Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Ping Bengals Fans (J. Hill question)

Hill's on my fantasy team. Is his poor performance just a couple of bad games and some bad luck? Or should I be worried and/or benching or trading him?

Any insight is appreciated.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #2
Butter
Coordinator

Yesterday, nobody ran the ball particularly well, so it wasn't Hill's fault. But they also weren't playing to his strengths.

Hill performs best when lined up in the I or in a single-back with the QB under center, allowing him to get up a head of steam and hit a hole hard for gashing runs. Yesterday, they seemed to give him most of his carries out of the shotgun, which requires a bit of dancing around, and picking your way through a hole. This didn't work.

But the Bengals' center yesterday was getting dominated at the point of attack by the Baltimore nose guard, and disrupting a lot of the runs, so the holes he would usually hit weren't there either.

Even so, Hill was not in the lineup in the final minute when the goal was to get a first down by running. So I would watch another week and keep an eye out. It doesn't get much easier for the Bengals, as they play the Chiefs and Seahawks in the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by Butter : 09-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

Fumbles have always been a bit of a problem with him, but I think it was a combination of a.) being pulled after those fumbles two weeks ago and b.) the Ravens D.

I wouldn't give up on him quite yet, though with the Chiefs, Seahawks and Bills coming up before the Bye.... you could see if there are any potential trade partners.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have Hill in at least three leagues. He and CJ Anderson have both been killing me a bit. So I hope they right the ship. I have two leagues where I have both Gio and Hill. It looks like I'm going to need to start Gio only for a bit (if I start any Cincy back).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Brandon Marshall leads Worst Team of the Week | ProFootballFocus.com

Bodine and Eifert are singled out for their particularly bad blocking in yesterday's game.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Brandon Marshall leads Worst Team of the Week | ProFootballFocus.com

Bodine and Eifert are singled out for their particularly bad blocking in yesterday's game.

As a fantasy fan, blocking means little to me. Eifert's ofer on catches, though? That kills me. Really, the frickin' Bengals killed me yesterday. I guess I needed more Dalton and Green and Jones.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The problem with an offense this talented is there are only so many balls to go around and the defense has to pick their poison.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As a fantasy fan, blocking means little to me. Eifert's ofer on catches, though? That kills me. Really, the frickin' Bengals killed me yesterday. I guess I needed more Dalton and Green and Jones.
No, but it helps explain Hill's poor numbers.

I traded Hill this offseason. I felt like his 2nd-half dominance was partly a product of Gio's nagging injuries. When he's healthy he's too good to completely keep off the field, so a timeshare makes sense instead of Hill getting the 30 carries a game he did in December. Plus his off-field problems at/before LSU scare me a little... pull dumb stuff like that in the NFL and you're looking at a long suspension.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
He and CJ Anderson have both been killing me a bit. So I hope they right the ship.

These were my first two picks as well. Not so good. I managed to trade Anderson for LeSean McCoy a couple weeks ago, and thankfully figured out not to start Hill after last week's dismal outing, but just those two picks have still pretty much handicapped my team. Thankfully there's lots of problems to go round the league at the moment.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah Cincinnati is one of those teams that spreads the ball around to a lot of guys. AJ Green seems to get the most of them but they have Hill, Bernard, Jones, Eifert, even Sanu. Great for real football, not great for fantasy football.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I lost a fantasy matchup last week because of Hill's second fumble, which wasn't actually a fumble under the rules but nobody cares and it wasn't changed.

Not sure what you guys are discussing here, I'm just posting this on every thread of every forum I can find.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Thanks for the insight. I am going to keep him for now because it would be selling so low to get rid of him. He may just not be an every week starter for me now
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Hill is a bit confusing. Considered a top 10 fantasy back but they have Bernard who is also a great back who was always going to get his touches as well. I think Hill will have his 120 yard 1-2 td games in there but I dont see any kind of consistency from him with Bernard in the picture.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-29-2015 at 09:48 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 AM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

As long as they're healthy they just have a ton of skill weapons, so none of them are going to put up consistent big numbers. Any of Green, Jones, Eifert, Hill or Bernard, could put up 150 and 2 TDs, but none of them are going to dominate every week.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
As long as they're healthy they just have a ton of skill weapons, so none of them are going to put up consistent big numbers. Any of Green, Jones, Eifert, Hill or Bernard, could put up 150 and 2 TDs, but none of them are going to dominate every week.

But that's the thing. Except for the return of Eifert, it's pretty much the same as last year. And even against pre-Bernard injury Hill standards, Hill is doing very poorly. Meanwhile, Bernard isn't playing at Bernard at #1 level either, more of a mix between that player and Bernard as the #2 pass catching guy.

So something is different.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #16
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Last year they were missing both Eifert and Jones for basically the whole year and Green was out for some games and less than 100% for others. Bernard was gimpy a lot of season as well. Add to that a new OC, and Hill became a focus of the offense in a way that I don't think will be duplicated this year.

Hill also hasn't been as good, but whether that's more on Hill or a center that regularly gets pushed around is still an open question.