Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
JeeberD
General Manager

Ping: Folks in Ohio

Y'all be careful if you have to drive along this highway. Well, all of ya except for Shorty. We all know he isn't old enough to drive yet...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reports Say More Cars Shot at on Ohio Highway

COLUMBUS, Ohio — More people have reported shots possibly being fired at vehicles along the same stretch of highway where a woman was killed when a bullet penetrated a car door, including one shooting confirmed by authorities Thursday.

Authorities were investigating 10 shootings on or near a stretch of Interstate 270, the highway that circles Columbus, said Franklin County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Steve Martin.

Extra police were sent to patrol the area Thursday.

The first shooting was reported in May and others had come in the past 6 weeks in the area just south of Columbus. Tuesday's killing of Gail Knisley, 62, made a total of nine.

Since the killing, Martin said Thursday, several other people have reported that their vehicles may have been hit by bullets along I-270.

Martin said the latest confirmed report involved a woman who got a flat tire Oct. 10 while driving near the interstate. She was told the tire had been shot when she got it replaced, he said. She did not file a report with police.

Martin said authorities don't know yet have any definite physical evidence to show that all the cases are linked and said he is "not ready" to say if the shots have been fired by a sniper.

The sparsely populated area includes woods frequented by hunters and people practicing target shooting, along with industrial sites and some suburban neighborhoods.

Martin would not speculate on the type of weapon used.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #2
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Saw this this morning on the news. I drive on this fricken road everytime i go near Columbus. Wish they had said which part of loop this is on...............
Old 11-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Dola-

I know it says on the south side of town, but i want more info damn it! What exit, i am there almost every week or two. Hopefully he only likes shooting at cars
Old 11-28-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

That's about 5-10 minutes from my house, so I have plenty of info on it. For those who use the Outerbelt in Columbus, its between the I-71 Exit, and the Rt. 23 exit.

For those who live further away that want more information, the local news websites are http://www.10tv.com and http://www.nbc4columbus.com . Both of those seem to have a pretty good amount of information on the happenings. If anyone wants to know any specifics, I'll see what I can do to find out, if i don't already know

I drive on that stretch a bunch, as its the easiest way for us to get to I-70 (connects columbus to wheeling, wva and indianapolis). This is really scary, I'm just hoping that they'll find whoever it is (assuming they're connected) as soon as possible.

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 11-28-2003 at 02:29 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:52 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

thats great! that is exactly the area i am always going on since i will come down I-71 and cut over to 23 to head down towards Jackson, OH. And i also go a few miles past rt. 23 to another place we relay loads.

Normally i wouldn't much care, but one of our drivers was shot 3 times and is now paralyzed from waist down. She was shot going through Dallas from a pickup truck that didn't like the fact she COULD NOT move over for him when he got on the interstate. He came up on the driver side, rolled down the window and started shooting. So, things are a little wierd out there for us no. Another team also had some kids drop something from an overpass and it took out the driver window, the guy driving got blasted with glass including pieces into the eyes. Luckily they got the truck pulled over without hurting anyone else. We've has some other good luck stories for our drivers, don't need this increasing the chances of something happening......
Old 11-28-2003, 05:14 PM   #6
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Yeah, that would definitely be in your area of driving. I'm used to going down Rt. 23 as well going into circleville or chillicothe, so I'm very familiar with that stretch of road. Apparantly, a recent shooting occurred at the first light once you get off of 270 onto 23 South (the way you would go), I believe the intersection was 23 and Rathmell Road, or something along those lines. Lucky for me, I live south of 270, so I can take backroads to get to 23. If you need any more information about the area, or just anything else, you can PM me and I'll gladly answer back.

Danny

Last edited by TurnerONU22 : 11-28-2003 at 05:19 PM.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Grand Theft Auto made them do it!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Everytime i hear 99 luftballons.. it makes me want to run over pedestrians..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Damn glad I go down 315 now instead of 270 to get to 71 North.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Reminds me of what DC was like during the sniper. I had to commute up to DC for both work and for research on my Masters thesis. On one of my trips the sniper hit my usual gas stop about 20 minutes after I was there. I got across the bridge into DC just before they put the roadblocks up. My boss had the same thing happen a week before that, only he didn't make it through the bridge in time and was stuck in traffic for hours.

As for this Columbus thing, that's right in the middle of the route I used to take for classes. I guess I have good timing.