Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

NCAA: It's not our job to ensure educational quality

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/sport/...se-to-lawsuit/
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I know that this is all legal posturing. But, taking the common-sense view of the language--I agree with the NCAA.

It is up to the student and the school to ensure educational quality. These students either have a case against UNC or no case at all.

(I have not followed the details of this since I am a UNC fan, and it just seemed easier to wait for the sanctions hammer to come down than to wallow in their malfeasance.)
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

I don't think anybody should want the NCAA to supervise educational departments of universities.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think anybody should want the NCAA to supervise educational departments of universities.

Agreed. But I also don't think the NCAA should be worrying about whether the players are graduating from those educational departments either.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I know that this is all legal posturing. But, taking the common-sense view of the language--I agree with the NCAA.

It is up to the student and the school to ensure educational quality. These students either have a case against UNC or no case at all.

(I have not followed the details of this since I am a UNC fan, and it just seemed easier to wait for the sanctions hammer to come down than to wallow in their malfeasance.)

+1. Only thing to add is that when I went to UNC, it was known that these courses existed and that you could register for them if you wanted, regardless of whether or not you were an athlete.

I'm upset that my school administration didn't exercise more oversight over these courses, but I feel like the responsible party is my school administrators and not the NCAA. NCAA really didn't have anything to do with it.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #6
RainRaven
High School JV

I don't really think the NCAA should either but then again aren't they the ones that set a minimum G.P.A and minimum SAT scores? They can't continue to have it both ways. They want to continue to stress the "student" part but they want to shy away from issues such as these. I don't have a great solution just tired of the NCAA and their constant poor decisions and doublespeak.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
+1. Only thing to add is that when I went to UNC, it was known that these courses existed and that you could register for them if you wanted, regardless of whether or not you were an athlete.

I'm upset that my school administration didn't exercise more oversight over these courses, but I feel like the responsible party is my school administrators and not the NCAA. NCAA really didn't have anything to do with it.

Yikes. It's one thing for a rogue professor to hand out good grades when they weren't deserved, it's an entirely different thing when the school administration sets it up.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote