Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #1
bob
College Starter

Never Mind the Global Warming, Here's the Deep Freeze

Scientists have made a discovery about the sun's "heartbeat" that they say indicates that Earth's Northern Hemisphere will experience a deep freeze in 15 years.

The sun has a "solar heartbeat," or cycle of activity, that produces energy that causes sunspots and solar flares. Scientists at Northumbria University in northeast England developed a model that illustrates the history of these heartbeats and that predicts there will be irregularities in them. The model suggests that solar activity will fall by 60% during the 2030s.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/13/world/...ice/index.html

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh lordy....buckle up!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

God dammit, no. Just no.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

The thing that cracks me up about the anti-global warming crowd backing this as some new revelation that climate scientists are wrong and corrupt is that it's two completely different disciplines that don't overlap at all.

On one hand you've got climatologists looking at the past and present using scientific method and data to look at what is going on and where things have been in the past. The other are Astronomers using data from the Sun and a computer model that regressively predicts with a 90% accuracy rate over a period of a couple hundred years what might happen in the future.

That's like going on a massive shopping spree today, when you're already in debt, because you're sure that a big pay raise is in your future. In reality we should be continuing to move forward with ideas to deal with current problems while continuing to explore potential shifts in overall global climate.

Or another way to think about it would be for California to get rid of all the water restrictions today, because they are forecasting a massive El Nino rain this winter. It's not a logical argument.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

A few items:

1). This is coming from the astronomy department, so this is a separate line of funding from the climate guys.

2). Much of this data has been out there for a while, so I am not sure why it is news now.

3). global cooling would be much more devastating than global warming on our civilization due to the shorter growing seasons and less arable land, depending upon the severity of the snap.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Solar activity down by 60%?!? Doesn't that seem a little much? The sun's practically "off" at that point.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

I think they are referring to sun spots and solar flares as opposed to energy output.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So global warming will counteract this right?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Does this mean Arizona would become Fargo? There would be a lot of crabby seasoned citizens out here if this happens...
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
seasoned crab

this is making me hungry for lunch

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 07-14-2015 at 10:43 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So global warming will counteract this right?

I think to be safe we need to start burning everything and institute carbon minimums.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watch out for volcanoes! Mother Nature has it in for us!

YaleNews | New timeline links volcanic eruptions to centuries of cold temperature extremes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #13
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Even taking into account that mass media often does a poor job of reporting scientific news, there are some key quotes in the linked article to keep in mind (emphasis mine):

Quote:
CNN meteorologist Brandon Miller says the study looks intriguing, but it has not been peer reviewed, or subjected to the scrutiny of the larger scientific community.

"This isn't published research yet," he said. "Our ability to forecast the specifics of a solar cycle is incredibly poor. It's worse than forecasting in a hurricane season."

Doug Biesecker, who works at the Space Weather Prediction Center at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Boulder, Colorado, agrees with Miller.

He said the research shouldn't give anyone the idea that because the weather may cool, climate change is not something to be worried about.

"It's a very complicated issue," Biesecker, an expert in solar physics, told CNN. "Does the sun have a role in our variable climate? Yes. Is the dominant role? No. Even the concept of the sun being responsible for Europe's mini ice age -- it's not hard-and-fast true."

Bottom line: The research needs a closer look.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

relevant follow-up:

News about an imminent ‘mini ice age’ is trending — but it’s not true - The Washington Post