Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2016, 02:30 AM   #1
Football Frontier RSS Feed
Auto-Feed From Football Frontier

Exclamation Quarterback Update: Playing Chicken with the ?Niners

Teams looking for an experienced quarterback for 2016 are running out of options. Robert Griffin III signed a backup-plus two-year deal with Cleveland yesterday. Griffin didn’t play at all in 2015 and carries some red flags, but if you were … Continue reading →

More...

Football Frontier RSS Feed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:35 AM   #2
TroyF
Coordinator

I know of Broncos fans who have been talking themselves into Mark Sanchez. "He's never had a chance" (Ummm, 2,200 pass attempts in this league) "He's a hard worker" (So was Gary Kubiak when he was a QB, that doesn't mean he should be your starter) "If he can just manage the game" (That's the exact thing Sanchez CANNOT do and he's proven he can't do it. His INT rate is high, he's fumbled the ball 51 times in 75 career games and his sack rate is through the roof, those are the exact the opposite skills of a game manager)

I would be stunned if Elway went into camp with Sanchez as the #1 guy. The Broncos have a ton of draft picks in the next two years. (they'll get at least 2 third round picks next year and maybe 3 for losing Jackson, Trevathian and Osweiller. If they don't get Kaepernick, I would not be shocked at all to see them make a huge trade and move up in the draft to get whichever prospect they like.

The Rams have never been a huge player in the Kaep thing and they put a 1st round tender on Keenum. I think they are going to draft a QB and go into the season with Case as their starter.

If I was predicting right now, I'd go:

Fitz back to the Jets
Kaep to the Broncos
Rams draft a QB

Keep in mind, the Broncos gave up a conditional 7th round pick for Sanchez. (if he doesn't make the roster, the Eagles get nothing) My extra prediction is the Eagles won't see that draft pick.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Is it a foregone conclusion that the 49ers release Kaepernick, though? Leadership in SF has proven that they aren't exactly savvy, and they definitely seem like the type to hold a grudge. Not only that, this is a team with a ton of holes, a several-year rebuild staring them in the face, and (apparently) no great need for cap space (see their nearly complete inactivity in FA this year). Kaep clearly doesn't want to be here anymore, and the 49ers strike me as a team who could vindictively keep him on the roster just so he can't go anywhere. Which, honestly, is probably the best-case scenario for him, because he's not getting that kind of money in FA.

Such a weird situation.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Is it a foregone conclusion that the 49ers release Kaepernick, though? Leadership in SF has proven that they aren't exactly savvy, and they definitely seem like the type to hold a grudge. Not only that, this is a team with a ton of holes, a several-year rebuild staring them in the face, and (apparently) no great need for cap space (see their nearly complete inactivity in FA this year). Kaep clearly doesn't want to be here anymore, and the 49ers strike me as a team who could vindictively keep him on the roster just so he can't go anywhere. Which, honestly, is probably the best-case scenario for him, because he's not getting that kind of money in FA.

Such a weird situation.

No, nothing is a forgone conclusion. The Niners could easily keep Kaep. Why do I think they won't?

1) A ton of posturing. The more of that I see (leaks to the media, grand statements about what is or isn't going to happen, etc.) the more I assume the guy is gone. Teams that are going to keep a player usually just make one announcement "He's not being traded, the rumors are false" and then stop. They don't keep yapping.

2) Kaepernick doesn't want to be there. Kelly already dealt with a massive amount of garbage in Philly. (some his fault, some not) I don't believe he wants to go to SF and immediately deal with a pissed off player, especially not one at that position in his offense.

Could the Niners back off and keep him? Of course they could. My gut tells me they let him go.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

There isn't a QB in this draft I love and none I'd want to spend a #1 on.

I'm not sold on Wentz and Goff has seemingly way more downside than upside.

Then again I am a horrible predictor of QB development, being on record that both Luck and Newton would be flops...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #6
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think Kaepernick is staying in Frisco to compete for the job with Gabbert. Kelly is probably hoping for A: Both guys to suck enough that S.F. ends up with a pick high enough to take DeShaun Watson, or B: Kaepernick fits his offense like a glove and rediscovers how to throw a pass.

Denver will end up drafting a Paxton Lynch or a Connor Cook and giving them a chance to compete with Sanchez, who will play caretaker for a year or part of a year before handing over the reins.

The reason I think this is because Frisco has 11 million dollars they have to pay Kaepernick if he is on the roster past a date that I don't recall right off hand, but one I know is fast approaching.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-25-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #7
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I'm not sold on Wentz and Goff has seemingly way more downside than upside.

Wentz could be a nice piece if he goes to the right situation. Not sure Cleveland is that situation.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #8
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think Wentz to Cleveland, sitting behind RGIII for a year, flipping RGIII for a pick if he performs.. That would be the ideal Cleveland scenario.

FUCK EA
Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 PM   #9
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think Kaepernick is staying in Frisco to compete for the job with Gabbert. Kelly is probably hoping for A: Both guys to suck enough that S.F. ends up with a pick high enough to take DeShaun Watson, or B: Kaepernick fits his offense like a glove and rediscovers how to throw a pass.

Denver will end up drafting a Paxton Lynch or a Connor Cook and giving them a chance to compete with Sanchez, who will play caretaker for a year or part of a year before handing over the reins.

The reason I think this is because Frisco has 11 million dollars they have to pay Kaepernick if he is on the roster past a date that I don't recall right off hand, but one I know is fast approaching.

It's April 1 and I would agree with you if it weren't for the posturing and Kelly not wanting to deal with this stuff again. Again, SF has done EVERYTHING in their power during this entire deal to try to get a higher draft pick out of this. They tried to drum up interest from teams that didn't have interest. They seem to come out daily with another comment about how Kaepernick isn't going anywhere, which is followed by Kelly saying "I don't make those decisions, if he's here, he's here" to an "anonymous" source stating the owner doesn't want to deal Kaep.

The only thing consistent is the reports that say Kaep wants out and he wants out now.

Wouldn't shock me at all if they keep him. . . but if I'm making a prediction, I say they get a 5th or 6th rounder from Denver on March 31.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
Red Zone
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
It's April 1 and I would agree with you if it weren't for the posturing and Kelly not wanting to deal with this stuff again. Again, SF has done EVERYTHING in their power during this entire deal to try to get a higher draft pick out of this. They tried to drum up interest from teams that didn't have interest. They seem to come out daily with another comment about how Kaepernick isn't going anywhere, which is followed by Kelly saying "I don't make those decisions, if he's here, he's here" to an "anonymous" source stating the owner doesn't want to deal Kaep.

The only thing consistent is the reports that say Kaep wants out and he wants out now.

Wouldn't shock me at all if they keep him. . . but if I'm making a prediction, I say they get a 5th or 6th rounder from Denver on March 31.

Question is...How well will Kaepernick do in Denver?
With their Receivers, running game and defense...he may actually do well
That may be a great value if he only costs Denver a 5th or 6th
IFL Pittsburgh Pythons
IHOF Chicago Norsemen
NAFL Cincinnati Bengals
USFL Tampa Bay Storm

TFL Commissioner
https://www.fof-tfl.com/
Red Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
Question is...How well will Kaepernick do in Denver?
With their Receivers, running game and defense...he may actually do well
That may be a great value if he only costs Denver a 5th or 6th

Assuming he gets to Denver and my prediction is accurate, I think he will do very well. The one thing he has always done is keep care of the football. His career INT rate is under 2.

Kubiak will have him rolling out with limited options throwing the ball. Downfield target isn't there, go to the TE. TE isn't there, run. He will be asked to be a caretaker, but he'll be a caretaker who has the arm strength and the athletic ability to make a few plays.

He isn't going to win any MVP awards and I seriously doubt he's going to a pro bowl anytime soon. I think he will be able to lead an offense with minimal turnovers and do what Denver needs him to do.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I just don't think Denver's D will be able to repeat their dominance, which means the offense needs to improve. I don't think Kaepernick/Sanchez will be better than Manning/Osweiler. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. They were a loss away from missing the playoffs this season, and they have lost a few pieces from that team. Less depth and a little misfortune and I feel like they're looking at 9-7 or 10-6, which might not be enough in the AFC in 2016.

FUCK EA
Old 03-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Wentz to Cleveland, sitting behind RGIII for a year, flipping RGIII for a pick if he performs.. That would be the ideal Cleveland scenario.

That makes zero sense IMO. Aren't there a couple QBs in the draft next year? Cleveland should see how RG3 does and if they have another lackluster season just take a QB in the draft next summer. I don't think you can immediately cuckhold RG3 like this. He's worth going all-in on as he's still young and should be 100% healthy.

Though most draft experts agree with your take on the matter so I'm probably wrong.

Last edited by stevew : 03-27-2016 at 03:37 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I just don't think Denver's D will be able to repeat their dominance, which means the offense needs to improve. I don't think Kaepernick/Sanchez will be better than Manning/Osweiler. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. They were a loss away from missing the playoffs this season, and they have lost a few pieces from that team. Less depth and a little misfortune and I feel like they're looking at 9-7 or 10-6, which might not be enough in the AFC in 2016.

Just improving their offensive line will be a huge boost. That was easily the worst offensive line I've ever seen win a Super Bowl
Old 03-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #15
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Just improving their offensive line will be a huge boost. That was easily the worst offensive line I've ever seen win a Super Bowl

It seems like their moves have been pretty much lateral on that front though. Evan Mathis and Ryan Clady for Okung and Stephenson. I realize Clady didn't play last year, but Okung isn't exactly known as an iron man. Vasquez is also gone.

FUCK EA