Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
lungs
Pro Rookie

Any Security Camera Experts?

I'm looking to put in a security camera system for my whole farm. My local expert fell off a ladder a few years ago and died so I figured I'd check to see if anybody around here knows what they are talking about or has some recommendations.

Here is what I'm looking for:
-Wireless, all buildings would be within 300 yards of each other
-DVR
-Internet streaming would be nice but I'm worried that my connection wouldn't be fast enough (basically a 3G connection, maybe a little bit faster?)
-Night vision would be great for my calving pen
-Weather proof is very important, these cameras will be working in some rough conditions.
8 cameras would be ideal, the more spots I can put them, the better. I'm fairly flexible with my budget but it seems like these companies that specialize in farm security really gouge prices so if it's something I could do myself and save some money I'd do it.

My current system has been down for a while. Caught my night shift guys drinking on the job last Friday (their eyes sure got big when I walked in with a breathalyzer). I'm also always concerned about employees abusing the cows and having cameras covering all barns with animals in them would give me some peace of mind.

Any ideas are appreciated!

lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm sorry I can't help you, but I did want to comment on a couple of things in your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
My local expert fell off a ladder a few years ago and died so I figured . . .

Sometimes, I realize how isolated I am from any sort of work-with-my-hands labor. Even something as simple as a job where you spend a lot of your time on ladders strikes me as a risk I would not be able to take in stride--even as that is how lots and lots and lots of people make their living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I'm also always concerned about employees abusing the cows

Question here--is this abuse like "sick fuckers think it's fun to torture animals" abuse? Or is it more "I can do this job well in a way that does not hurt the cow, or I can do it half-ass in a way that will cause the cow to get hurt, and I'm lazy" abuse?

If it is the former, is that a problem with farm work? Are there lots of laborers who get into it in part because they get their jollies by hurting animals?

(Sorry to derail your thread. Just really curious).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Question here--is this abuse like "sick fuckers think it's fun to torture animals" abuse? Or is it more "I can do this job well in a way that does not hurt the cow, or I can do it half-ass in a way that will cause the cow to get hurt, and I'm lazy" abuse?

If it is the former, is that a problem with farm work? Are there lots of laborers who get into it in part because they get their jollies by hurting animals?

(Sorry to derail your thread. Just really curious).

I don't think it's necessarily people that get are sadistic. Cows can be frustrating animals to work around. They'll fight you when you are trying to help them. Of course there are videos out there showing sadistic people abusing animals on farms but I'd chalk 99% of animal abuse to frustration. Which kind of ties into your first paragraph about doing a job well in a way that does not hurt a cow.

I'd like to think my employees don't abuse the animals but I also can't bury my head in the sand. I did have an incident a few weeks ago where one of the guys didn't know I was watching and he just went entirely overboard. Putting in cameras will give me accountability among my employees and proof when something happens because I just can't be everywhere at once.

Last edited by lungs : 06-30-2015 at 10:11 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Ive installed a bunch of camera systems. Probably 3,000 of them to be conservative.

That said I havent touched them in 5 years. So I'm so far out of touch with current common technology Im no use to you.
Good luck.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote