Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:59 AM   #101
SackAttack
Head Coach

How sad. I think I saw better behavior from the shopper hooligans on the day after Thanksgiving today than I'm seeing in this thread.

That said, a few things that come to mind:

1) First and foremost, condolences on the loss. It's never easy to lose someone you love, and to have it happen on the tail end of what had to have already been a rough week just flat out sucks. My prayers are with you.

2) Joe, Arlie, I'm sorry, but whether you find it offensive or not is irrelevant: timing in and of itself is a pernicious beast, and timing combined with a poor track record is *always* going to raise eyebrows, regardless of whether or not the matter at hand is legitimate or even relevant. It comes with the territory. If you want to shut the idiots up who are looking for an excuse to crow or drag .400's name through the mud, either grow a thick skin, or find a way to put an end to the cycle of PR fiascos that .400 seems to be suffering from. It's a harsh thing to say, I know, but it's absolutely a relevant point.

That isn't to say that those are my feelings on the matter, because they aren't. I simply mean that people are entitled to draw conclusions based upon the evidence at hand, and the conclusion they draw may be baseless, it may be crude, and it may be downright malignant, but griping about an entire community on the basis of a few naysayers is a little bit like worrying about the speck in your neighbor's eye before you deal with the beam in your own. Let your actions speak loudly, and their words will mean diddly squat, is what I guess I'm trying to say.

I apologize for the semi-rant here, as I really didn't mean to get off on that tangent. Nor, really, am I trying to impart the impression that .400 is the party in need of correction here, but it comes down to the fact that several people have already addressed the poor behavior on the part of 44Niners that started this whole brouhaha, and I haven't really seen anybody say much in the way of what I was feeling on the matter, so I kinda needed to get that off my chest.

Again, lest what I had to say in the last few paragraphs detract from the main (if perhaps subdued) thrust of my post, my condolences to Gary and his family on their loss, and my heartfelt prayers are with them.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:11 AM   #102
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is it my imagination or are threads vanishing from this post?
Old 11-29-2003, 02:12 AM   #103
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it's coming from SkyDog or Ryan, neither of them are even on the list of people online. Might be from someone deleting their posts.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:20 AM   #104
WillyWTE
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
but griping about an entire community on the basis of a few naysayers...

I think this really is the underlying lesson in this thread. HA fell into this with his post above labelling the fanboy-ism as a .400 trademark as did Joe in labelling FOFC based on niners comment. Sad thing is even in a virtual world we can't overlook grouping minority opinions/actions as the overall view of a community.

Willy

Last edited by WillyWTE : 11-29-2003 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:42 AM   #105
maximus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
I don't think it's coming from SkyDog or Ryan, neither of them are even on the list of people online. Might be from someone deleting their posts.

I deleted my posts because I was wrong for saying what I said to someone else on this board. He PMed me and told me that I was wrong, I thought about it...and he was right.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:45 AM   #106
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
I deleted my posts because I was wrong for saying what I said to someone else on this board. He PMed me and told me that I was wrong, I thought about it...and he was right.

Takes a big man to admit his mistakes, maximus.

When it all comes down to it, everybody.. .400, FOFC, OOTP, everybody.. is part of a community.

A raggedy-ass community at times, agreed, and we quarrell, fuss, hate and scream, just like every other community, but deep down we're all fans of sports sims.

Just remember, even then, we all have common ground. It's a matter of finding it.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:45 AM   #107
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Sorry Gary for your loss.

Just for the record, as a member of this community I am ashamed of this thread.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:47 AM   #108
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
I don't know Troy, the government tried to cover up Roswell, the Moon Landing hoax, the fact that the holocaust never happened, the Stone Masons, the Philadelphia Experiment and countless other things. All of them got out and they are stronger than ever.

You forgot the most obvious one. Duh! Kennedy "died" 40 years ago. Everyone knows he and Marilyn got a bad pad down in Cuba! Elvis stops by on his way to Jim Morrison's every Kwanzaa...

Old 11-29-2003, 02:54 AM   #109
pjstp20
High School Varsity

I have to agree with Sack Attacks second point. .400 should have been prepared for anything with this release, and made SURE that it went off without a hitch. All condolences to anyones loss, I'm not belittling that. I just cant understand why more concern isn't shown about meeting deadlines. No comapany can survive like that. This is the THIRD time, so what happened lately wasnt your first chance, and isnt an excuse. A monkey should have been able to execute that release, thats how prepared you needed to be. Now a lot of people are gonna be tenative about buying anything from you guys and they should be.

Last edited by pjstp20 : 11-29-2003 at 02:56 AM.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:01 AM   #110
Bad-example
College Starter

Gary,

As I posted at the .400 board, I don't know you and am not a .400 customer, but I wish to offer my most sincere condolences on your loss.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Old 11-29-2003, 03:15 AM   #111
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel
I cannot let you guys have the midgets until sometime Sunday afternoon. Sorry.

Old 11-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #112
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Third, hmm, I had a third point when I thought through this post. Oh well, for right now I'll just use this space to go off the thread topic and say how nice it is to be in first place (sorry Jeeber ).

Don't worry, Carolina will make sure you're not in first for long...

Yikes, what a thread. All I have to contribute is my deepest condolances, Gary...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
Old 11-29-2003, 04:23 AM   #113
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I'm embarassed by all of this.

My condolences to Gary for his loss. I hope that you and your family can help one another.

As far as Joe's comment goes, I have no problem with it. The wording he chose was not the greatest, and he said as much. He came here, saw the load of horse dookey coming down on one of his team. A guy who's going through a great deal of turmoil right now, and Joe stood up, took the bat in is hands, and whacked away. Good for you, Joe.

I appreciate that you chose to moderate your choice of words later on, and remove the broad stroke, but as far as reacting to protect the real life concerns of one of your own, kudos to you.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:57 AM   #114
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Noble_Platypus
I saw the post after Joe had responded. Had I seen it earlier I would have posted what an asshole 44niners fan is. I havent seen people this wouund up since Darkiller posted all of his anti USA dixie chick mentality thoughts on here awhile ago. Come to think of it, he likes the 49ers too. Maybe there is a pttern here....

shut up dude.
go play your VCR tape of Turkey Bush in Badgad again. I bet it brings tears to your eyes every time you see it.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:11 AM   #115
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

The most important stuff that needed to happen has now happened. Closed.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:44 AM   #116
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

....although I must use my mod powers to make one final comment.

Seeing Hell Atlantic get called a fanboy for anything, especially Solecismic, might be the most delicious piece of irony that I've seen in my 34 years on this planet.