Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hopefully Obama can win that 3rd term now!

Man, I do hope JIMGA lives long enough to see Obama placed on the $50

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #52
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Now if we can only get them to remove the religious message they added in 1956.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #53
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Now if we can only get them to remove the religious message they added in 1956.

Added to paper in 56 added to coins in 1864. Or you know for more than 2/3rds of our countries history...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #54
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Added to paper in 56 added to coins in 1864. Or you know for more than 2/3rds of our countries history...

These are always the worst arguments to me. It has nothing to do with whether something is right or wrong. If something is wrong, then it's wrong. If it's been there for 200 years, then it's been wrong for 200 years.

Something in 1864 was around for 100% of our history. Thankfully it was changed and is now only 1/3 of our history.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:04 PM   #55
Dutch
"Dutch"

My opinion: It's not wrong.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #56
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
It cant just be me.

WTF is going on?

Andrew Jackson out, or at least minimized?

During the Revolutionary War, Jackson, at age thirteen, informally helped the local militia as a courier.[9] His eldest brother, Hugh, died from heat exhaustion during the Battle of Stono Ferry, on June 20, 1779. He and his brother Robert were captured by the British and held as prisoners; they nearly starved to death in captivity. When Andrew refused to clean the boots of a British officer, the officer slashed at the youth with a sword, leaving him with scars on his left hand and head, as well as an intense hatred for the British.[10] While imprisoned, the brothers contracted smallpox.

Robert Jackson died on April 27, 1781, a few days after their mother Elizabeth secured the brothers' release. After being assured Andrew would recover, she volunteered to nurse prisoners of war on board two ships in Charleston harbor, where there had been an outbreak of cholera. In November 1781 she died from the disease and was buried in an unmarked grave. Andrew became an orphan at age 14.[11] Following the deaths of his brothers and mother during the war, he blamed the British for his losses.

A former US president and Revolutionary War Hero is replaced by a criminal?

By criminal , I mean someone who actively and repeatedly violated the current laws of the United States that were applicable at that time.

Slavery aside, race aside, Id prefer Obama put himself on the bill.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #57
Logan
Head Coach

Seems like a bit of a stretch. Guessing a few of our founding fathers were also criminals under the law of the land at the time, no?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM   #58
Butter
Coordinator

So, are we really going to call "escape from slavery" a crime?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #59
Kodos
Resident Alien

Heck, everyone in the Revolutionary War was a criminal for going against British Law. Why are these people on our currency?!?

Last edited by Kodos : 04-21-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post

Sports aside, commercials aside, I don't see what the big deal about Michael Jordan is.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #61
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
It cant just be me.

WTF is going on?

By criminal , I mean someone who actively and repeatedly violated the current laws of the United States that were applicable at that time.

Heh. I knew someone would come through with a memorable hot taek.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM   #62
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Heck, everyone in the Revolution War was a criminal for going against British Law. Why are these people on our currency?!?

Totally agree. It should be Benedict Arnold and/or The Queen on all notes.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #63
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #64
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Man, I do hope JIMGA lives long enough to see Obama placed on the $50

Ain't like it'd matter in a practical sense.

I see $50s so rarely these days ...

Old 04-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Isn't eliminating the $50 and the $100 a good move to combat drug trafficking? Make them hide 2.5 to 5 times as much cash by volume
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #67
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The irony is Andrew Jackson is the only US President to ever inherit a National Debt and see it paid off in total in his Presidency.

Of course he was a vehement opposer to debt and a National Bank, so he was against everything our current society appears driven towards....

In guess being born 3 miles from his home place and doing a research project in him on the 10th grade makes me bias, though.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Obama was on currency, that would mean he was dead.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #69
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
It has to be Farah Fawcett. What middle age man didn't have that iconic poster? I imagine congress is full of guys who had that poster on the wall.

pfff Jacklyn Smith all the way!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #70
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

How about Penn on the 10, Teller on the 20
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #71
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

They should change the 20 every year. Use it to celebrate historic people, places and things, to help prevent forgery, etc.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #72
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
It cant just be me.

WTF is going on?

Andrew Jackson out, or at least minimized?

During the Revolutionary War, Jackson, at age thirteen, informally helped the local militia as a courier.[9] His eldest brother, Hugh, died from heat exhaustion during the Battle of Stono Ferry, on June 20, 1779. He and his brother Robert were captured by the British and held as prisoners; they nearly starved to death in captivity. When Andrew refused to clean the boots of a British officer, the officer slashed at the youth with a sword, leaving him with scars on his left hand and head, as well as an intense hatred for the British.[10] While imprisoned, the brothers contracted smallpox.

Robert Jackson died on April 27, 1781, a few days after their mother Elizabeth secured the brothers' release. After being assured Andrew would recover, she volunteered to nurse prisoners of war on board two ships in Charleston harbor, where there had been an outbreak of cholera. In November 1781 she died from the disease and was buried in an unmarked grave. Andrew became an orphan at age 14.[11] Following the deaths of his brothers and mother during the war, he blamed the British for his losses.

So, uh, about having a criminal on the $20 bill...

Quote:
Yet there were looming, constitutionally delicate issues that roiled beneath the surface of this victory, namely Jackson’s suspension of the writ of habeas corpus and declaration of martial law. The first was authorized by the Constitution, but the Supreme Court had determined that only Congress could suspend the privilege of the writ, which allowed a judge to “bring a body” before the court thus making it impossible for an arresting authority (the police or military) to hold a person indefinitely without filing charges. Jackson suspended the writ anyway, and went even further by imposing martial law, which canceled all civilian authority and placed the military in control. The act was wholly illegal. There existed no provision in the Constitution authorizing such an edict.

Quote:
Once again, Jackson’s actions were questionable, if not outright illegal. He essentially made war on Spain without congressional approval, overstepped his own boundaries as a commander, and summarily executed two men, which could very well have incited legal and military difficulties with Great Britain and Spain.

Quote:
He not only vetoed the Bank’s recharter, which was within his right as chief executive, but went a step further by removing federal deposits even after Congress had deemed them safe. Jackson transferred one secretary of the treasury and fired another in order to secure the deposit removals. His actions were questionable, if not completely illegal, and the Senate censured him by making a notation in their journal.

Quote:
Jackson’s views regarding American Indians also challenged the law. Treaties were and continue to be legal agreements among sovereign nations. However, Jackson refused to believe that Native American tribes were sovereign and thus viewed Indian treaties as an absurdity. Ultimately, he forcibly removed a number of tribes, most notoriously the Cherokee, from their homes. The Trail of Tears is one of Jackson’s most infamous legacies.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:34 PM   #73
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #74
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Off-hand, I don't believe you'll find me on record as supporting any non-President on paper currency.

That the choice is such an absurdly obvious bit of pandering is the comical part that caused my eyes to roll.

So, you roll eyes at Franklin on the $100, too?

I have no problem with the change, and she was the perfect woman to pick. What I find funny is that a democratic president is replacing the father of the modern democratic party with a gun-toting religious Republican.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #75
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What I find funny is that a democratic president is replacing the father of the modern democratic party with a gun-toting religious Republican.
Just goes to show how much the two parties have changed in the last 150+ years...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #76
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
What I find funny is that a democratic president is replacing the father of the modern democratic party with a gun-toting religious Republican.

And now Steve King is trying to block it.

I mean, isn't this just easy for the GOP? Instead of opposing Tubman, point out that she's a gun-toting religious Republican. Own her. Piss off the liberals. Claim an American hero as one of your own.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-22-2016 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Clarify that Steve King is behind trying to block it, not the GOP generally.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #77
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

To be fair, Steve King is blocking it, and he's always been a pretty open racist. At this point it's unclear how many others will join him.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #78
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

good point. I should not attribute one loon's actions to "the GOP." I will edit my post.