Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Auction Fantasy Baseball League With Openings

Hey everyone,

An ESPN-based keeper/auction league I have been in for a couple years is looking to replace three owners. Good league with knowledgeable players.

It's not a money league, just pride. The keeper element is you get to keep eight players from the squad last year, with some restrictions based on their auction value (so you make the call on what players are good values at their prices). Then we have an auction to fill in the rest.

Daily league, weekly head to head. Can't recall for sure, but nothing crazy stats-wise, either 5x5 or close to it. Both leagues.

Hit me up here or PM me, if you're interested.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

draft date?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
draft date?

Not set yet because we don't have all owners in place. But it will be a slow auction draft.

We use a draft site called couchmanagers.com. We basically use a 24 hour clock, where every time a player at less than 12 hours remaining is bid up, his clock reverts to 12 hours. Every owner has four players he can put up, and as soon as a player he put up is "drafted", he can put up a new player.

It sounds more complicated describing it here, but it is actually fairly simple once you see it work at the site. It takes about a week to complete.

The advantage is that you have plenty of time to check in and bid up players you like. No need to have a specific time you're available.

Last year (and I presume this year), each team has $280 to spend on 28 players, minus the value of the eight players you keep, of course.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Bumpity umpity

Old 03-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'd be curious. I'd like to see the teams available, though.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I'd be curious. I'd like to see the teams available, though.

There are two teams for sure available currently, with another prospective owner possibly already picking between them. We also have two other owners who haven't yet confirmed if they are coming back, so if they choose not to, those teams would also be available. But I don't want to speak for those teams yet.

Here are the two teams currently available. Both were over .500 last season.

Bradley Braves

C: Suzuki
1B: Morneau, Hosmer
2B: Kipnis, Dozier
3B: Bogaerts, Machado
SS: Flores, Tulo, Aybar
OF: McCutcheon, Dickerson, Soler, Harper, Ellsbury, Buston

SP: Alvarez, Salazar, Fieres, Ryu, Kluber, Quintana, Elias, Oridizzi
RP: Rosenthal, Doolittle, Storen, Feliz

North Dakota State Bison

C: Ramos
1B: Trumbo, Rizzo, Singleton, Pearce
2B: Wong
3B: Headley
SS: Ramirez, Santana
OF: Hamilton, Crawford, Kalhoun, Lagares, Braun, Pederson, Jackson, Springer

SP: Darvish, Arrieta, Hutchison, Matzek, Strasbourg, Gallardo, Bauer, Stroman, Hamels, Lohse, Pineda, Colon, Haren
RP: None

Remember, you wouldn't keep all of these guys, just eight, and three of them have to be under $5 auction value (think rookies, second year players who haven't re-evaluated to higher levels yet and under-performing or injured players).

In any case, there seems to be plenty to work with with either of these squads, IMO.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Under current auction value or what was paid for last year?
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Under current auction value or what was paid for last year?

They use a system where the auction value is actually what it was at the start of last year. This has been explained to me a couple times (I always thought we could find newer auction values).

But that means that the value on these guys lag for a year. So you can get great deals on guys like Kluber, who is probably a sub-$5 value despite coming off a Cy Young season (since that season hasn't been accounted for in the auction values yet).

The values will be posted once we have owners in place. You protect 8 players total, with three of them $4 or under. Whatever sum total of those eight are, subtract that from $280 for what you would have left for the auction.
Generally great players are $40 (Trout), very good players $30 (Beltre), strong players $20 (Latos), and then most of the rest solid starters in the teens. Then something like 70% of the starting rosters will actually be under $5 (pulling that percentage out of my butt, but it seems right to me).

Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ok. Billy or Josh Hamilton.

Also, am I able to view the league actually? Seeing the values for the players would make gauging each team easier.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok. Billy or Josh Hamilton.

Also, am I able to view the league actually? Seeing the values for the players would make gauging each team easier.

Billy.

And, I know. I wonder on my own auction values for my team.

It's an ESPN league. Can you view an ESPN League if you're not in it? I actually have no idea.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #11
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I THINK so. Another friend linked me a possible open team in a ESPN league and I viewed it just fine.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I'll give it a shot. Fantasy sites are blocked at work, so I'll send myself the link to the league from my phone.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #13
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Oh, good news, looks like the commish posted an auction value link in the league message board.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

League link:

IPL-X Auction League League Office - Free Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

Old 03-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #15
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I can view the league. Not seeing the auction value link. Is it towards the bottom in the recent activity? Not seeing it. Not real familiar with ESPN, though.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I can view the league. Not seeing the auction value link. Is it towards the bottom in the recent activity? Not seeing it. Not real familiar with ESPN, though.

Does the link take you to the page with the commish updates? When I grabbed that link, the auction league link was in the commish post on that page.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #17
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Does the link take you to the page with the commish updates? When I grabbed that link, the auction league link was in the commish post on that page.

Oh, you have to be logged in to view the league manager note.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Auction value link:

http://g.espncdn.com/s/flbdraftkit/1...ht_mixed12_xxx

Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

If a player isn't on that list, he's $1 value.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #20
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Hm. I'm very interested but really confused as to why they use 2 year old data for their valuations. Why not use the 2014 values? Creates some really odd values.

E: Additional question.

MUST keep 8? OR can keep less?
Can you keep more than 3 players that are less than $4, or is that the maximum.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-10-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #21
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hm. I'm very interested but really confused as to why they use 2 year old data for their valuations. Why not use the 2014 values? Creates some really odd values.

E: Additional question.

MUST keep 8? OR can keep less?
Can you keep more than 3 players that are less than $4, or is that the maximum.

It confuses me too, but when I brought it up last year, I got into an argument with the commissioner (who is normally a pretty even-keeled guy). Maybe he can explain it better.

I decided it just wasn't worth it to fight that fight anymore and just roll with the values given (mostly they don't change much).

I believe you must keep 8, and you cannot keep more than three at $4 or less. I think you can keep less if you like. But that's more a question for the commissioner. He can be more clear on that.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #22
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ping: Scoobz. Are you interested? Let me know...

Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yea. I'm interested. I was putting together a whatif for both teams last night getting an idea. Fell asleep. 12 hour day at work today. I will hopefully know for sure tomorrow evening what team/if I am down. If that is not too late.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #24
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Also, can you verify if I can keep less than 8 or if I have to keep 8.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yea. I'm interested. I was putting together a whatif for both teams last night getting an idea. Fell asleep. 12 hour day at work today. I will hopefully know for sure tomorrow evening what team/if I am down. If that is not too late.

No worries! PM me your email and I will have the commish send you the league invite.

The other prospective owner is supposed to be picking one of these teams, but he hasn't responded yet, so the commish is following up with him to see where he stands. So you could just end up with the remaining team or you could be given a choice.

Quote:
Also, can you verify if I can keep less than 8 or if I have to keep 8.

The commish said it is okay to keep less than eight, so long as if you keep more than three, that no more than three of them can be players priced at $4 or under.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #26
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Ping: Scoobz...

Old 03-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #27
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

PM sent

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 03-13-2015 at 05:56 PM.