Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I suppose Andy LaRoche is the prototypical AAAA guy.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Almost on cue. The question to me is whether Williams will -- or should -- survive this clusterfuck of his own making.

Chris Sale -- Chicago White Sox were lied to by exec Williams
Old 03-18-2016, 12:18 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Meh. I think Deadspin is right there's no way Williams is doing this unprompted. Someone in the clubhouse didn't like the kid being there, someone complained and he dealt with it and takes the heat so as not to implicate someone in the clubhouse.

This just didn't appear out of thin air. And I don't think its unreasonable not to want a kid hanging around the clubhouse for six months out of the year, even if it's the most well behaved teen on the planet.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #54
Subby
lolzcat

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Meh. I think Deadspin is right there's no way Williams is doing this unprompted.

I don't know, seems well within his wheelhouse to me. A guy who never seems to have gotten over being kicked upstairs (see last year's "calls me first" comments), some ego. It doesn't feel like a big stretch to have this be just a chance to throw a little weight around.

Maybe it wasn't ... but it isn't unbelievable for it to have been.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #56
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Meh. I think Deadspin is right there's no way Williams is doing this unprompted. Someone in the clubhouse didn't like the kid being there, someone complained and he dealt with it and takes the heat so as not to implicate someone in the clubhouse.

This just didn't appear out of thin air. And I don't think its unreasonable not to want a kid hanging around the clubhouse for six months out of the year, even if it's the most well behaved teen on the planet.

This is the first thing that came to mind. Coach, player, someone complained and IMO it's a very reasonable complaint. A MLB clubhouse isn't he place a 14 year old should be hanging out all the time.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Any other job, it's a ridiculous request to have a space for a kid. I can't even imagine in my old IT job if I walked in and said, "I'm happy to work for you all provided you can give my nine year old daughter her own cubicle and PC right next to mine."

This is such a non-story. The only story here is how this ever was allowed.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
IMO it's a very reasonable complaint.

Except you've (reportedly) got a team that was ready to boycott a game yesterday over, at the very least, the way it was handled.

Since there have been no suggestions that the team was ready to sit out a day over the presence of the kid, I'd say the "solution" has turned out to be more disruptive to the work environment than the "problem"
Old 03-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Except you've (reportedly) got a team that was ready to boycott a game yesterday over, at the very least, the way it was handled.

Since there have been no suggestions that the team was ready to sit out a day over the presence of the kid, I'd say the "solution" has turned out to be more disruptive to the work environment than the "problem"

Without knowing what's going on and simply going off things we've heard/read and making some reasonable assumptions, I think both parties are in the wrong here with how it's being handled.

Anyone that's spent some time around baseball players will know that having a young teen around 25 of them that much isn't a good thing. The fact that he's out there doing drills and going through everything the players were doing is a distraction. The players may not mind, but if I'm management I sure as hell do mind.

If, and this is making a huge assumption, Kenny Williams is telling the truth that he asked Laroche to dial things back and reiterated that the kid was welcome around the team, but not to this extent, and Laroche got this upset over it then Laroche in the wrong here. With that said, I don't believe anything Kenny Williams says and that's where I believe he's in the wrong. I don't believe he handled the way he's claiming he did.

Laroche could have handled this in a way that didn't create the distraction to the team as well. Simply taking his ball and going home and letting it get to the point where his teammates are talking about boycotting a game over his 14 year old is childish IMO.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Laroche could have handled this in a way that didn't create the distraction to the team as well. Simply taking his ball and going home and letting it get to the point where his teammates are talking about boycotting a game over his 14 year old is childish IMO.

But as far as I can tell LaRoche didn't put the story out there initially (only issued a statement ... today I think it was).

And he pretty much had to say something I think, within hours of his departure there was speculation online about the reason for his leaving that ranged from serious health problems to drugs.

And, ya know, given the circumstances I don't know that I'd have been inclined to let Williams off the hook by giving a phony generic "just hanging 'em up" story either.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Adam Eaton says they're talking to the MLBPA about filing a grievance on LaRoche's behalf.

Again, this simply doesn't sound like something that's coming from the players in the locker room.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #62
molson
General Manager

Did the players collectively bargain for the right to have their kids with them at work at all times?

Last edited by molson : 03-18-2016 at 04:53 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Did the players collectively bargain for the right to have their kids with them at work at all times?

If, as LaRoche suggested, there was an agreement in place then that could be grounds I suppose (not sure what the deal between MLB & MLBPA is on that sort of thign). More likely though it I would guess something along the lines of inventing a rule out of thin air & applying it to one player specifically.

Perhaps someone closer to the Nats could clarify this if they've seen something about it but in his comments today LaRoche appeared to say that this was basically the same scenario he'd had no problems with across two clubs over the past five years. Might have been taken out of context in the quote I saw but the way it read to me was that this was nothing new & that it also wasn't unique with just Chicago.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #64
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I think regardless of what may or may not have been previously agreed upon, the fact that the White Sox as an organization allowed LaRoche to have his kid with him 100% of the time last year pretty much sets up the expectation that having your kid with you 100% of the time is acceptable.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #65
molson
General Manager

Ya, it was silly to agree to that in the first place (if that's what happened). Have a policy and stick with it, or you're going to run into some kind of problem - other players wanting to bring their kids, players and staff being annoyed but feeling like they can't speak up, other players boycotting, geez. It's too bad a kid has to be in the middle of some big controversy not of his making. I hate it when adults do that.

Last edited by molson : 03-18-2016 at 05:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The appropriate result of this would be for Drake LaRoche to grow up and play for the Tigers, Twins, or Indians and to crush the White Sox for 15 years.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #67
Atocep
Coordinator

Story keeps getting weirder. USA today reports both players and coaches complained about the kid being around the team so much.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Story keeps getting weirder. USA today reports both players and coaches complained about the kid being around the team so much.

Yeah, that qualifies as weirder. Just let LaRoche walk away & let it drop. Or, you know, man up & say something.

Instead, they leave it to a guy that it seems pretty clear the players -- on the whole -- neither like nor respect and would be happier to see gone than the player or his kid.

Incidentally, the USA Today article you mention makes the same reference I asked about earlier, that this was very part & parcel of LaRoche "for several years" which would predate him even going to Chicago.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder what is the policy about having kids in the locker room. It is clear now that it is not every day but Williams also went to great lengths to say that kids are not banned from the locker room.

I think if this were any other sport, I would be completely behind the team. But baseball has spent too much time pushing the stories of the Boones and the Griffeys for me for me to get agitated about a kid hanging out in the locker room regularly.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #70
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

LOL

@MikeBerardino
Ervin on Sano drop: "It’s tough to make an adjustment that quick when you don't know how to even catch a fly ball in the outfield."
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #71
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
LOL

@MikeBerardino
Ervin on Sano drop: "It’s tough to make an adjustment that quick when you don't know how to even catch a fly ball in the outfield."

Seeing Sano play RF would be worth the cost of admission. No idea what the Twins are thinking here, but it should be fun to watch.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:56 PM   #72
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Old 03-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #73
Logan
Head Coach

The Mets are being extremely cryptic about a Matt Harvey injury that had him visiting a "non-orthopedic" doctor.

Personally I'm hoping it's just an STD flare-up.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:51 AM   #74
Logan
Head Coach

Thankfully it was "only" blood clots in his bladder that they ruled out anything more serious with. He's still scheduled to make his OD start. But he admits he holds his piss too long and needs to remember to go more often.

This team...I'll leave my full reaction to my man Clem:

Last edited by Logan : 03-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #75
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, that qualifies as weirder. Just let LaRoche walk away & let it drop. Or, you know, man up & say something.

Instead, they leave it to a guy that it seems pretty clear the players -- on the whole -- neither like nor respect and would be happier to see gone than the player or his kid.

Incidentally, the USA Today article you mention makes the same reference I asked about earlier, that this was very part & parcel of LaRoche "for several years" which would predate him even going to Chicago.

I missed this thread until now, but it seems very obvious to me what happened. (and always did)

Some players went to Williams to complain. They Williams acted. A bunch of the "leaders" of the team threw a fit. Now the players and coaches who complained simply turtle and hide. They don't want to be considered horrible teammates, their best bet is to ride it out.

Williams covers for them to keep their confidence.

Then, as far as I can see, some of the players lost their collective F'ing minds. We lost a great leader. A 14 year old? Really? Threatening boycotts? Seriously?

Unless he has it in his contract, LaRoche is dead to rights and will not be able to file anything. I'm glad this story is dying, but damn was it dumb in the first place.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #76
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Game on..............

Royals seek payback for Noah Syndergaard pitch in World Series, sources say | Newsday
Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #77
Logan
Head Coach

Payback for a brushback pitch is a thing now?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #78
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Payback for a brushback pitch is a thing now?

It's so last year actually.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #79
CraigSca
Pro Starter

lovable little scamps!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #80
spleen1015
Coordinator

Wouldn't you consider winning the World Series good enough payback?

Royals are dumb.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #81
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL.

Quote:
@rustindodd: Ned Yost on Royals-reliation-gate: "Some buffoon writes something and you guys are gonna jump like little monkeys in a cage for peanut." Hahaha

Shocking that a NY media writer would be called a buffoon.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #82
Logan
Head Coach

That buffoon got you to believe it was "Game on..............".
Old 03-30-2016, 11:21 AM   #83
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, MBBF's swing from one side to another will give you whiplash.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #84
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
LOL.

Shocking that a NY media writer would be called a buffoon.

You realize you're the one that posted here about the brushback thing, right? You're one of the monkeys here, in case you didn't realize.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:23 PM   #85
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
You realize you're the one that posted here about the brushback thing, right? You're one of the monkeys here, in case you didn't realize.

Actually, if you consider that Mets fans didn't buy it, the Mets players weren't even aware of the story, Ned Yost didn't buy it and presumably the players weren't making it an issue, you can make the case that the Newsday guy reeled in exactly one monkey.

So MBBF, congrats on getting name-dropped by a World Series winning manager.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #86
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, if you consider that Mets fans didn't buy it, the Mets players weren't even aware of the story, Ned Yost didn't buy it and presumably the players weren't making it an issue, you can make the case that the Newsday guy reeled in exactly one monkey.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #87
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Andrew Miller just left the game after taking a line drive off his throwing wrist. Looks like the Yankees need to look for a new interim closer.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM   #88
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Cute line, but all the media was all over it over the past day. It was non-stop. People even took time to write more anti-Royals articles in the national media.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #89
Logan
Head Coach

You know what, you're right. All the media was all over it, non-stop.

Hey guys anything interesting happen with Matt Harvey yesterday? Haven't seen anything about it in the NY and/or national media. Every website and Twitter feed I can find, all I see is payback payback payback payback.