Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What's your experience with fatal gun violence?
Multiple friends or family members were killed by, or have killed civilians with a firearm. 8 25.81%
A close friend or immediate family member was killed by, or has killed a civilian with a firearm. 9 29.03%
An extended family member or an acquaintance was killed by, or has killed a civilian with a firearm. 16 51.61%
I have killed a civilian with a firearm. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #1
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Gun Violence

These awful mass shootings always make me thank God it hasn't happen to me and/or mine...until I remember the friends and family that I have lost to gun violence. Just wondering how common it is, anecdotally.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-13-2016 at 12:26 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

None of the above for me, thankfully.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
None of the above for me, thankfully.

Ditto
Old 06-12-2016, 11:35 PM   #4
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Ditto

Add me to this option
Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Add me to this option

Same.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:58 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I guess none could've been an option. Dur.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-13-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #7
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

The closest thing for me is my uncles wife's first husband. He had millions in oil and land. He beat his wife. His oldest daughter was a complete slut with guys over in her bed and with her younger sister next door. The mom couldn't do anything, as the husband would not allow it. One time he dragged his wife into the shower with a shotgun. One day he went to his parents and put a bullet in his head. He owed millions in taxes, was going to jail for evasion. Didn't want to spend his money on taxes, just crack and other drugs. Saved some money with this asshole killing himself.

Last edited by TCY Junkie : 06-13-2016 at 12:26 AM.
TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #8
Galaril
Pro Starter

Had my older brother who was 27 years old and killed when I was 14 thirty years ago. I think about it sometimes and realize he would probably be alive if there were no guns available but hard to say.

Last edited by Galaril : 06-13-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
rowech
Pro Starter

My brother's friend murdered his ex wife's boyfriend and tried to kill her before he killed himself. My best friend committed suicide by shooting himself so not sure if that counts.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #10
spleen1015
Coordinator

Google Joseph Harvey, Jr. He is my cousin.

Not sure what really happened. Some road rage that ended up with him being shot and killed by an off duty NJ cop.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 06-13-2016 at 07:32 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Probably more than I can count accurately. Off the top of my head, at least three suicides, five murdered, two who murdered, and one shot and killed while trying to rob a liquor store.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #12
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Probably more than I can count accurately.

Unfortunately this is also the case with me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'd say zero for me, but I did kind of know a guy for a short while that I heard was shot in some kind of gang related thing.

I think it is largely the product of environment, bigger cities with more concentrated populations are a far more attractive target for mass shooters because there are so many people in a small area and more places where groups of different ethnicities, beliefs and sexual preferences gather in more homogeneous settings than are available in most small towns. Since I and most of the people I know are from smaller towns and have no criminal associations, I feel like we are the least at risk of gun violence (at least of the mass shooting variety).

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-13-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
britrock88
Pro Starter

I have had multiple relatives/acquaintances killed, neither in the close friend/immediate family category, though. One was a robbery gone wrong at a Florida gas station... Another was fairly newsworthy: Murder of Eve Carson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

I think most of you know my story. Hell, a good number of you lived it with me. For a long time, I've read through this board and others more as an observer, an observer with a secret, or really more of a secret vested interest. It's taken me a long time both here and in the real world to get to a place where I feel comfortable talking about my feelings on gun violence without feeling like I was doing it in an exploitive way.

Here is what I've come to believe:

1. I personally don't use guns, and I doubt I'll ever own a gun. I don't enjoy them and don't feel like they offer me much protection. That doesn't mean that everyone needs to follow my lead there.

2. That said, we have a gun violence problem. Whether it is a ISIS wannabe looney doing the unthinkable in a night club, a racist idiot walking into a church, a man having too much to drink and finding his gun in a fit of rage, a drug related crime in Chicago or DC or any other city or an easy way to commit suicide. Whatever the example, we have a gun violence problem.

3. While I don't think that means we have a gun problem, I do think it tips to a gun culture problem. The first reaction to these incidents shouldn't be to clutch our own weapons or to the idea of our own weapons. The gun is revered in our culture, and I don't know why.

4. That doesn't me I want to take your gun. It means if you have one, I want you to use it responsibly. I want you to have gone through a background check. I want you to be licensed. I want you to have to do a background check on your purchaser if you ever want to sell a gun to someone. Because here's the thing: background checks work. They work to reduce gun violence. Maybe they wouldn't have helped in *this* case, but maybe they would in the next one. In the one we don't have to read about.

4.a. There are lots of other things I think we can do, but the background checks are a start, and a sensible one. And I think they're more important for handguns and rifles, because those are the guns used in the every day stories, the domestic violence, the suicides.

4.b. I recognize that it is a cultural shift. But look at where we've come from on issues like this. My parents generation smoked around kids, called people faggots and niggers and were generally ugly to one another, even without meaning to be. Now love can win.

4.c. That's probably the most controversial thing I'll say and I know that it will rub some the wrong way here. I won't apologize for that, and am happy to discuss reasonably.

4.d. John Scalzi.

5. In the end, Dawn Hochsprung was right. Be nice to each other. It's all that really matters.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #16
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Glenn Sharpe aka huve!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:29 PM   #17
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

My cousin was the first victim in the VaTech shootings...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #18
DanGarion
Coordinator

Where is the none of the above option?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:35 PM   #19
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Where is the none of the above option?

I quickly realized that was an obvious oversight, but it doesn't appear you can edit poll options (probably to prevent after the fact manipulation?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
My cousin was the first victim in the VaTech shootings...

Wow. That's about as relevant as you could get. My condolences to you and yours, that must have been very hard to deal with, and it's horrible that you were forced to do so. I imagine that the surrounding circus/publicity would make that even harder to properly process than most cases of gun violence.

My dad killed himself with a shotgun when I was 11, and my cousin was shot by a mentally ill co-worker with a 30-30 hunting rifle. I didn't know either particularly well, so though the impact was certainly drastic, it was mostly indirect in my case, reflected by the friends and family who were dealing with things more directly. I also had a co-worker in the '90s who was an anti-racist skinhead and shot and killed a racist skin at a gas station.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-15-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #20
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

One of my best friends growing up was shot when we were both 12. He was responsible for his own death, didnt make it hurt less.

I'm probably a bit of an outlier, as I've discussed before on here I went to a boys home, reform boarding school, Catholic home for troubled kids. Our 6th grade graduating class had 18 boys. Im 38. 7 of the 18 are dead today. 5 by guns.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'm probably a bit of an outlier, as I've discussed before on here I went to a boys home, reform boarding school, Catholic home for troubled kids. Our 6th grade graduating class had 18 boys. Im 38. 7 of the 18 are dead today. 5 by guns.

Damn. No matter where you may be physically, mentally, or emotionally today, congratulations on making it there.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

None of the above thankfully, my daughter was at FSU when an incident occurred there but fortunately wasn't in the building involved.

(I've also been involved in numerous bomb-scares in England during the period the IRA were active there, but none of those involved guns)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #23
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

A woman I grew up with from elementary school to high school and then later worked with, was shot while inside in her own home, in front of her kids, by some losers who fired bullets from the street into the wrong house. Mixed up the address on a drug hit with tragic consequences.
SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote