Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2003, 10:32 PM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Unhappy Bummer...

In case you missed this thread, here's the word on our boy...

Quote:
Tucker running back Brown out with broken leg

By MICHAEL CARVELL
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Tucker's Thomas Brown, an AJC Super 11 selection who has committed to the University of Georgia, will miss the remainder of the football season after breaking his leg during game Friday night.

Brown fractured his left fibula while being tackled in the fourth quarter of his team's 20-17 victory against South Forsyth last Friday. The Tigers (6-1) are ranked No. 4 in Class AAAA.

"[We're] definitely saddened by all of this, especially to a super young man like Thomas," Tucker coach Bill Ballard said.

Brown, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound running back, announced before his senior season that he was accepting a scholarship offer from Georgia and would sign with the Bulldogs in November.

"The good news for Thomas is that it was a clean break," Ballard said. "The doctors said the leg should not require surgery and that it will heal completely in four to eight weeks."

Brown, who also started for Tucker at defensive back, was considered by most recruiting magazines to be the No. 1 tailback in the state and one of the top in the nation. This year, he rushed for 941 yards and 17 touchdowns in seven games after finishing with 1,632 yards and 13 touchdowns during his junior season.

"I am devastated that my high school playing days are over," Brown said. "However, God makes everything happen for a reason, so I place my faith and hope in that. And I'll be ready to play and contribute in some way at Georgia next year."

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sad. I'm glad he won't need surgery.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
mckerney
Coordinator

As I said in the other thread, he's very lucky that he doesn't need surgury. I'm still not recovered completely with the metal plate they put in my arm when I broke it playing football.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

Tough luck, at least he should fully recover. Sad to see your senior season wiped out like that though.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:40 PM   #5
JeffNights
College Prospect

oh i think Georgia will understand NOT.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #6
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffNights

Ban him!
Old 10-21-2003, 04:05 AM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffNights

This reminds me of a story.

My nephew went out for football as a freshman. Only 12 guys showed up. The coach told them all to go out and bring back two more people, or there would be no more season. The next day they had 24 players show up. The coaches decided to go ahead and give it a shot. My nephew was a receiver and the place kicker. The friend he brought ended up being their starting running back.

They ended up going undefeted. My nephew kicked 28 extra points. 24 of them after his friend had scored a touchdown. Well the next year that guy moved over to a private school, and did nearly as well. Just before his senior year, he commited to USC. At the end of his senior year of High School, he tore one of the ligaments in his knee. USC honored the scholarship for two years, longer than I figured they would. Then when he couldn't afford to attend without a scholarship, some foundation stepped in and got him a couple of grants and a loan that let him finish school. I doubt the injury this kid has would end his career, but it is not a done deal, that a school won't honor a scholarship.

Didn't some kid Paterno recruited get paralyzed on his spring break, and JoePa made sure he had his education covered? Not sure if the kid followed through on it, but Paterno was pretty clear on honoring his commitment to him.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:14 AM   #8
rexallllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Glengoyne

Didn't some kid Paterno recruited get paralyzed on his spring break, and JoePa made sure he had his education covered? Not sure if the kid followed through on it, but Paterno was pretty clear on honoring his commitment to him.

Any school worth a damn will honor the scholie...it's the only thing to do...they usually just move them over to medical scholarship to free up the football ride so it doesnt count against the 85...

Last edited by rexallllsc : 10-21-2003 at 04:15 AM.
rexallllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:37 AM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

I think it also depends on the severity of the injury, to an extent.

Like, the paralyzed kid, the school would take a serious black eye by refusing to honor that commitment. A kid like Brown, who's talented, but also should be able to play again once he heals, the school would probably stand behind.

A kid who falls in between, like injures himself severely enough that football is questionable, but not so severely that it'd alter the entire course of the rest of his life...he might get screwed.

Hard to say.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:38 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

I talked to him yesterday after school. The Dawgs are going to honor the scholly. It would be very stupid of them not to do so, for three reasons.

1. All indications are that he'll be through rehab and back up to his current talent level or more by springtime. He's still one of the top prospects in the country.

2. He goes to a high-profile high school on the recruiting trail, one that has at least four (and probably five) kids going to BCS Conferences this year. (FB/LB Jimmy Coleman told me last night that he's visiting USC this weekend, and the Gamecocks appear close to an offer.) Tucker has at least 3 other non-seniors on the team who are potential BCS Conference type players as well, and probably more will develop. You don't to burn your bridges at Tucker.

3. (Related to #2) Not only that, but Thomas is a "Golden Boy" type--the most well-liked and respected kid in a long line of D-1 players from Tucker. He's quiet, humble, well-spoken, a good student, and his daddy is a pastor. While the other AJC Super 11 kids listed their interests as "friends", "video games", "music", etc., Thomas was pictured holding a Bible and said "going to church." Parents, coaches and kids from RIVAL schools respect him a ton and make a special point to wish him good luck with his future after games. Let's be honest. The LAST thing the Dawgs want is to be known all over the metro area that houses half of their home state's population as "the school that did Thomas Brown wrong."
Old 10-21-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

Something tells me our young Mr. Brown will turn out just fine, no matter what the status of his football career may be.

That said, it'd be really cool to see him playing on Sundays some day...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I talked to him yesterday after school. The Dawgs are going to honor the scholly. It would be very stupid of them not to do so, for three reasons.

Good to hear. I'll definitely be following this kid.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
That said, it'd be really cool to see him playing on Sundays some day...

Dola -

I'm more interested in seeing him play on Saturday.

Go Dawgs!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:06 PM   #14
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thomas was pictured holding a Bible and said "going to church."

This makes him a better kid than someone that likes hanging out with their friends on Sunday morning, instead of going to church?

Granted, most of those guys are probably hanging in the form of a hangover on Sunday morning and it doesn't seem like Thomas is doing that sort of stuff, but what about "going to church" makes him a good kid?

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 10-21-2003 at 07:06 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:26 PM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
but what about "going to church" makes him a good kid?

I can't believe we now live in a country where someone REALLY needs to ask this...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 07:47 PM   #16
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I like hanging out with friends and listening to music better than I do going to church.

I repeat - why is he a good kid, and I'm not?

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 10-21-2003 at 08:55 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RPI-Fan
I like hanging out with friends and listening to music better than I do going to church.

I also imagine that I got better grades in high school than Thomas did.

I repeat - why is he a good kid, and I'm not?

Quote:
He's quiet, humble, well-spoken, a good student, and his daddy is a pastor.

I don't think SD was saying he's a good kid because he had his picture taken holding a bible and lists his likes as, "going to church". I'm sure a number of factors, like the ones above, go into him being a good kid, things like this are just show that he's got his head on straight and is a mature kid.

I don't think it was ever intended for anyone to take it as, "if you don't list going to church as one of your likes, you can't be a good kid", type of thing.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:28 PM   #18
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

So you got better grades, does that make you a good kid?

I don't think going to church makes anyone better. I use to make out with a chick during Sunday school. Could explain my impotence now I suppose. That Jesus is a vengeful one.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I don't think it was ever intended for anyone to take it as, "if you don't list going to church as one of your likes, you can't be a good kid", type of thing.
Of course. RPI, you're readin' too much into this one, or over-sensitive, or something. Thomas is a good kid. Those are some examples of why I say that. There are other things that could make someone a good kid.

Plus, that wasn't my point at all. My point was that the Dawgs don't want to be seen dissin' a kid who is KNOWN to be a good kid, both by teammates and opponents.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-21-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:35 PM   #20
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

You don't want to diss Jesus neither. They want to beat Florida and Tennessee right?!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:14 PM   #21
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I say this without a hint of sarcasm, but what the heck kind of luck does that school have? I've lost track of all of the awful things that have happened at that school, from life-threatening football injuries and auto accidents to "minor" things llike Thomas' broken leg. Sounds like you have some bad karma down there, Ben. Here's hoping that changes. Soon.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:23 PM   #22
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19
I say this without a hint of sarcasm, but what the heck kind of luck does that school have? I've lost track of all of the awful things that have happened at that school, from life-threatening football injuries and auto accidents to "minor" things llike Thomas' broken leg. Sounds like you have some bad karma down there, Ben. Here's hoping that changes. Soon.
I hear ya. It is always somethin'. The interesting thing is that I don't know THAT many kids. All the stuff I've mentioned has happened to kids I know, and that number (at Tucker) is probably less than 250. I had a long conversation just last week with a youth pastor who is new to this community. He was saying that just in the last week he had dealt with a suicide attempt, another kid who beat up his father, and still another kid who was committed to a psychiatric hospital. He was commenting on the over-the-top frequency of heavy stuff going on with kids in our community as well.

I haven't mentioned the Tucker kid who is at home this week, recovering from his THIRD elbow surgery. He was looking like the next in line at QB after DT and Raejon graduate this year. Not anymore.

...and then there's the Tucker alum who broke his leg last week RUNNING INTO THE STADIUM at Clemson. He was a walk-on who had just been given a scholly a few weeks earlier.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:39 PM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Somebody oughta have Stephen King take a look see. There's gotta be some macabre story material in there somewhere.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:45 PM   #24
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by SackAttack
Somebody oughta have Stephen King take a look see. There's gotta be some macabre story material in there somewhere.

Seriuosly. Or at least Aaron Spelling.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 05:53 AM   #25
Ben E Lou

Another article in today's paper:
Quote:
Brown's career over at Tucker after injury

By MICHAEL CARVELL
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Thomas Brown's storied football career at Tucker has ended, but he intends to keep making contributions to the program.

Brown, who suffered a broken leg in Friday's win over South Forsyth, said he will be at all practices and games for the remainder of the season.

Tucker (6-1) plays at Chamblee (5-2) at 7:30 p.m. Friday at North DeKalb Stadium.

"I think the team will do just fine without me out there," Brown said. "We have a lot of talent on this team, and other players will step up and take bigger roles. I'll be right next to them on the sidelines, encouraging all of them."

Tucker has one of the most cherished tailback traditions in the state. Brown's predecessors were Jabari Davis (University of Tennessee) and Patrick Pass (NFL's New England Patriots). SKYDOG NOTE: They left off Terrell Jordan, who only started for one year, between Jabari and Thomas, but who is getting playing time at Northwestern as a true Sophomore.

Friday's starter for the Tigers at tailback will be junior Brandyn Young.

"Young had been playing flanker and starting at defensive back, so he was already a very important part of this team," Tucker coach Bill Ballard said. "He was our backup tailback already and was slated to take over the position next year.

"He's not Thomas Brown, but he is a very talented football player. I believe he will be highly recruited next year by all the major colleges."

Young, who is 6-foot and 190 pounds, is bigger than Brown (5-10, 190) and just about as fast. The two differ in their running styles: Brown has great field vision and changes directions without losing speed; Young is more straight-ahead but has a few juke moves.

"We're not asking [Young] to be Thomas Brown, we're just asking him to be himself," Ballard said. "Brandyn is a great back, and I have all the confidence in the world in him. He'll be just fine back there on Friday."

Brown was Tucker's top weapon, and the team will undoubtedly be hurt by his season-ending injury.

However, Ballard says he has made it clear to the Tigers that the team's preseason goal of winning the Class AAAA championship remains the objective.

"We're going to miss Thomas, but we've got to move forward and try to do it with the guys we have," Ballard said. "Our plans and goals have not changed at all."

Brown's injury happened with less than two minutes remaining in regulation in the 20-17 overtime win against South Forsyth. Brown was tackled from behind by a defender who rolled into the tailback's left leg. Ballard said it was a "clean play" and that the defender meant no harm. This past weekend, Brown said he was visited by his teammates and coaches and expressed appreciation with their concern. There was too much swelling near the fracture to put on a cast immediately, but he will be fitted with one by Friday's game.

Brown, who also started for Tucker at defensive back, was considered by most recruiting magazines to be the No. 1 tailback in the state and one of the best in the nation. This year, he rushed for 941 yards and 17 touchdowns in seven games after finishing with 1,632 yards and 13 touchdowns during his junior season.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:29 AM   #26
Ben E Lou

Heh.

Tucker's got a few weapons left. They humbled a team that was coming in smelling blood in the water. Chamblee was 5-2 coming into the game, and both of their losses had been close games. The Brown-less Tigers handed 'em their hats to the tune of a 38-3 whuppin'. Three different running backs scored TD's, including two runs of 60+ yards. B.Y. showed himself to be the capable starter that we all knew he would be. Thomas' loss will be felt more come playoff time, but for now, the team continues to jell.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #27
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I can't believe we now live in a country where someone REALLY needs to ask this...

I can't believe we still live in a country where people are so blinded by religion that they make sweeping generalizations about those who go to church and those who don't.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 12:36 PM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Tucker's got a few weapons left.

C'mon SD, admit it -- right now, Tucker doesn't re-build, they just re-load.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:09 PM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
C'mon SD, admit it -- right now, Tucker doesn't re-build, they just re-load.
Well, at the skill positions, yes. Tucker's Achilles' Heel for the past 7 seasons (the length of time I've done YL there and therefore followed 'em closely) has always been at the line of scrimmage. We churn out skll position player after skill position player to major colleges, but don't have a state title to show for it. There's no team in any classification in the state that is going to send 4 or more skill position guys to big-time programs this year but Tucker. (There is a good chance that there will be 5, with the 6th going 1-AA as well.) There are at least two other underclassmen on the roster who will likely be D-1 tailbacks. There are probably ANOTHER 5-6 eventual D-1 kids that are freshmen and sophomores, and all but one of them are skill position players.

So, I agree with you about the reload thing, at least with regard to the skill positions. Heck, Asher Allen, a sophomore and the THIRD-string tailback (now #2 due to Thomas' injury), had a 66-yard TD run against Chamblee's #1 defense, which is considered to be one of the best around.

Next fall, there will be the following former Tigers at D-1 schools:

2001 DE Greg Billingslea (Memphis)
2001 WR Gene Pate (Clemson)
2001 RB Jabari Davis (Tennessee)
2001 DT Darius Swain (Georgia)
2002 RB Terrell Jordan (Northwestern)
2002 OLB Tim Goodwell (Memphis)
2004 RB Thomas Brown (Georgia)
2004 DE Brandon Lang (FSU or UGA)
2004 QB D.T. McDowell (Nebraska)*
2004 FB Jimmy Coleman (probably South Carolina)
2004 WR James Swinton (Auburn)

*If he doesn't go in the first couple of rounds of the MLB draft.

The only current Tiger in the NFL is, of course, a skill position player, New England FB Patrick Pass (Class of '97).

All that, and no state titles.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:22 PM   #30
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The two kids at Memphis have helped them to a 5-3 record. They probably should be 7-1 or 8-0 though. They have demolished Houston and Tulane in the past two weeks. I do not think either one has seend the field much though.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:35 PM   #31
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
I do not think either one has seend the field much though.
Of course not, they're not skill position players.

Actually, I do know that Tim lettered as a true freshman last year. He's a nice kid. I didn't know him well until the spring of his Senior year, when he and I both volunteered at a Habitat for Humanity build.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:44 PM   #32
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
Of course not, they're not skill position players.

Heh....a new formation that Tommy West uses is three down lineman with six spread recievers. Of course, the inner two most recievers are not elgible but it confuses the heck out of the defense.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #33
Ben E Lou

The Georgia High School Association playoffs begin tonight, and Tucker has been playing like a team on a mission since Thomas went down. In fact, if Tucker can stay alive long enough, Thomas will likely make the headline of the second article in this thread into a falsehood.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:44 AM   #34
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

That is what splints are for...

Thanks ardent.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:56 AM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I did see in last week's TSN that he is the #3 RB in the country. That's impressive.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 10:03 AM   #36
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
I did see in last week's TSN that he is the #3 RB in the country. That's impressive.
Rivals has him #3, Insiders has him #5, and ESPN has him #7. I had no clue when I started mentioning him on here last season that he'd be THAT highly-regarded. I just knew from watching him that he seemed to be something special.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:39 AM   #37
Ben E Lou

From today's paper:
Quote:
Tucker still big threat despite loss of Brown

By MICHAEL CARVELL
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Tucker hasn't been the same without the services of Thomas Brown, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Brown, who is considered one of the top tailback prospects in the nation and has committed to the University of Georgia, broke his left leg in a game on Oct. 17. Strangely enough, Tucker has been playing its best football of the season since losing its star player.

The Tigers (10-1) play McNair (10-1) at 7:30 p.m. today in the second round of the Class AAAA playoffs.

"Since the beginning of the season, I've been saying that we aren't a one-man team," Tucker coach Bill Ballard said. "Obviously, Thomas was one of the best running backs in the nation, and we miss him on the field, but football is the ultimate team sport. We've got other guys who have stepped up their level of play."

The Tigers are star-studded at the skill positions: Quarterback D.T. McDowell has committed to Nebraska, split end James Swinton intends to sign with Auburn, and tight end Brandon Lang will decide between Georgia and Florida State. Fullback Jimmy Coleman is among a half-dozen Tucker players who will sign with smaller colleges.

"We're definitely playing real well right now, and I think we are peaking," Ballard said. "I don't know what that will mean against McNair, which will be a tough challenge for us."

Brown had rushed for 928 yards and 17 touchdowns this year before breaking his left leg in the fourth quarter against South Forsyth. Since Brown's absence, the Tigers have won their four games by an average of 38.3 points, which included a 45-20 victory against Ringgold in the postseason opener last Saturday.

Brown, who now wears a boot-cast on his foot, still attends all practices and games. He can often be found yelling encouragement to his teammates.

"Thomas is a my best friend, and I miss handing off the ball to him and carrying out my fake," McDowell said. "We still have our pep talk before each game and say 'No one can stop the both of us.'

"Of course, he's not out there anymore, but he leads in other ways. Seeing Thomas get hurt has motivated all of us on the team. We want to win a state championship for him."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-28-2003 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:35 AM   #38
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Glengoyne
This reminds me of a story.

My nephew went out for football as a freshman. Only 12 guys showed up. The coach told them all to go out and bring back two more people, or there would be no more season. The next day they had 24 players show up. The coaches decided to go ahead and give it a shot. My nephew was a receiver and the place kicker. The friend he brought ended up being their starting running back.

They ended up going undefeted. My nephew kicked 28 extra points. 24 of them after his friend had scored a touchdown. Well the next year that guy moved over to a private school, and did nearly as well. Just before his senior year, he commited to USC. At the end of his senior year of High School, he tore one of the ligaments in his knee. USC honored the scholarship for two years, longer than I figured they would. Then when he couldn't afford to attend without a scholarship, some foundation stepped in and got him a couple of grants and a loan that let him finish school. I doubt the injury this kid has would end his career, but it is not a done deal, that a school won't honor a scholarship.

This kind of brought back some sad feeling. The player your are referring to is Tim Strachan. Tim was a stand out quaterback at DeMatha Catholic H.S in Maryland. In fact, he was rated one of the top 5 QB's in the nation during his junior year by some of the rating services. He could have gone to any college he wanted. While on a family trip after his junior year in high school, Tim dived into the shallow water at Bethany beach in Delaware and broke his neck. His injuries rendered him a quadriplegic. Despite the accident, Tim was still offered scholarships by Penn State and the University of Maryland. Tim did attend the University of Maryland on full scholarship.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 08:19 AM   #39
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I think there was a kid who broke his next on his first play at PSU as well. He was a DB I believe.