Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2016, 08:52 PM   #101
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, I'm really lenient about scheduling for D1/Power5 teams, I see the advantages & benefits of a cupcake or two and I'm fine with that.

However ...

this quote from the SC State coach rubs me the wrong way pretty hard
"We want them to just kind of come out and just kind of go on through the motions and get on out of there, which would probably be the best case scenario for us,"

That's about as close to saying "there's no point for us to even try" as you can get without saying it ... and that's uncomfortably close to throwing a game just to get a $300k payday.

Can it be throwing a game if there was no chance to win though? I regard this about how I would feel were I to fight Mike Tyson in his prime - I would hope to get grazed by a punch that's enough to knock me down to get the hell out of there before I got hit with something that would render me permanently affected. Just escape with as little lasting damage as possible.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #102
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I really hope the OSU/UM game has both teams undefeated. That game already looks like a classic.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #103
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So Michigan State scores 28 against Furman, then 36(at least) in the second and third quarters against Notre Dame. I find it hard to process that factoid in any meaningful way.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #104
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That loss by Iowa shouls keep them out of a new years 6 bowl now

Probably, but NDSU is better than 5-6 teams on their schedule this year.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #105
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Can it be throwing a game if there was no chance to win though?

MEAC teams are lifetime 4-78 vs D1 teams ... but there have been those four.

It's the phrasing, the attitude, that really got me.

Quote:
We want them to just kind of come out and just kind of go on through the motions

That's one sorry excuse for a HC afaic. And it doesn't speak well for the university that would have him on the payroll either.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #106
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Looks like a really good Saturday for the Big Ten.

Except Iowa.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #107
MrBug708
Head Coach

@MoveTheSticks
Watching college football, one thing jumps out-- some teams run an offense, other teams just call plays.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #108
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Looks like a really good Saturday for the Big Ten.

Except Iowa.

Not a good day for Wisconsin either, win or not.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #109
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
It's gotten lost with time, but Mike was an exceptional passer in college (171 QB rating in '99 - 3rd in the NCAA), but times were different then. 60% completion rate was considered elite (Vick's was 58% in '99). His failures as a passer in the NFL were due to a lack of effort in improving his accuracy for the next level in favor of relying on just his physical attributes. I think Jackson is as close as it gets to Mike at VT, but he isn't at Mike's passing ability yet. And that leaves him very far away from NFL level (i.e. Mariota's level) right now.

A huge part of that was Beamer cutting the field in half for Vick. Ignore one side of the field. Have 1, maybe 2 reads, and if it's not there take off running. He had excellent passing numbers, but he was never an elite passer. He only attempted 161 passes in 2000, while the top ten passers in attempts were at 415 or higher.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #110
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit that catch by Noah Brown was incredible.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #111
hollmt
High School Varsity

holy....shit....noah....brown
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #112
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Holy shit that catch by Noah Brown was incredible.
!!!!!

Btw, JT Barrett's a fucking monster. Don't understand why he doesn't get more NFL hype, or why they ever started Jones over him.

Also hate that ND didn't go for 2 there once Michigan State got the penalty. If you miss then you're still down 16 & have a chance to go for 2 twice... Score again & miss it & you're down 9.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #113
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
!!!!!

Btw, JT Barrett's a fucking monster. Don't understand why he doesn't get more NFL hype, or why they ever started Jones over him.

Also hate that ND didn't go for 2 there once Michigan State got the penalty. If you miss then you're still down 16 & have a chance to go for 2 twice... Score again & miss it & you're down 9.

Barrett is a monster. I am tooting my own horn here, but 2 years ago when he got his first start I called it. Email proof to my friends on that
As far as why Jones started. I blame the media for overhyping him from 3 games. He really wasn't that good in those games and was saved by Devon Smith on numerous catches that were underthrown a because Zeke ran for 500-600 yards in those 3 games. I mean...Jones had a press conference to say he was staying. He got the nod last season because he fooled many people with his 'skill set' and 'rocket arm' and because Barret was still a little shaky on the return from injury. Barret is also only a Junior and my money would be on him not declaring.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #114
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
Barrett is a monster. I am tooting my own horn here, but 2 years ago when he got his first start I called it. Email proof to my friends on that
As far as why Jones started. I blame the media for overhyping him from 3 games. He really wasn't that good in those games and was saved by Devon Smith on numerous catches that were underthrown a because Zeke ran for 500-600 yards in those 3 games. I mean...Jones had a press conference to say he was staying. He got the nod last season because he fooled many people with his 'skill set' and 'rocket arm' and because Barret was still a little shaky on the return from injury. Barret is also only a Junior and my money would be on him not declaring.
The hype (1st overall pick! After 2 starts, while surrounded by great talent!) was hilarious, but Urban Meyer doesn't care what the media thinks, so I do wonder if Barrett was still not 100% back by the start of the season.

Lot of time left for Barrett to show he's a 1st round pick so I won't project anything, but it's insane how little love the mock draft people give him. WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings Greg Ward Jr as a better pro prospect?!? Pat Towles?!? GTFO. Hyping Kizer as potential #1 overall now? Barrett has slightly weaker physical characteristics, but is still well aboce average in size, speed & arm strength & makes smarter decisions.

And now even if things fall their way, ND will be needing a 2 pt conversion on their last possession. Sure would've preferred to be down 7 or 10 & known before making that decision to punt...

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-17-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #115
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
The hype (1st overall pick! After 2 starts, while surrounded by great talent!) was hilarious, but Urban Meyer doesn't care what the media thinks, so I do wonder if Barrett was still not 100% back by the start of the season.

Lot of time left for Barrett to show he's a 1st round pick so I won't project anything, but it's insane how little love the mock draft people give him. WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Draft: Quarterback Rankings Greg Ward Jr as a better pro prospect?!? Pat Towles?!? GTFO

And now even if things fall their way, ND will be needing a 2 pt conversion on their last possession. Sure would've preferred to be down 7 or 10 & known before making that decision to punt...

Exactly. It was 3 starts though. BIG title game against Wisconsin, then Bama in semis and Oregon in finals. He was overhyped though and that stupid press conference annoyed me as well.
I tend to agree with you though in regards to what might have been going on with Barret and his recovery. Either way...he is recovered now.
We can discuss if he declares later
Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #116
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
MEAC teams are lifetime 4-78 vs D1 teams ... but there have been those four.

It's the phrasing, the attitude, that really got me.

That's one sorry excuse for a HC afaic. And it doesn't speak well for the university that would have him on the payroll either.

Buddy Pugh is a good man. And a plain spoken old fashioned guy.
Earlier this week he said on a local radio interview, "we want or guys to cover out here and get after it. Now that said their (Clemson) ability to get after it is a little different than our ability to get after it"

Remember this is a bad fcs team. A team that almost saw their accreditation pulled a couple years ago. Buddy knew what was in store and he doesn't believe in sugar coating it.

I did find the request for a 12 minute clock in the 2nd half surprising though.

Plus I can honestly say today was the first time I saw 2 tds scored with zero time going off the clock.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #117
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Remember this is a bad fcs team. A team that almost saw their accreditation pulled a couple years ago. Buddy knew what was in store and he doesn't believe in sugar coating it.

There are lots of bad fcs teams. Not sure I recall hearing one being told to "go through the motions"

I don't care if he's a deacon, a saint, and cures cancer ... I'd have fired his ass barring one hell of an explanation. That was, pure and simple, disgraceful afaic.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #118
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
Exactly. It was 3 starts though. BIG title game against Wisconsin, then Bama in semis and Oregon in finals. He was overhyped though and that stupid press conference annoyed me as well.
I tend to agree with you though in regards to what might have been going on with Barret and his recovery. Either way...he is recovered now.
We can discuss if he declares later
Aah, typed 3 originally but couldn't remember if he started that championship game or came in mid game... Btw, I'm not always this good, but I love rechecking my opinions & I feel I've been on a bit of a run with QB's!
Quote:
Awesome story, but talking like he'd be a first round pick or should go pro after that 3 game sample size is insane.
Quote:
Because there's a very good chance he goes undrafted or is released within a year? I know, if Logan Thomas still has an NFL job, maybe Cardale could find a team willing to develop him for a couple years on their practice squad (and he thinks classes are pointless), but it's more likely he's Maurice Clarett part 2. He hasn't even played *that* well tonight. Less than 250 yards passing, 1.8 yards per carry, 2 turnovers (albeit one that's on the receiver.)

Brandon Weeden might've been old, but he started 26 games over 2 seasons. Plus everyone thought that was a bad reach at the time.

I don't have any strong feelings on if JT will or won't declare, but I see analysts sweating Watson, Kaaya & Kizer and I don't see what they see in them they don't see in Barrett. Let alone someone like Ward (obviously can't play NFL QB) or Towles (obviously has zero pocket awareness or thw ability to make multiple progression reads.)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 AM   #119
rush_27
n00b

How crazy that players are dropping the ball before the TD line? What is wrong with these guys?
rush_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:39 AM   #120
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh. My. God.

Double bonehead play in cal Texas. All cal needs is 1 yard fir a first down to kill the game.

Running back bursts through the line.

First of all.... All he needed to do was go down and the game is over.

Nope kept on running.

As he gets to the line he drops the ball.

Note I said as he got TO the line and not past it?

You guessed it.. He dropped at the 1 yard line.

No one immediately picked up the ball.. So the refs bailed cal out by deciding the play was dead (which is a complete cop out) and gave the ball to cal at the texas 1..
Old 09-18-2016, 02:59 AM   #121
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yup that was terrible. A Texas player picked the ball up in the end zone. Essentially it should have been a touchback.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:52 AM   #122
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Chad Kelly is one of the most up and down quarterbacks I've seen.

Kelly is a gun-slinger for sure. He reminds me a lot of Farve. He can make some crazy pin-point throws that makes you go "wow." Then he'll throw it in to triple coverage and get picked.

Mizzo's offense is much improved over last year. Last years Locke looked super lost, this years Locke is a true gun-slinger himself. I felt like Georgia was likely going to lose that whole game, but Mizzo gave it away. Lucky to survive, I'm guessing Ole Miss scores 60 sixty next week, and Eason plays like a freshman after a real miracle win.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 AM   #123
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal loses a heartbreaker, by one point

Not only did Coastal miss a 51 yard FG that would have put them in the lead late, but additional heartbreak with their starting QB. Was on crutches by the time the game ended, and they went with 3 QB after that before settling on their holder/reserve QB who nearly lead them all the way back. No news yet on the seriousness of the knee injury.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:10 AM   #124
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
As he gets to the line he drops the ball.

Note I said as he got TO the line and not past it?

You guessed it.. He dropped at the 1 yard line.

No one immediately picked up the ball.. So the refs bailed cal out by deciding the play was dead (which is a complete cop out) and gave the ball to cal at the texas 1..

Same thing happened to Clemson the week before, and they gave the ball to the other team, because one of the other team's players picked up the ball long after the touchdown signal was given. In fact, Troy took longer to pick up the ball than Texas did. Texas should've got the ball at the 20.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #125
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There are lots of bad fcs teams. Not sure I recall hearing one being told to "go through the motions"

I don't care if he's a deacon, a saint, and cures cancer ... I'd have fired his ass barring one hell of an explanation. That was, pure and simple, disgraceful afaic.

Sorry. I totally blew this the first time and didnt get what you were saying.
I dont think he said what I think, you think, he said. LOL.

Let capture the full quote:
First he said this
Quote:
“You feel pretty much just like you do every Thursday,” Pough said. “When you have been doing this for as long as I have, these days sort of run together. A certain portion of it is the preparation, but besides that it’s just another day. You get yourself to the point where you just go through the motions. It’s game four. We will be through one-third of the season after we play this Saturday, and it seems like it’s happening so fast and we are so busy. There’s no time to think about nervousness.”

then later in the same interview he said this:
Quote:
“We know enough about Clemson to understand that they’ve probably not played as well as they can play. It’ll be interesting to see how they react to us,” he said. “I think this may give them a little different sense of urgency. I really do get the feel that they’ll try to really get after us. We’re going to try to do the same to them, but at the same time their get-after-it might be a little bit different than our get-after-it.”

and then finally
Quote:
“They’ve got the ability to really come out and knock us crazy if they really decide to be that way,” Pough said. “We want them to just kind of come out and just kind of go on through the motions and get on out of there, which would probably be the best case scenario for us.”

The "them" he wants going through the motions is Clemson. The whole article was written around not liking the fact that Clemson was focused after a poor showing at SC State.

Source:
S.C. State not thrilled about having Clemson’s full attention | The State

I didnt recognize initially that you thought he was telling his players to just go through the motions, and I dont think thats what he is saying at all.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #126
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I would think in such a physical mismatch the SC State coach would be rightly concerned about getting through the game without major injuries.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #127
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Sorry. I totally blew this the first time and didnt get what you were saying.
I dont think he said what I think, you think, he said. LOL. ... I didnt recognize initially that you thought he was telling his players to just go through the motions, and I dont think thats what he is saying at all.

Given the additional context, I'll withdraw my call for his head.

Just for the record, here's the specific point that set me off (bolded key difference for emphasis)

Quote:
Earlier this week, Pough's expectations for his team were abundantly clear.

"We want them to just kind of come out and just kind of go on through the motions and get on out of there, which would probably be the best-case scenario for us," Pough told The State newspaper.

That's the wording of
Clemson Tigers, South Carolina State Bulldogs shorten 2nd half to 12-minute quarters

But either that's awkwardly phrased on their part or it was some really crappy comprehension on the original article to spin it that way.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #128
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Same thing happened to Clemson the week before, and they gave the ball to the other team, because one of the other team's players picked up the ball long after the touchdown signal was given. In fact, Troy took longer to pick up the ball than Texas did. Texas should've got the ball at the 20.
Idiotic play by Enwere. I would imagine most coaches around the country have put that video in front of their team by now and told them in no uncertain terms to hold on to the fucking football into the end zone and hand it off to the ref.

I can kind of understand why they gave it to Cal though - several Texas players ran right past the ball and the guy that picked it up did so in a casual way rather than a "I'm recovering a fumble!" kind of way. The Longhorns in closest pursuit didn't appear to realize he'd dropped it before crossing the goal line and made no apparent effort to get the ball.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #129
tarcone
Coordinator

Out of town this weekend. So will throw my thoughts in now.

1st off, I thought the refs were garbage. I wont use this as an excuse though. It is just a fact.
2nd off, guess who signed a contract extension and then went ultra conservative? 7 wins a season in the teens gets you guaranteed money in the 20s.
3rd off, NDSU kicked our asses in the trenches. NDSU is bigger than Iowa on both lines. NDSU would be a great addition to the B1G to be honest. They are the 7th best team in the B1G.

This was just an ass kicking. We couldnt do what we like. They did what they wanted.

And, yes, Iowa was outcoached today.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #130
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
NDSU would be a great addition to the B1G to be honest. They are the 7th best team in the B1G. .

No they wouldn't.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:13 PM   #131
tarcone
Coordinator

Their O line and D line are bigger than Iowas. They have players from Florida, Texas, Georgia, California.

Notre Dame and NDSU for a championship pedigree.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:53 PM   #132
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
No they wouldn't.
Sagarin currently has NDSU ranked 54th overall, higher than seven Big Ten teams (Rutgers, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Minnesota and Indiana). I'm not so sure that's off-base considering their history.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #133
Butter
Coordinator

I was referring to "they'd be a great addition to the Big Ten". No they wouldn't.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #134
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
I was referring to "they'd be a great addition to the Big Ten". No they wouldn't.

Yes they probably wouldnt be. But they did add PsU, Nebby, Rutgers and Maryland.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:08 PM   #135
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

NDSU must be perfectly happy where they are. Otherwise you would think the Mountain West would be calling.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #136
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Yes they probably wouldnt be. But they did add PsU, Nebby, Rutgers and Maryland.

Big Ten is trying to expand their National appeal and bring in more revenue. Not sure that NDSU fits that bill.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:45 PM   #137
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, they don't exactly do much for the conference. They're not an academic powerhouse, and despite their tremendous FCS success, they wouldn't move the needle much in terms of TV eyeballs and would thus cost the other school money since their share of the slice would be greater than what they'd add to the bottom line.

But they could certainly handle themselves on the field.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #138
Atocep
Coordinator

I think we're getting a little carried away with NDSU. Unless we think Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington are Big 10 worthy teams as well.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 PM   #139
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I think we're getting a little carried away with NDSU. Unless we think Charleston Southern and Eastern Washington are Big 10 worthy teams as well.

6 consecutive wins vs FBS teams and 5 consecutive FCS titles. They're arguably better than the Iowa State and Kansas level programs of the world right now, with 20 fewer scholarships. They fit the Big 12 better than B1G academically.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:39 PM   #140
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Neither Charleston Southern nor Eastern Washington have the same history of success vs. FBS programs or the kind of championship run that NDSU is on. Don't get me wrong - Eastern would fit somewhere in the lower third of FBS programs (Sagarin currently rates them 89th), but look at what NDSU has done:

Code:
2006 Ball State MAC W 29–24 1–0 2006 Minnesota Big Ten L 9–10 1–1 2007 Central Michigan MAC W 44–14 2–1 2007 Minnesota Big Ten W 27–21 3–1 2008 Wyoming Mtn West L 13–16 3–2 2009 Iowa State Big 12 L 17–34 3–3 2010 Kansas Big 12 W 6–3 4–3 2011 Minnesota Big Ten W 37–24 5–3 2012 Colorado State Mtn West W 22–7 6–3 2013 Kansas State Big 12 W 24–21 7–3 2014 Iowa State Big 12 W 34–14 8–3 2016 #13 Iowa Big Ten W 23–21 9–3
Old 09-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #141
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Neither Charleston Southern nor Eastern Washington have the same history of success vs. FBS programs or the kind of championship run that NDSU is on. Don't get me wrong - Eastern would fit somewhere in the lower third of FBS programs (Sagarin currently rates them 89th), but look at what NDSU has done:

Code:
2006 Ball State MAC W 29–24 1–0 2006 Minnesota Big Ten L 9–10 1–1 2007 Central Michigan MAC W 44–14 2–1 2007 Minnesota Big Ten W 27–21 3–1 2008 Wyoming Mtn West L 13–16 3–2 2009 Iowa State Big 12 L 17–34 3–3 2010 Kansas Big 12 W 6–3 4–3 2011 Minnesota Big Ten W 37–24 5–3 2012 Colorado State Mtn West W 22–7 6–3 2013 Kansas State Big 12 W 24–21 7–3 2014 Iowa State Big 12 W 34–14 8–3 2016 #13 Iowa Big Ten W 23–21 9–3

It's entirely different when you're playing FBS, and especially P5 schools week in and week out. Depth gets exposed and their lack of recruiting base would make it difficult to build that depth.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #142
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's entirely different when you're playing FBS, and especially P5 schools week in and week out. Depth gets exposed and their lack of recruiting base would make it difficult to build that depth.
I agree that depth is a real issue and there's no doubt NDSU treated these FBS contests as a real test.

On the other hand, you put NDSU in a power-5 conference and give them another 22 scholarships, and I think they'd only get better, and the depth issue would evaporate.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:15 PM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

Wonder if the NDSU coach gets a look somewhere this year.

I had to look this up...prior coach (Craig Bohl) left after the 2013 season to go to Wyoming. Maybe this guy waits an extra year for an optimal job vs just breaking into FBS.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #144
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wonder if the NDSU coach gets a look somewhere this year.

I had to look this up...prior coach (Craig Bohl) left after the 2013 season to go to Wyoming. Maybe this guy waits an extra year for an optimal job vs just breaking into FBS.
Yeah, if Bohl fails at Wyoming - and that's a really tough place to win - that will really diminish the chances of Klieman getting a shot. It also doesn't help that Wulff failed at WSU after his success at Eastern Washington. One factor that helps Bohl over Klieman is that Bohl had extensive experience with FBS programs prior to coaching NDSU, while Klieman has almost none.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #145
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Jim Tressel?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #146
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Drama at USC:

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2016/...t-tent-circus/

Probably the right move from a culture standpoint by Helton (if true), but I doubt he'll get the luxury of seeing that culture change through.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #147
PilotMan
Head Coach

All this NDSU talk and no me around to discuss.

I wish I could have watched it live, but I was in a prior engagement with the Mrs for the weekend.

Damn near brought me to tears.

NDSU started the transition from D2 in 2004. In 2006 they went 10-1 but still weren't playoff eligible. In 2010, they lost to eventual champions Eastern Washington in the quarterfinals, on the road, in overtime. In 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 they won the National Championship.

So they've been playoff eligible, at D1 for 9 years. In that time they've been to the playoffs 6 times and taken away 5 titles. Then there's the wins over the FBS teams, 8-3 prior to last week with the win over Big 12 champs Kansas St being the biggest.

Then Wentz gets drafted #2 overall and becomes a household name.

Then the team beats #11/13 ranked Iowa.

There are no words left to describe this run. What it means to the school and the state. What it means for recruiting going forward. What it means to be a fan and alum watching what has to be one of the greatest sports runs in my lifetime, across all sports. I will likely never see anything like this again until I die.

Our coach is only in his third year with the team and his contract is for another 4 years after this one.

I can't remember a harder first three games in any of the past 5 years either. Two former playoff, top 10 ranked, teams and a ranked FBS powerhouse.

Rumor is that the Bison may slip into the top 25 after the bye week and truly make history as a dual ranked team. Nothing but an unfucking real run.

Go Bison! Enjoy the week off, because the real games are about to begin.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote