Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2003, 09:13 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I just LOVE the Career Stats...

Just skimming through my old players, I found that RB Dennis Rodriguez, an undrafted free agent, had SIX 1,000-yard seasons after he left my team, including a magical year in which he was Offensive Player Of The Year.

..Then there's QB Kelvin Branch, a 6th-round draft choice who was a backup for me. This SOB has thrown for 4,000 yards with 2 different teams ince I let him become a free agent.

I never would have noticed C Bart White, a 5th-round draft choice who I cut after his first season with us, a season in which he participated in less than 200 plays as a backup. Turns out this guy had a 16-year career, and was 1st-Team All League once, with a career OPct of 20.2.

Undrafted FA G Nicky Downs got in on 50 plays as a rookie in 2013, and wasn't resigned as an RFA. He blossomed into an All-Pro by his 7th season.

On the other hand, it is nice to see that I gave up on Keith Brooking at jus tthe right time. He only lasted one more season after I let him become a FA, and was only on the field for 62 snaps for that final year.

But I missed the boat on DE Aaron Surtain, a first-round pick in 2009. He started as a rookie, and put up horrid numbers (15 tackls, .5 sacks in 16 starts). He was a backup in his second season, then got cut. I must have thought he was a bust. The @#$%$@ bounced around for a couple more years before landing a starting job in Dallas in 2013, and registering 10 sacks. He's entering 2022 now, which will be his 10th season as a starter.

DE Kennedy Zolak was a 6th-round pick in 2012. He started 3 games in 3 seasons, and after his initial contract expired, I let him go. He became a pretty solid starter for the next six seasons.

Undrafted FA Artie Wilt was my dime back as a rookie in 2017, and wasn't re-signed, but he has started for the past three seasons for three different teams. He picked off 7 passes in 2021 for division rival Tampa Bay.

I could go on and on....

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Yeah this is my favorite feature by far.. When I found out I could see all my former players I about died from statistical happiness.

If only I could keep a career on my harddrive..

sigh..
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
FBPro
College Starter

Sweetness, I need to go hunting some.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
maximus
Banned

Re: I just LOVE the Career Stats...

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Just skimming through my old players, I found that RB Dennis Rodriguez, an undrafted free agent, had SIX 1,000-yard seasons after he left my team, including a magical year in which he was Offensive Player Of The Year.

..Then there's QB Kelvin Branch, a 6th-round draft choice who was a backup for me. This SOB has thrown for 4,000 yards with 2 different teams ince I let him become a free agent.

I never would have noticed C Bart White, a 5th-round draft choice who I cut after his first season with us, a season in which he participated in less than 200 plays as a backup. Turns out this guy had a 16-year career, and was 1st-Team All League once, with a career OPct of 20.2.

Undrafted FA G Nicky Downs got in on 50 plays as a rookie in 2013, and wasn't resigned as an RFA. He blossomed into an All-Pro by his 7th season.

On the other hand, it is nice to see that I gave up on Keith Brooking at jus tthe right time. He only lasted one more season after I let him become a FA, and was only on the field for 62 snaps for that final year.

But I missed the boat on DE Aaron Surtain, a first-round pick in 2009. He started as a rookie, and put up horrid numbers (15 tackls, .5 sacks in 16 starts). He was a backup in his second season, then got cut. I must have thought he was a bust. The @#$%$@ bounced around for a couple more years before landing a starting job in Dallas in 2013, and registering 10 sacks. He's entering 2022 now, which will be his 10th season as a starter.

DE Kennedy Zolak was a 6th-round pick in 2012. He started 3 games in 3 seasons, and after his initial contract expired, I let him go. He became a pretty solid starter for the next six seasons.

Undrafted FA Artie Wilt was my dime back as a rookie in 2017, and wasn't re-signed, but he has started for the past three seasons for three different teams. He picked off 7 passes in 2021 for division rival Tampa Bay.

I could go on and on....

SkyDog, do you think it would be possible for Arlie to add the depth of career stats that FOF2K4 has into a patch for TPF after its release?
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #5
maximus
Banned

I posted this over at the TPF forums trying to push the importance of career stats in TPF;

Whats the importance of all this....

This will give the end user a sense of league onwnership. Lets see.......

....lets say there was a #1 draft choice who was a QB. This QB was one of the best ever in college history, even our own .400ss (our Mel Kiper of TPF) said this guy will be one of the greatest ever to step foot on a pro football field. By the end of his first season he has completed 87 of 147 passes, 1098 yards passing, with 12 TDs and no interceptions. Not great for a sixteen game season but the coach was only groaming him in his first season (baby steps ). By the next season you'ed expect that this QB would come out rockin'. His has won the starting job for his second year in the league. The first three plays the QB went 3 for 3 with 56 yards passing. On the 4th snap of the regular season game our #1 draft pick has broken his leg. Will be out for 13 weeks. The kid returns in 13 weeks but the coach elects to keep the QB on the bench for the remander of the season to allow for more healing. The QB returns for his third year but he isn't the same. In his first regular season game back he passes for 89 yards while only completing 12 out of 33 passes. In the second game of the season while attempting a pass on the first play of the game the QB recieved a blow by a middle LB and now this kid has 3 broken ribs......out for the season. The fourth season comes and goes as his starting job has been lost due to him being injury prone and lackluster performance. This QB ends up getting traded...and then traded again....and again........

He is know with his 7th team in his 14th year in the league. A 3rd string QB no less. He retired with the following stats;

102 completions
1243 yards
12 TDs
0 INTs

This is why this feature is important.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:33 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I love this feature too! How else would I find little known stats like Terry Lamp, who was a WR for my Bears for 5 years. Was a mediocre WR who didn't make much of an impact, but somehow he accumulated 32 tackles, including 14 in one season! Must have been a hell of a special teams player.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
Ben E Lou

Re: Re: I just LOVE the Career Stats...

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
SkyDog, do you think it would be possible for Arlie to add the depth of career stats that FOF2K4 has into a patch for TPF after its release?
I have no clue. I am wayyyyyyy on the "gamer" side of things, with no real programming knowledge at all. I just suggest stuff to developers from a gamer's perspective, and assume they're telling me the truth when they say that some things would be impossible to do without a complete re-write. I know that Arlie is aware of the career stats of FOF, so I haven't had any reason to bring this up to him in testing.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I can honestly say...I have no idea. I'd need to see the code to be able to answer if Arlie could do somethign with his game or not. And I don't think Arlie would just volunteer his code to me...would you Arlie?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Another nice touch is the ability to look at the career stats of the retired players, also.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:22 PM   #10
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:

Why not just get FOF2k4 instead?
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:30 PM   #11
maximus
Banned

Re: Re: Re: I just LOVE the Career Stats...

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I can honestly say...I have no idea. I'd need to see the code to be able to answer if Arlie could do somethign with his game or not. And I don't think Arlie would just volunteer his code to me...would you Arlie?

Arlie has told me that the database will be 3rd party friendly so that utilities can be made easliy. He said all information you would want is located there.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #12
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
Why not just get FOF2k4 instead?

Although the sim engine for FOF is very strong and the stats depth is extremely deep, I am looking forward to TPF for a few reasons and one of them is the interface and player pics. The main reason is that TPF has a better chance of being compatable with each version (like OOTP) than FOF does (at least thats what I get from Jim). If FOF could promise that each version is compatable (where all stats can be carried over to the newer version) then I would get FOF2K4.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:35 PM   #13
maximus
Banned

...oh ya and my goal is to find a football sim where I can have an ongoing career where I could play 10,000 seasons if i would like.

EDIT:

Some may say , "why don't you just start over when a new version comes out". The NFL doesn't start over...and thats the way I want to do it.

Last edited by maximus : 12-02-2003 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 AM   #14
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

In my career I watched Jamal Lewis run for over 1200 yards four seasons in a row. The next two years he fell off the face of the earth getting limited playing time as a backup to some young star. Before his contract was up, he was released and I signed him to a two year deal worth barley over 2 million.

In his 10th season he won offensive player of the year with 1626 yards and 8 touchdowns. Then in his 11th year he gained another 1400 yards with 11 touchdowns earning first team RB.

Last edited by GoSeahawks : 12-03-2003 at 01:25 AM.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:47 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I could go on and on....

Quick question.

How do you track down all of your old players? Do you actually remember who they all were and just track them down on the individual stats page?

Or is there some function that I am (once again) unaware of, that you can click and it shows you all the players who ever played for your team.

Like a Career Stats page for (example) the Detroit Lions?
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 05:15 AM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

To look at your old players, just go to the career statistics in the almanac (second from the top.) Then view one team (yours or someone elses) and voila, you can see all the players who ever played for your team, with sortable stats in every area.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #17
Ben E Lou

What Peregrine said.

HB--You've been missin' out.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:14 AM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What Peregrine said.

HB--You've been missin' out.

I'll say I've been missin' out. Damn! As soon as I started writing the question I assumed that's how you got to it. I have a good 4-5 years worth of players to review.

I think tonight will be "Where are they now..." night at the H_B estate.

Thanks for the head's up, mates.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:32 AM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I remember that guy -
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...262#post292262

I was disappointed when you traded him

Gotta look for that blocking strength...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-03-2003 at 08:32 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:36 AM   #20
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I remember that guy -
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...262#post292262

I was disappointed when you traded him

Gotta look for that blocking strength...
Good catch. I just figured that I had cut him. Now I gotta go back and see who I drafted with that 4th-round pick!
Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #21
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Good catch. I just figured that I had cut him. Now I gotta go back and see who I drafted with that 4th-round pick!
Wow! Talk about ironic! I used the 4(9) pick in 2008 (the one that I traded White for) to draft C Lorenzo Patton, who is entering his 15th season with me now. He started half of the games his rookie year, and has been the starter every since. Patton is a 4-time All Pro. Guess I can't complain, huh?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 AM   #22
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Seeing all those running back and other holdouts who became punters or defensive tackles under my regime does bring a tear to my eye.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:44 AM   #23
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
Seeing all those running back and other holdouts who became punters or defensive tackles under my regime does bring a tear to my eye.
HFP, you are one cruel dude.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:15 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

Re: Re: Re: Re: I just LOVE the Career Stats...

Quote:
Wow! Talk about ironic! I used the 4(9) pick in 2008 (the one that I traded White for) to draft C Lorenzo Patton, who is entering his 15th season with me now. He started half of the games his rookie year, and has been the starter every since. Patton is a 4-time All Pro. Guess I can't complain, huh?

Looks like things more than evened out
Old 12-03-2003, 10:02 AM   #25
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I think there is something in players improving significantly over time. I have had many players go from overall ratings in the 40's and 50's only to wind up with ratings pushing 70 after a few seasons. I had one player in particular, Jackie Slater who I drafted and busted in camp with red and green ratings down in the 40's. Now 8 years later his ratings are in the 80's.

I have also noticed this with several other players. Just some food for thought as if cutting someone wasn't hard enough already.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 10:07 AM   #26
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

WOW...I never realized this tracking feature was available...

10 seasons into my mighty Lions dynasty...

I've got a lot of researching to do tonight!

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 11:32 AM   #27
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I had EJ Henderson rated as 77 at MLB and was always my leading tackler. I franchised him to get one more good year (He was asking for $60M for 6 years) and in the middle of the franchise year he blows out his knee. He's dumped to a 32 overall, nobody picks him up, end of career. Really, really glad not to have resigned him. Really, really sweet when you get one of those right.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:45 PM   #28
maximus
Banned

Man, I wish TPF career/retired stats would be this detailed. I don't know guys....you may be winning me over on this one........
Old 12-03-2003, 03:52 PM   #29
Peregrine
Pro Starter

One minor complaint I have, well a couple, about the stats that are recorded. I've wished since FOF2001 that a stat could be kept that recorded how many Super Bowls a player had played in. I think it would be fun to be able to track Super Bowl veterans, and there always seem to be those guys who travel from team to team and luck into several Super Bowl rings.

The more FOF2004 related one is that I wish the times/reps of the League's Fastest/Strongest Man would be recorded. That way you could compare over 15 years and find out the fastest player ever!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:57 PM   #30
maximus
Banned

bump...I would like to hear more...more I tell ya.