Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Stupid FOF question

This may show my ignorance on this topic, but it's something I've always wondered since I first started playing FOF. I know you can't release a player while he is injured. Is this based on a real NFL rule or some kind of game mechanic? I'm pretty sure I've seen teams release players at the end of the year if they have a major career injury, or can at least put them on the PUP list. Or am I crazy?

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

I think in the NFL they do something like and injury settlement. Not sure though.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:37 AM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

In the NFL you cannot cut an injured player without coming to an agreement on an injury settlement. As far as what they can do for keeping a player on the team when injured, they can either put a player on the Injured Reserve (IR) or Physically Unable to Perform (PUP). They are different in that putting a player on the IR will keep them out for the season, putting a player on PUP means thay cannot practice until week 6 of the season, and teams can then activate them within a certain time frame. On either of these the players do not count as one of the 53 on the roster. I'm not exactly sure what would be done with a player who suffered a career ending injury if no settlement is reached, but I think there is another classification for career ending injuries (not 100% sure though). There is also a Non Football Injury reserve.
Of these classifications FOF only has IR, so a player who is injured but will come back at some point would be listed as inactive until returning.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

From what I understand basically that is it. When you put them on the IR, it frees a roster spot and increases your money to spend cap-wise, though I am not sure if it's the entire base salary or a percentage.

From my experience, if a guy is hurt for 2+ years he will usually retire, it's those tweeners between a year and year and 3/4 that drive me crazy!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Thanks mckerney, I figured it was something like that. It just aggravates me when you get (like I had recently) a guy who takes a major injury, lasting 1-2 seasons, but won't renegotiate his contract, and you can't cut him. He just becomes an albatross for your team for a year!
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:47 AM   #6
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
When you put them on the IR, it frees a roster spot and increases your money to spend cap-wise, though I am not sure if it's the entire base salary or a percentage.

I don't think it increases your money cap wise, but it's that only the top 53 salaries count against the cap, so a new player costs nothing if they're equal to the lowest salary, or the only cost you add by signing them is the difference between their salary and the 53 largest on the payroll.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:51 AM   #7
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
I don't think it increases your money cap wise, but it's that only the top 53 salaries count against the cap, so a new player costs nothing if they're equal to the lowest salary, or the only cost you add by signing them is the difference between their salary and the 53 largest on the payroll.

Well that makes much more sense! (I mean that in a good way, thanks!)

I have had to deal with it a few times and I could have sworn I saw the money available for players go up a tad when I put them on IR. I really need to pay to it next time, I kept thinking it was giving me a minimum salary addition or something.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-04-2003 at 11:54 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

On a related note, I've noticed that in FOF, a player put on IR does NOT free up a roster spot. From what you all say, that would be a bug. Not ?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:58 PM   #9
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

It will not show on the number of players but it does count at least on mine. I have had 57 players during the season with 4 on IR before. Just count up your red crosses and subtract from your total # of players.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-04-2003 at 12:59 PM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #10
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by fantastic flying froggies
On a related note, I've noticed that in FOF, a player put on IR does NOT free up a roster spot. From what you all say, that would be a bug. Not ?

It does free up a roster spot. But the roster will say 54 players if you put a guy on IR and sign someone else. But actually you have 53 usable players. I asked someone about it for FOF4 last year.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

OK thanks for the info.