clements Ferry area (what the guy was talking about in the quote above) in particular is pretty much uncharted territory. It was 100% undeveloped when Hugo came through, and the development took out a fair bit of wetlands, so I'm reading into this that no one really knows what's going to happen in places like that when the storm surge comes up all of those tidal creeks. The same is true for parts of the neighborhood where I still own a home, even though it's farther out (Hanahan). Fortunately for me, mine is near the center of the development, making it one of the farthest homes away from any tidal waters. But the same thing holds true there: the entire area was nothing but woods until 2005, so this will be the first thing anywhere near a direct hit since then. (And again, some wetlands were filled in, so even comparisons to Hugo don't really work.)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-07-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #55
Subby
lolzcat

Stunning Images Show the Evolution of Monstrous Hurricane Matthew From Space
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #57
Ben E Lou

Midnight to 6am curfew in Charleston announced.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #58
Subby
lolzcat

Old 10-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #59
tarcone
Coordinator

30 mph winds and a little rain in Ocala. Not much.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #60
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm in line to get on my flight. No delays!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #61
Ben E Lou

Haiti death toll over 800. Five deaths reported in Florida so far.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:53 PM   #62
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Well, the Daniel Island/Clements Ferry area (what the guy was talking about in the quote above) in particular is pretty much uncharted territory. It was 100% undeveloped when Hugo came through, and the development took out a fair bit of wetlands, so I'm reading into this that no one really knows what's going to happen in places like that when the storm surge comes up all of those tidal creeks. The same is true for parts of the neighborhood where I still own a home, even though it's farther out (Hanahan). Fortunately for me, mine is near the center of the development, making it one of the farthest homes away from any tidal waters. But the same thing holds true there: the entire area was nothing but woods until 2005, so this will be the first thing anywhere near a direct hit since then. (And again, some wetlands were filled in, so even comparisons to Hugo don't really work.)

That's a great point I (stupidly) hadn't considered.
My initial reaction was simply to your post and didnt realize it was localized to the DI
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:44 AM   #63
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
That's a great point I (stupidly) hadn't considered.
My initial reaction was simply to your post and didnt realize it was localized to the DI
Well, I didn't mention the specific areas because it was for a wider audience that wouldn't know the details there.

Streaming local news from Charleston and watching social media. Lots of "I wasn't expecting it to be this bad" from people who stayed. Trees are starting to come down well away from the beaches. (Several reports from Goose Creek, for those who know the area.)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-08-2016 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #64
Dutch
"Dutch"

This is when it gets rough. God luck to all in South Carolina.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #65
Ben E Lou

It's looking like the timing (low tide at 7:04am) is going to help the Lowcountry area significantly. It's still not good, but an additional 4-5 feet of water on top of widespread storm surge might have been catastrophic. Myrtle Beach has high tide at 1:24pm today.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-08-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #66
Easy Mac

We're in Greenville, so far away. The kid is playing soccer and the wind has been going the whole time. Not sure if it's wind from Matthew or not
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #67
Thomkal
Head Coach

wouldn't surprise me if it was Easy Mac, winds were supposed to be up way inland.

We amazingly enough still have power and cable though most in coastal south carolina don't. We still have the storm here and as Ben said, high tide this afternoon for Myrtle Beach. Going to have a lot of flooding here. Heard already I-95 closed both ways due to trees being down.

As for those who stayed in the evacuation zones, I don't have much sympathy for them. Everyone from the Governor to the local weather forecasters told them to get out, so they took a risk to stay, potentially a tragic one.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #68
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just about done with the rain now south of Myrtle Beach, though north and west of us still getting a lot. Storm surge starting to go back now that we are past high tide. Still likely to get strong gusts through tonight-still a chance of power outages. Been a lot of them throughout the county, none here though. We have lost at least some of two piers, probably the others too. The eye wall is just off the coast now.
Old 10-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

lights are flickering again as i typed that
Old 10-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #70
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I'm up in DC and it's been rainy here today, which as it turns out has been a bad thing for the rest of my family still back in NC. The front that came through here is also doing a number on Matthew, but the problem is that it's transferring moisture and energy to the front which means it's been windier and a LOT more rainy over central North Carolina than they were previously expecting. Raleigh has been pounded with several inches of rain and the usual areas of the city are starting to get flooded. It's worse south and east with flooding especially bad around Fayetteville.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 05:48 PM   #71
wustin
College Prospect

Surrounding areas and including Raleigh are losing power. Since when was a category 1 hurricane this destructive?
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #72
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
Surrounding areas and including Raleigh are losing power. Since when was a category 1 hurricane this destructive?
I'm in freakin' NW Greensboro, less than 30 miles from the Virginia border and wayyyyyy inland. Our power has flickered a couple of times here, and the city has experienced minor flooding.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-08-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #73
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Rain and storm surge are the most damaging parts of a hurricane. High winds aren't as much. So a Cat 1 that sits there and dumps rain can be incredibly destructive.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #74
Ben E Lou

So some good friends of ours who lived in our neighborhood in Charleston kept going back and forth about whether to evacuate. They flip-flopped at least three times that I know of and were considering coming to stay with us at one point. (We thought they'd be here by mid-afternoon Wednesday.) They finally decided to leave mid-morning Friday. They have family in Fayetteville, NC, so they went there since it's closer than GSO. It's nearly 100 miles from the coast, and the storm was supposed to turn earlier.

So, what's it like in Fayetteville, you ask??

City-wide water outage in Fayetteville - mandatory curfew in place | abc11.com

Our neighborhood in the Charleston suburbs? No flooding. No reported power or internet outages.

So now they're evacuating their evacuation location to return home before the all-clear has been given for there.

Bless their hearts.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-08-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:34 PM   #75
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I'm in freakin' NW Greensboro, less than 30 miles from the Virginia border and wayyyyyy inland. Our power has flickered a couple of times here, and the city has experienced minor flooding.

I live in SW Greensboro currently and I haven't had an issues with power but it's been windy and rainy all day. I'm kinda glad my parents decided to de-root all the trees in our front yard years ago.

Last edited by wustin : 10-08-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #76
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wustin View Post
I live in SW Greensboro currently and I haven't had an issues with power but it's been windy and rainy all day. I'm kinda glad my parents decided to de-root all the trees in our front yard years ago.

De-root? I haven't heard that before. Does that mean removing the roots or the opposite?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #77
wustin
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
De-root? I haven't heard that before. Does that mean removing the roots or the opposite?

Chop down the trees and getting rid of the stump along with the roots underneath the ground (hired a professional). The yard looked like a wreck for about a year but grass grows over anything with soil and it looks fine now.

Last edited by wustin : 10-08-2016 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:27 PM   #78
wustin
College Prospect

dola

I know these incidents are rare but it's better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Tree vs Hurricane : gifs
Old 10-09-2016, 06:18 AM   #79
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
lights are flickering again as i typed that

And I'm back. Lost power shortly after that for about 12 hours. I have been outside a bit-some big branches down, one on the driveway right as I was standing by the closest window to it. May have a whole tree down in back yard too-LOTS of Pine straw, pine cones, and small branches down.

Edit: The back half of this hurricane was actually worse than the front. No rain, but higher winds, and when the majority of the damage took place.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-09-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #80
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

old roommate lives in greenvile NC (thats where ECU is right?), and has major flooding.

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:01 AM   #81
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Storm surges are no joke. They are practically Tsunamis for all intents and purposes. Typhoon Haiyan practically submerged Tacloban City over here several years ago.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #82
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I've been out and about the neighborhood-lot of tree damage, and our across the street neighboor had a tree come down on their roof and into their kitchen while she sat there. Thankfullly not hurt, and they had damage to other parts of their house too. My brother who lives 5-10 mins away from us may be without power for a week or so-they get their power from poles, we get ours underground. So very fortunate indeed.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #83
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

All in one piece here - some damage to the pool screen and a tree or two down plus debris around the place, but all things considered could have been a LOT worse if not for its shift to the east before it came into my area.

Most people here weathered things fairly well, only a few missing roofs and such.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote