Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-06-2016, 10:35 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
RIP: Kimbo Slice

The MMA fighter and backyard brawler passed away at the age of 42.

Kimbo Slice -- Dead at 42 | TMZ.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Crazy. Dude was somewhat of an icon of the internet age, I suppose. I do remember first coming across of his street fights on youtube and being stuck in that space between fascination and disgust (so righteously disgusted that I probably watched 3 more solid hours of backyard fighting without blinking). What really seems crazy is that he was younger than me....he looked like he was 65 years old in that Dada 5000 fight.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 PM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Jeez, 2016 is like that 80's horror villain that just keeps on killing no matter how many times you think it can't keep going on.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #5
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The sad thing is this was coming. After his shamrock win he was required to get a checkup from a cardiologist. He did, and found that his heart was at 60%. They still put him in that freakshow match in February, and he was going to fight again next month.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #6
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The sad thing is this was coming. After his shamrock win he was required to get a checkup from a cardiologist. He did, and found that his heart was at 60%. They still put him in that freakshow match in February, and he was going to fight again next month.

That seems pretty lame...but on the other hand, I suppose if that's what he really loves to do who am I to tell him he has to stop? If his heart was that screwed up it's probably a mixed blessing that he didn't die in the ring or (directly) from fight complications, that would've created quite a shitstorm.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

You know, that brings up a good point. It's so easy to look at something like this - or for another sports example Chris Bosh and his heart issue - and say "jeez, why can't they just realize that this is so not worth it?!?" If someone told me tomorrow that I could never play video games or golf again, I'd probably go tell them to fly a kite and keep doing it as long as I could.

So really, who are we to tell other people to stop doing the things they love?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #8
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, there's allegations that Bellator submitted forged medicals for folks they knew wouldn't get approved (current lawsuit). If that's the case, and Bellator knew that Slice was in no shape to fight, but still kept throwing him out there.. Yeah. Big Problems.

Former employee claims Bellator allowed ‘forged’ and ‘falsified’ fighter medical reports - Bloody Elbow
Old 06-07-2016, 12:19 AM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
You know, that brings up a good point. It's so easy to look at something like this - or for another sports example Chris Bosh and his heart issue - and say "jeez, why can't they just realize that this is so not worth it?!?" If someone told me tomorrow that I could never play video games or golf again, I'd probably go tell them to fly a kite and keep doing it as long as I could.

So really, who are we to tell other people to stop doing the things they love?

Yeah, I was thinking about it for a bit after I said it as well...I think in principal it's a noble idea, and in cases/sports without contact I think I still agree, but as alright as the idea of a "vikings death" through combat sports (or football) sounds in a vacuum the idea also depends on someone else killing you (and potentially millions watching), which has to be incredibly traumatic. It probably isn't fair to submit folks to that risk unknowingly, if you (or the folks in charge) are aware your body is in shit shape, no matter how much an individual may be at peace with the idea.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-07-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
molson
General Manager

That guy Kimbo fought last had a heart attack and kidney failure during their fight and was hospitalized for over a week afterwards. Bellator came shockingly close to having BOTH fighters in their main event die during the fight. Also, Slice failed the post-fight drug test, so Bellator scheduled his next fight for England where the U.S.-based suspension wouldn't be enforced. What an abomination of a promotion.

Last edited by molson : 06-07-2016 at 12:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #11
molson
General Manager

Also I can't help but notice that our own Simbo Klice is currently viewing this thread. My condolences Simbo.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote