Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

I-15 fire in California

Cars catch fire after California wildfire jumps freeway | MSNBC

Probably not affecting a whole lot of us-but had to be pretty scary when the fire jumped the highway and set cars on fire, not to mention chaos when people had to abandon cars on the highway. Hope your all safe.

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Cars catch fire after California wildfire jumps freeway | MSNBC

Probably not affecting a whole lot of us-but had to be pretty scary when the fire jumped the highway and set cars on fire, not to mention chaos when people had to abandon cars on the highway. Hope your all safe.

That spot is on the road to Vegas, and it's very difficult to get around it. So there are probably a ton of California weekenders right now trying to find another way to Vegas.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #3
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That spot is on the road to Vegas, and it's very difficult to get around it. So there are probably a ton of California weekenders right now trying to find another way to Vegas.

Sad that that's everyone's first thought when there's so much property damage (hopefully no injuries) involved but yeah, this is going to ruin a lot of people's weekend plans. I can't imagine how many people are completely stuck right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Pretty sure that's one of the most unlikely scenarios I've ever heard for the guy's boat being damaged - burned by wildfire while being towed on a freeway.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hello Pearblossom to Victorville. I'm assuming everyone can jump around the fire there. If it hit before the 138 then UGHHHHHHHHHH. Big Bear maybe?
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm going to Yosemite, so as long as the 5 is good, I'm good too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Fire off the 5 too in Santa Clarita.

This was one crazy fire. The had to delay some of the water drops because of drones flying in the area
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sad that that's everyone's first thought when there's so much property damage (hopefully no injuries) involved but yeah, this is going to ruin a lot of people's weekend plans. I can't imagine how many people are completely stuck right now.

I assume that a lot of people work over there who live in LA and also rely on the SoCal visitors as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

If the fire was that close to the road why wasn't the road closed?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Probably some combination of it being in the middle of nowhere and a lot of cars using that road on the way to Las Vegas. The only time I've ever parked my car on the interstate and stepped outside was on this highway.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've been on the road many times. I spent a lot of summers up the hill in Apple Valley and traveled back and forth to LA a fair bit. At the time the fire jumped it said that the road had been closed by firefighters. This really is an awful story. They have said that there have been casualties as well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #12
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

The fire started between the northbound and southbound sides of I-15 about 2:30 p.m., authorities said. Cars that were at a standstill near Highway 138 on southbound I-15 burned around 3:45 p.m.

It's a weird stretch of the I-15 where the two lanes are split for about 4-5 miles and the lanes are half a mile(?) between each other? The fire started in the middle of that section.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
The fire started between the northbound and southbound sides of I-15 about 2:30 p.m., authorities said. Cars that were at a standstill near Highway 138 on southbound I-15 burned around 3:45 p.m.

It's a weird stretch of the I-15 where the two lanes are split for about 4-5 miles and the lanes are half a mile(?) between each other? The fire started in the middle of that section.

I must have watched an hour of CNN live coverage on this while having dinner out last night. Not once did they explain that detail as clearly or simply as you just did. So, thanks.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post

Thank you.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #15
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Best picture I saw that shows the split in the road and where the fire was.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKNHzHeUkAAGK8Q.png:large

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 07-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That's a hell of a split, looks like an exit to another road the way it divides.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I'm going to Yosemite, so as long as the 5 is good, I'm good too.

Irony. And karma.

I left Yosemite by the back way and am returning home through the Cajon Pass. Looks like the lanes are all open now at least.