Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #1
Dutch
"Dutch"

Meanwhile...up North...

Nine Dead, 46 Wounded in Fourth of July Weekend Violence in Chicago | NBC Chicago

Good Lord, Chicago...ya'll executed another 9 people and injured 41 this weekend. Note: The Illinois capitol building does not fly a Confederate flag...so that rules that out as a motive.

Last edited by Dutch : 07-06-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Still a 50% reduction from last year I believe.

Having spent a good amount of time in Chicago I can honestly say that city is massively overrated.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's probably my favorite major city. Way better than NYC, for instance.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Nine Dead, 46 Wounded in Fourth of July Weekend Violence in Chicago | NBC Chicago

Good Lord, Chicago...ya'll executed another 9 people and injured 41 this weekend. Note: The Illinois capitol building does not fly a Confederate flag...so that rules that out as a motive.

Damn, you are such a waste of air. Are you seriously trying to use death as a little bully pulpit for your tiny mind talking points? Sit on a rusty nail.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #5
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's probably my favorite major city. Way better than NYC, for instance.

I keep hearing people say that. I don't get it.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Damn, you are such a waste of air. Are you seriously trying to use death as a little bully pulpit for your tiny mind talking points? Sit on a rusty nail.

The whole confederate flag thing was a red herring and an irrelevant distraction in SC, let alone anywhere else in the country.

It's like when Obama dropped the N-Bomb and all anyone discussed was whether he should have said it or not.

Infuriating.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
BillJasper
Pro Starter

No one wants to talk about mental health or freely available guns, so all we have left are the red herrings.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
No one wants to talk about mental health or freely available guns

or race
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chicago is not the North, it's the Midwest
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #10
Grover
Pro Starter

Meanwhile, even further north...

Man shoots off firework from top of his head, dies instantly - Yahoo News

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
nol
Banned

nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

I cant be the judge of me so you might be right, but as uncomfortable (or as stupidly) as Ive put it, I'm not advocating for more death. I'm am advocating for more advocacy.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #13
whomario
Pro Starter

"violence" gets no love compared to "crime" ...

In all seriousness: Can you explain the other markings/letters on the chart and how they relate to each other ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I cant be the judge of me so you might be right, but as uncomfortable (or as stupidly) as Ive put it, I'm not advocating for more death. I'm am advocating for more advocacy.

Then advocate, rather than provoke.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 07-06-2015 at 12:05 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Chicago is not the North, it's the Midwest
Depends on where you're from. In some places in the South, pretty much everything north of Tennessee and west of Texas is considered "The North."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-06-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I am in the Chicagoland area but Chicago is South for me. This proved a very difficult thing for me to grasp in 4th grade geography where I always wanted North/Up/Going to Chicago to be the same thing.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Depends on where you're from. In some places in the South, pretty much everything north of Tennessee and west of Texas is considered "The North."

This.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

I don't understand the Chicago love, either. I mean it's okay, but to me it's your standard Midwestern metropolis, with all the blandness such a designation indicates.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:40 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't understand the Chicago love, either. I mean it's okay, but to me it's your standard Midwestern metropolis, with all the blandness such a designation indicates.

Usually I find it's people from the Northeast that speak a lot about it. My parents LOVED Chicago, esp compared to New York City or Philly. They kept talking about how clean Chicago was.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #19
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Usually I find it's people from the Northeast that speak a lot about it. My parents LOVED Chicago, esp compared to New York City or Philly. They kept talking about how clean Chicago was.

Exactly this. It's much 'cleaner' than NYC, Philly or Boston. That's why us New Englanders enjoy Chicago.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

The architecture is beautiful.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Exactly this. It's much 'cleaner' than NYC, Philly or Boston. That's why us New Englanders enjoy Chicago.

I don't know. I didn't want to say it because I'll look like a pompous ass(probably because I likely very much am on this topic). I live a few miles outside Boston, Chicago just strikes me as a poor, violent clone of it. With a lake instead of an Ocean. And I've taking several leisure(not work) trips to Chicago.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-06-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I don't know. I didn't want to say it because I'll look like a pompous ass(probably because I likely very much am on this topic). I live a few miles outside Boston, Chicago just strikes me as a poor, violent clone of it. With a lake instead of an Ocean. And I've taking several leisure(not work) trips to Chicago.

We don't call you Massholes for nothin'

I love Boston more than any city except maybe Seattle in this country. No matter how dirty it gets.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:20 PM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
The whole confederate flag thing was a red herring and an irrelevant distraction in SC, let alone anywhere else in the country.

It's like when Obama dropped the N-Bomb and all anyone discussed was whether he should have said it or not.

Infuriating.

Infuriating or not, it may have some effect going forward. They may be voting today or tomorrow on removing the flag which has never been much of an issue with even the current governor 4 years ago saying it hasn't stop businesses from wanting to do business with her state. She is now calling for it to be taken down and has promised to sign any bill that calls for it. It certainly may be very relevant going forward.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #24
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

What does that really mean?

I've lived EVERYWHERE. I went to a southern school for parts of 3 years. The south is racist and mean. Period.

Even though I live in the west now, I have never forgotten the mean, bitchy, bullying of those so-called "Southerners".

I don't like the politics of my current region on many things, but I have always felt like scum when I've lived in the south. Nothing to do with intellect or kindness - Simply region. I hate the Southeast now. Not the people, but the environment.

Shouldn't post this, but I'm going to.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

I think just about every major U.S. city (and geographic area) can be great once you know how to have fun there. Some cities are just more accessible in that way, and, and some take a little more time and insider expertise to get to know. It took me a long time to figure out Boston even though I grew up near there, but I got New York almost immediately.

I love having life excuses to go to random cities I would never otherwise visit and try to figure out what's uniquely fun about that city. I've loved my random trips to Louisville and Little Rock in the last year or so.

Last edited by molson : 07-06-2015 at 02:59 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #26
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Kentucky is firmly in "the south". No question about it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:33 PM   #27
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Where are you staying in Chicago?

I like Boston and all, but outside of a handful of bad neighborhoods, Chicago is a really nice city. The lakefront is amazing, the business district is great, and it has some great parks and other attractions.

I really hope people don't get their impression of Chicago from the media. The murders take place in a handful of neighborhoods and are mostly gang on gang. Anyone visiting the city will probably never go near those areas.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #28
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
No one wants to talk about mental health or freely available guns, so all we have left are the red herrings.

There was a 7-year old killed this weekend. He was with his Father who was a long time gang member who was the intended target.

The police commissioner brought up a good point. The Father should never have been on the street. Why is someone with 45 arrests, many for violent and/or weapons charges out? The guy had been arrested just weeks earlier for a gun violation and was on the streets the next morning.

Chicago's biggest problem is that the laws don't matter. If you have a gun illegally (which is most of the criminals), there is almost not punishment for it. It's a catch and release. Heck, you have to rack up a few armed robberies before you see any real prison time.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I've lived near Philadelphia most my life (so it's my standard for comparison), so it should come to no surprise that I really enjoy any time I get to spend in just about any other city in the world.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #30
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Where are you staying in Chicago?

I like Boston and all, but outside of a handful of bad neighborhoods, Chicago is a really nice city. The lakefront is amazing, the business district is great, and it has some great parks and other attractions.

I really hope people don't get their impression of Chicago from the media. The murders take place in a handful of neighborhoods and are mostly gang on gang. Anyone visiting the city will probably never go near those areas.

Girlfriend had a place by Montrose Beach near the water. Though we went all over the city.

Last edited by jeff061 : 07-06-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 PM   #31
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Girlfriend had a place by Montrose Beach near the water. Though we went all over the city.

Close to where I used to live, my brother and I did a little sailing from the beach there. I can sort of see your perspective as north of there in Uptown it used to be a little sketchy., though no idea how it is now. Like Rainmaker said though, I lived there for five years and there are tons of great places to see, things to do, restaurants, museums, you name it.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #32
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Montrose is a dump compared to the other beaches. For some reason the city doesn't clean it and people treat it like shit. Plus Uptown is starting to get gang infested.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:50 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I keep hearing people say that. I don't get it.

Same. City does nothing for me.

As for Chicago's gun problem, the city is the most segregated major city in the country. It's part of why I dislike it, but it's also what compounds this kind of violence.

Of course, that's not the kind of thing that would play well on blood red right wing talk radio.

As for taking down flags AND eliminating gun violence in Chicago.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #35
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I greatly enjoyed Chicago because:

- Great architecture
- Quite a few cool attractions such as the Art Institute, the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium
- Wrigley Field
- Millenium Park (and really all of the lakefront parks)
- Pretty good club scene and bar scene
- I'm a sucker for stuffed/deep-dish pizza
- Some really cool neighborhoods in terms of food & bars

I spent May through August there a decade ago and never ran out of things to do and see, and in fact didn't hit quite a few things I should have.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 PM   #36
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Same. City does nothing for me.

As for Chicago's gun problem, the city is the most segregated major city in the country. It's part of why I dislike it, but it's also what compounds this kind of violence.

Of course, that's not the kind of thing that would play well on blood red right wing talk radio.

As for taking down flags AND eliminating gun violence in Chicago.

How does it compound the violence?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I have never been to Chicago but I want to go. It would be interesting to me to compare it to New York. I only visited NYC for five days a few years ago, but I loved it. Fantastic city filled with life and diversity. Well, what I saw of it (mostly Manhattan and Queens, along with the bit of the Bronx around Yankee Stadium and the Brooklyn Heights area of Brooklyn).

I have friends who have visited Chicago and they love it, but they also only were there for conventions in the downtown area. I'm not sure how much they were able to get around.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love Chicago. I've been there many times. It's a great city. Yes, there are very violent and dangerous parts of the city, but I've never been anywhere near them and I've never felt like I was in danger ever while visiting.

It's a good place.

I can't compare it to Boston. I've never been to Boston. I have little interest in it. It seems too insular and kind of irritating with the faux Irish nonsense and general Bostoness.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #39
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I love Chicago. I've been there many times. It's a great city. Yes, there are very violent and dangerous parts of the city, but I've never been anywhere near them and I've never felt like I was in danger ever while visiting.

It's a good place.

I can't compare it to Boston. I've never been to Boston. I have little interest in it. It seems too insular and kind of irritating with the faux Irish nonsense and general Bostoness.
Boston is cool too, but a different, older vibe. I really enjoyed all of the colonial era history there, and it's a city that feels like it has a smaller, more walkable core. Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, the Common, the Paul Revere trail, walking through the Back Bay area, Fenway Park - lots of interesting stuff to see. Cross the Charles River and tour the USS Constitution, the Bunker Hill Memorial and the campus of Harvard.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #40
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I have never been to Chicago but I want to go. It would be interesting to me to compare it to New York. I only visited NYC for five days a few years ago, but I loved it. Fantastic city filled with life and diversity. Well, what I saw of it (mostly Manhattan and Queens, along with the bit of the Bronx around Yankee Stadium and the Brooklyn Heights area of Brooklyn).

I have friends who have visited Chicago and they love it, but they also only were there for conventions in the downtown area. I'm not sure how much they were able to get around.

For anyone thinking of going, stay in River North during the Summer. You can walk to about a hundred great restaurants, walk to great stores, walk to the parks, go to the new riverwalk, and you're even a short cab ride away from a bunch of great museums. It's the perfect place to stay for a weekend getaway.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #41
tarcone
Coordinator

St. Louis is a city i dont like visiting. I stay out of it as much as possible. Some great neighborhoods, but on a whole, scary.

And I will disagree on the comment that Chicago is the most segregated city. I think St. Louis takes that honor. If you look back at voter history, the city is split North and South. Black int he North and White int he South. Usually, candidates win by getting the middle of the city.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #42
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I stayed in St. Louis while doing a 2 week training class. I chose a hotel right next to Busch Stadium - man that downtown was depressingly empty.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #43
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For anyone thinking of going, stay in River North during the Summer. You can walk to about a hundred great restaurants, walk to great stores, walk to the parks, go to the new riverwalk, and you're even a short cab ride away from a bunch of great museums. It's the perfect place to stay for a weekend getaway.
Seconded. You're also close to the CTA and can easily get to most places by train and then walk or hop a bus. I would usually take the Red Line down into the city loop and then walk from there to Millennium Park and on down to the museums, or take it north up to Wrigleyville, or transfer over to the Blue Line and up to the Wicker Park area.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #44
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I stayed in St. Louis while doing a 2 week training class. I chose a hotel right next to Busch Stadium - man that downtown was depressingly empty.
Yeah, not a whole lot. However, if you're ever in St. Louis a must-see is the City Museum. It's basically a playground for adults. It's hard to do it justice with words, but if you like climbing stuff and exploring around like a kid, this place is super-cool.

I'd also suggest heading west into the Central West End, Forest Park and into the Delmar neighborhood.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #45
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

You should all come to Winnipeg. We're even further north than Chicago, and the most racist city in Canada. We've got it all!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #46
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Oh yeah and our downtown is a hole, too. Come check it out!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:36 PM   #47
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But you can advertise hosting some Women's World Cup games!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #48
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Oh yeah and our downtown is a hole, too. Come check it out!

I've been three times in less than 3 years in ND. You have the WAM, St. Boniface, the Forks, the provincial capital, and some great food if you look in the right places (French, Caribbean, dim sum...)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote