Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

So the wheel on my car fell off while I was driving

So, I need some insight...

May 16th, I had to replace all four tires from a dealership I've used in the past. The main reason was the computer in my car died, but my tires were bad and needed replacement (the dealership stated the car was unsafe to drive).

I agreed and the tires were replaced along with an alignment.

The car is a 2005 Saturn L, with 125k. It's been a decent car.

So last week, I drove it and had no issues.

Wednesday of this week, I noticed a slight shim. Yesterday a little more noticeable. I did walkarounds and saw no issues.

Today, it was a little more noticeable, but I think the dealer just screwed up the alignment. The car had no alarms go off.

This afternoon after work, I was driving home and it became clear something was a problem. I called my local car repair place and told them to schedule an appointment.

I was driving slowly home which probably saved my life. On a straight stretch the car wobbled, shuddered violently, and then a horrible crunch. It smashed to the ground and I watched as the tire on my driver front side wander into the lawn.

Now, I have notified my insurance and the dealer, AAA towed to the dealer.

I took a crap load of pictures.

What can I expect? I don't know if it's repairable.

I'm ok...thank goodness for that.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams

Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

[IMG] photo IMG_33031_zpsd4tdk7tu.jpg[/IMG]
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Broken ball joint IMO. Hopefully there's not a shitload of other damage.

My guess would be like you might need a half Axel, New hub, ball joint and or TieRod. It may be the tie rod only. Could be pretty expensive, parts are probably 4-500 before labor.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola. Probably need to do similar repairs on other side as well.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Shit. Well I initially read that as "steering wheel" and thought "how does that happen?" But tire? Still insane. No insights but glad you're all right.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

By and large I agree with Steve though you may not need an axle, if you do its likely totaled. You could also need a strut depending on how hard the car fell once the tire went AWOL. Hard enough and your strut tower could be damaged. If you pop the hood in the back left corner there is a drum like circular area, look for cracked paint.

I have seen stuff like this before. What will often happen is your insurance company will handle it and go after the dealer unless the dealer is really forthcoming about it (not likely). I disagree with Steve about repairs on the other side, at least from an accident related point of view,maybe from wear and tear though.

In addition to the suspension components if I am looking at the picture correctly, you will require a fender and maybe a rocker molding and some bumper repair, as well as any engine undercovers. A new fender would also likely require a door blend.

My advice is let your insurance handle it and go after the dealer. Feel free to PM me or ask any insurance questions ITT. If you do though PM me your insurance companys name, if it is my company I am somewhat limited with what I can say.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- if the dealer is willing to handle it all MAKE SURE you do not let them put used suspension parts on it, insist on new, even if they are after market, do not let them just by whats called a knee or knuckle and put it on there.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #8
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Thanks to all.

I notified my insurance agent but it being after 4pm, I only got to leave a voicemail.

I think this is the dealer's fault. I will let my insurance take care of it.

The car was old and I don't expect much, but I do want compensation. I'm not expecting a new car, but the bill was about 1400 because of the computer repair, tires and labor (I didn't have time to bargain or barter).

Momentum had the hub drag on the road about 10 feet, I may have been going 15-25.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wear and tear repair on other side is what I meant
Old 05-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's most likely a total anyway - that Saturn can't be worth more than $3k-ish, tops (I drive a 2007 Ion, so I have some sort of idea )
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You don't have to wait until your agent opens up on Monday, you can call your insurance company directly
Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This happened to me. I was able to fix it but paid a ton for a tow. Then it was freezing for 3 months and I had to wait(no garage. Once I got it put back together I hit a deer about 7 days later and it was totaled.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not a ball joint failure.
This is a lug stud tighten issue.
Just about guarantee your car had aluminum wheels. Pretty common actually.

Also for the sake of terminology the hub didn't drag the ground the brake rotor did. The hub is what the brake rotor spins around on in the center.

Not trying to be insensitive but the vehicle is totaled. A 1995 Saturn is worth maybe 3k. You have 2K in body and paint work after the mechanical work is complete.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #14
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Its a 2005
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- it's not 2K worth of body work unless you are counting the suspension components. Assuming its a fender, rocker, bumper, and blend, your talking about $800 would be my guess.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

That may be true...but if they installed the tire incorrectly, there is fault yes?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- it's not 2K worth of body work unless you are counting the suspension components. Assuming its a fender, rocker, bumper, and blend, your talking about $800 would be my guess.

You are the expert.
Im just going off the estimate my neighbor just threw out there, he owns a body shpp.

He says around here the fender is $400, $200 on the bumper, rocker $100, maybe a hood and maybe a door. If not 16-20 hours to mount and smooth.
$200 for paint and 3 more hours for blend.

He is throwing those numbers as I type....so who knows.

We've been in the home brew for a few hours
Old 05-29-2015, 09:11 PM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You are the expert.
Im just going off the estimate my neighbor just threw out there, he owns a body shpp.

Enough said.

I work for an insurance company and he owns a body shop !!

Not sure where he gets a hood from unless he thinks it was thrust up and bent the crush zone. He may mean blending the hood because of the fender replacement.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

He says "look where that fender is bowed down. The saturn uses a radial axis mounting and support arm. If that outer corner is bowed down like it looks like it cant be straightened it'll end up replaced."
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #20
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

[IMG] photo Car 004_zpsv1t7js3h.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #21
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Yeah. Much worse in that picture.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
He says "look where that fender is bowed down. The saturn uses a radial axis mounting and support arm. If that outer corner is bowed down like it looks like it cant be straightened it'll end up replaced."

Never heard that but he certainly could be and likely is correct.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

photo Car 037_zpsgkbu8rzi.jpg
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #24
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

photo Car 034_zpsowqjqxag.jpg
Old 05-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #25
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Granted it was an old car, but it was my old car and it was working fine until this tire change.

Last edited by Qwikshot : 05-29-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Glad you are safe.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hope they dont try the excuse that you're supposed to have your lugs rechecked after 50mi.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #28
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Claim made with Erie.

Spoke with the dealership, they are very apologetic and are investigating (Monday it'll get evaluated).
Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM   #29
bob
College Starter

Hope things work out...

Reminded me of this:

Ron White - Sears Tire Guy (They Call Me "Tater Salad") - YouTube
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hope things work out...

Reminded me of this:

Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #31
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hope things work out...

Reminded me of this:

First thing I thought of..... It fell off,it FELL OFF, IT FELL THE F%&- OFF
Old 06-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #32
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So I had something like this happen to me, but no dealership involved.

This was maybe 20-22 years ago. I was driving a 1980 Toyota Celica (I was a college kid, older car).

I was driving home really late one night (like 2 a.m.) and the freeway I was on was pretty much empty. My car started to rock a whole bunch. I had been having tire issues (alignment was not fixable due to a previous crash), so I started to move over to the side of the road, figuring I had a flat.

All of a sudden, the front left side of my car just dropped, hard, and crashed to the asphalt. There was a loud screech, and I was kinda thrown forward (had my seatbelt on, so didn't go nowhere). When I looked up, I was looking ahead along the freeway...and I shit you not, I was watching my tire roll down the freeway, bouncing, all on its own. Must have gone a good half to three-quarters mile before it toppled over in the emergency lane in the middle of the freeway.

There was metal fatigue in the old wheels I was running on. The metal pretty much sheared off around the lug nuts. Crazy. On top of getting new wheels, I needed a new axle, too (of course), and some other stuff.

Hope it works out for you, Qwik.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #33
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Never had that happen, but I have been hit by wheels that came off of moving cars twice...

- first time I was driving down the road in my Alfa and one came off a car going in the opposite direction and it bounce up and hit my drivers side door (about 6" from my head)

- second time, the wheel on a car came off, rolled down the hill of my yard and slammed into my house, about 6" from my livingroom window...

Hoping these things don't actually occur in threes...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote