Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2000, 04:25 PM   #1
Critch
lolzcat

Post Single School Challenge

Ok, this is an idea, it's beyond me because I find the game pretty challenging without going over board, but has anybody tried a single school challenge?

I've been messing around with a Redskins challenge, using the "Empty cupboard" rules with the main difference being that I can only sign "local" rookie free agent (Virginia/V Tech/Maryland, effectively). I've noticed that pre-draft, Notre Dame seems to pretty consistently have about 15 available rookies. 10 of those a year could keep a team ticking over, and with a few position changes, it could be possible to make and all Notre Dame (for example) team?

Worth the bother?

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2000, 04:30 PM   #2
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

We've had some variations, such as the Buckeye State Challenge by Quiksand on the old home, and the Texas Two-Step going on here. It seems that those challenges rely primarily on luck-if you can get a stud QB from one of your schools, you're in good shape, otherwise you're pretty much screwed.

I've contemplated an "Old Dominion" challenge, using VT, UVa, Richmond, JMU, William and Mary, and the remaining schools, but the talent pool seems so thin that it wouldn't be worth it...

------------------
Bear down, Chicago Bears!
Let every play lead the way to Victory!

BEAT DETROIT!!

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 09:59 AM   #3
Critch
lolzcat

I've seen a few of the challenges with people using schools from one state/conference, but I was talking about taking it further and using players from only one school...

I had a look last night, and although certain big schools could get as high as 15 rookies in the draft some years, other years they'd be down to 7 or 8, so it's probably not feasable.

I've been trying an "all-local" Redskins team recently, using only players from schools in Maryland/Virginia/DC (in theory, haven't actually found any yet). Being a mis-placed foreigner, I've been limited to a "If it's got Virginia in it's name, it's in Virginia" rule as I'm not sure which schools are where. Didn't know William and Mary was there too, thought it was in PA or something.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 11:09 AM   #4
URSPIDER
n00b

I did a Sunshine state challenge, using only players who played collegiately in Florida or at a small college the location of which could not determined from the name. I had moderate success, especially early on since the current NFL is loaded with players from Miami, Florida and Florida State. I think Texas might also work, but beyond that the talent pool is too restricted.

BTW, CubsFan, I graduated from Richmond recently and am really excited about the basketball team this year. They're off to a 6-1 start and nearly upset Wake Forest. Giant killers again???
URSPIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 12:39 PM   #5
CubsFan915
High School Varsity

Maybe, but truth be told, I just don't follow them. I'm a Va. Tech guy myself...

Running the Richmond Confederates of the FOBL into the ground since 2001.
CubsFan915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 03:45 PM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

My suspicion is that even using Notre Dame or Fla St. or another high profile school, you'll be pretty weak (unless you are going to use current NFL players, and you pick your school based on the talent level you'd have available - maybe Ohio State?).

But into the future, I just don't think that one school can support an FOF team. Someone above posted about using the entire state of Florida, others have used entirwe conferences.

Particularly since FOF 2001 seems to give less weight to cohesion (which you might have in spades after a while) and more weight to overall talent-- you'd have to get very, very lucky to make this work (I would think).

My biggest complaint with my one attempt (the "Buckeye State Browns" from FOF2) was not in diffculty-- that was actually pretty good. It was in what I'd call "steerability" -- I felt like the team I fielded was essentially a product of the random effects of the draft. I consistently got all the best players from Ohio schools, and the real issue wasn't how savvy I was or what priorties I set, but instead it was "who was in the draft?"

Not surprisingly, my BSB FOF2 team was so-so for a number of years, but then we got lucky and finally got a stud QB (actually a few, IIRC) and we won it all.

Bottom line - it might be worth trying, but I think you might need a backup plan... maybe you can only draft ND players, but can fill in by signing 4-year minsal deals with undrafted rookies from any school, who cannot be re-signed.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote