Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2003, 03:30 AM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Wink [Conan voice]In the year 2036...[/Conan voice]

In late 2000 and early 2001 a time traveler from the year 2036 came back in time to get some obsolete computer that would fix some computer problem they were having then. He decided that it would be fun to post on a Time Travel Message Board while he was in that time, and he posted some interesting thoughts and had some heated debates...

Click on this link to read what he had to say about our bleak future and his thoughts on time travel...

My favorite part of the whole site is his thoughts on those loony Canadians...

Quote:
I've noticed that when most Americans think about Canada in this time, they think about pine trees, chooks and back-bacon. It may interest you to know that most Canadians in 2036 are some of the most efficient, ruthless and dangerous people I know. God help Quebec.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

man that shit scares me.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Will you readily be able to identify the enemy?

They will be the ones arresting and holding people without due process.

I believe he spilled the beans right there.

noop
Old 09-25-2003, 07:10 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn...I'm going to stock up on pitchforks right away, and start saving up for an electric fence to keep the "city-dwellers" away from my sheep!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

pretty interesting stuff.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:52 AM   #6
Ksyrup

I love how he's able to play both sides of the fence by suggesting that we might be able to change what he has experienced, so no one can ever say he was wrong. If we don't have a civil war in 2005, then I guess we changed history. Hooray for us!

Now pass the kool-aid.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
I love how he's able to play both sides of the fence by suggesting that we might be able to change what he has experienced, so no one can ever say he was wrong. If we don't have a civil war in 2005, then I guess we changed history. Hooray for us!

Now pass the kool-aid.

Your going to get a kool ticket for that one Mr. Ky

noop
Old 09-25-2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Ksyrup

If I knew I was going to die soon, I'd probably park in handicapped spots without a second thought.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:32 PM   #9
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

This is your second in as many days...I demand you bench in favor of Marmel or hell even cthomer5000.

noop
Old 09-25-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
Ksyrup

I have to admit, this whole subject is fascinating. And I never knew anything about it until now.

Anyway, I went to a website suggested on the johntitor.com webpage, and found a discussion forum. This was posted in one of the threads:

Folks,

At this point I have received sufficient information to be able to put the Titor story to rest at least to my own satisfaction.

For the believers (and probably the non-believers) my concluding report will not be very satisfactory. This cannot be helped - it just "is."

As I recently posted the story started out as a game - a joke - and it spun out of the control of the persona behind Titor. As I have posted many times, it was a decent piece of sci-fi even though it was crappy science.

But out of control it did spin. The loss of control reached beyond the boards themselves. Ultimately the way out for Titor was to disappear.

Now for the unsatisfying part: I now have a very clear idea about what was really going on and to some extent how destructive the game became for "Titor" himself.

For me to reveal any specifics about what I have learned, though they may satisfy the prurient interests of the community, would only serve to bring further pain and suffering to Titor, his IRL friends and his family. And so I won't.

And please don't jump to the paranoid conclusion that there is some government cover-up or that I now believe that it was all real or that someone is out to get Titor. It's none of that at all.

It's about a real person who now wishes that he had not done this to himself, his online friends or his offline friends and family.

What's more I have not established Titor's identity. Would I like to speak to him privately and seek his permission to post the entire truth? Sure, I'd love to do that. But it is highly unlikely that that will ever occur.

I've also satisfied myself as to the reason why he never reappeared. We've all wondered at the fact that if it was a hoax how the person behind it could stay quiet so long considering the notoriety. There's a good reason for it. But for me to reveal it publically would only cause further pain. (And no - it isn't because he is a time traveler or dead...he's very much alive and in the "here and now".)

Not very satisfying is it? But that is the answer that we're going to have to live with unless Titor himself decides to tell all.

Over the years I have been the one to protest against being secretive and withholding information about Titor from the Community. In the end it comes down to a matter of ethical responsibility that transcends the interests of the Community.

--------------------
E. W. "Darby" Darbyshire
Moderator - Time Travel Forum
[email protected]

Thecomments from the other members are a fascinating read. It's amazing what you can convince yourself to believe in.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #11
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

FYI guys. After my 5,000th post I'll be jumping back in my time machine and going back to my time (actually just a universe very similar to the one I came from).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 PM   #12
cincyreds
High School Varsity

Very fascinating read....

I am at work so I will have to catch up on what he is saying later.

But the War of 2015 really intrigues me as to why this happens. Are there any clues now that we can see that lean toward this happening?

I am 35, I will be 47 then, so the read definetly captures you though, even if is as some claim to be science fiction.

I have to read some more later....
Old 09-25-2003, 01:44 PM   #13
Ksyrup

Of course there are clues, you can find "clues" in anything if you look hard enough. For example, it's certainly possible that the government's crackdown as a result of 9/11 (and any number of potential follow-up attacks that we haven't experienced yet) could lead to this "government vs. the people" civil war he speaks of. Apparently, he suggested that in 2004 or 2005, there would be more and more Waco-type occurences, until 2008, when it would be "undeniable" that we were in a civil war, with the cities on one side (supported by the government, I suppose) and outlying communities and rural areas on the other.

That's the beauty of this kind of stuff - it's just like speaking to the dead, if you throw out enough tripe, people's instinct is to find what fits in their lives and could be possible, allowing them to believe things that could be true about anyone.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:58 PM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For any of the people who find this kindof interest- all kinds of it is out there. Actually, one of the coolest "future stories" comes from the tabletop RPG Shadowrun. They have quite a bit of history in the players guide that's pretty nifty.

Hell go read Grid Iron's Nebraska Blizzards dynasty over on the dynasty boards and start from the beginning as it goes from ~2000 to 30 years in the future. Truly awesome stuff.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-25-2003 at 03:59 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:45 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I just don't get how people can get sucked into this sort of thing so easily.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:08 PM   #16
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I just don't get how people can get sucked into this sort of thing so easily.

Darn time traveling sachmo. This was a thread from over 2 months ago

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:18 PM   #17
Sidhe
H.S. Freshman Team

Based on this thread I went and checked that thing out.

As a total crackpot, even I ultimately considered it hokey. But the dude did get some good hits on his predictions. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't a fiction from the start. Synchronicity works in strange ways.. there was a book about the worlds largest luxury liner that hits an iceberg and sinks several years before the Titanic disaster. Some of our best Science Fiction writers have been right on in their guesses.. I sometimes think that fiction *is* reality, on some level.

But the guy was totally making shiz up.
Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

This guy claims to be born in 1998. If he was smart he would have been born in like 2007 or something, a date we cannot prove one way or the other. I'm sure if it came down to it, someone could look up a "John Titor" and see if this guy was alive.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:52 PM   #19
Samdari
Roster Filler

So, I'm confused. Does Rutgers REALLY win the national championship, or did that only happen on this board?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:09 PM   #20
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Some people actually have tried to look him up. Howevr hospitals do not keep very good records. Also it is very hard to get a copy of a birth certificate these days with all of the identiy theft.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #21
Easy Mac

Given what he has said about divergence between "worldines" and such, wouldn't the chances of his grandfather working for IBM in 1975 be infinitely small?

What I'm saying is, the chance that he would get to an acceptable "worldline" is very small. I just don't see that happening.

And what guarantee is there that he would be able to return to his own world? Does it have some kind of homing beacon. That is, since he can't control the exact world he goes to (at least from what I gleamed from his descriptions) since there is a slight divergence, there is no guarantee that he would return to his, correct.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:20 PM   #22
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sidhe
As a total crackpot, even I ultimately considered it hokey. But the dude did get some good hits on his predictions. However, that doesn't mean it wasn't a fiction from the start. Synchronicity works in strange ways.. there was a book about the worlds largest luxury liner that hits an iceberg and sinks several years before the Titanic disaster. Some of our best Science Fiction writers have been right on in their guesses.. I sometimes think that fiction *is* reality, on some level.

http://www.starway.org/Titanic/Titan.html

In 1898, a short story was written by Morgan Robertson about how a ship named the "Titan", collided with an iceberg and sank with heavy loss of life. The story was called "Futility", and it closely resembled the Titanic disaster. Both ships were British and sailed in April with a top speed of 24-25 knots. They had the same passenger capacity of 3,000 but sailed with a little over 2,000. Also they were between 800 and 900 feet long and driven with triple propellers. Here's the clincher; both ships sank after being pierced by an iceberg on their starboard side.

And I believe the story was initially rejected because the editor of the publication did not think the story to be believable.

As far as the John Titor story, it's an interesting enough read, but that's really all.

Last edited by mckerney : 12-02-2003 at 08:23 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote