Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Survivor (spoilers alert)

I'm sad that Rupert got voted off. He's probably my favorite Survivor ever. Now I am reduced to rooting against Jon.

Last edited by Kodos : 11-21-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:45 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

Survivor without Rupert = Yawn.

But i will still be watching.Jon is a twat,and i can't wait to see his weaely face when he gets booted...IF he does.Hopefully someone will read through his playing both sides bullshit.

Dunno who i want to win now though...maybe one of the girls?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #3
mrskippy
Banned

Well, here's an interesting bit. Rupert didn't show up for the routine CBS Morning Show interview. Instead they aired a supposed taped interview of him in Panama. They declined to say where he is right now.

Rumor has it that Rupert will be part of Survivor 8: All-Star Edition. It is currently being filmed, possibly in the Pearl Islands.

To make it more interesting, the final episode of this season is being aired live from Panama City, which means there could be cast members from this Survivor on All-Stars.

Considering Rupert is the highest-rated Survivor ever, it's a safe bet he'll be an All Star.

Than again ... given the pirate theme and all that ... CBS could just be toying for another twist. Apparently Rupert wanted to take the $1 million, buy his own island and live like a pirate. Heh ... now we know why they picked him.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think it was confirmed a while back that he is part of Survivor 8, which debuts (on television) after the Super Bowl.

They've got 18 former cast members. Rupert is apparently the only Pearl Island cast member.

Others include: Richard, Jenna, Rudy and Sue from the original; Tina, Colby, Amber, Jerri and Alicia from Australia; Ethan, Lex and Tom from Africa; Kathy and Rob from Marquesas; Shii-Ann from Thailand and Jenna and Rob from the Amazon.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

Excellent. I felt so bad for Rupert, especially after his parting speech. He's obviously a great guy, and very talented, but has self-esteem issues and feels like he is never really accepted by people. Maybe being one of the most popular contestants ever will help him feel better. I have nothing but respect for him.

The all-star Survivor sounds like a blast. Survivor is far and away my favorite show. Sadly, due to a power outage (and subsequent VCR screw-up), I missed all but half of the immunity challenge and the last 15 minutes or so. It was a dark Survivor night for me.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I thought Rupert was a little over the top. Likable for the most part, but his reaction to Jon's vote was to bully him. People who were bullied as kids often see that as a strategy when they're older.

Apparently, the new Survivor is being filmed in Panama. They were going to have the live reunion show there, but the building they were going to use as a set collapsed, and now it will be held in L.A..
Old 11-21-2003, 01:20 PM   #7
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Rupert's definitely on all-stars, which can't come quick enough because there's nobody left on the current show except maybe Christa and Sandra (who seem like they're going to be the next two victims) to root for. Ugh. It's been a great season but with the entire season (Rupert) now gone, it's effectively over.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:31 PM   #8
Ufer
n00b

I liked Rupert but also enjoy the fact that the others employed some good strategy, which was sometimes missing in past seasons (e.g. when Brian's tribe let him walk to victory). I think what's interesting for next week is if Darrah and Tijuana realize they should consider joining up with Christa and Sandra. Especially if Burton doesn't win immunity, it may be the last chance to stop him.

How do you feel about letting Burton and Lil back in the game?
Ufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:37 PM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't really like it. Once you're gone, you should stay gone. It feels a bit cheap.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #10
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
Others include: Richard, Jenna, Rudy and Sue from the original; Tina, Colby, Amber, Jerri and Alicia from Australia; Ethan, Lex and Tom from Africa; Kathy and Rob from Marquesas; Shii-Ann from Thailand and Jenna and Rob from the Amazon.
Wow, has this been confirmed? I've been looking for that information for a while.

I have to admit that I have no idea who a few of those people are. They must have made quit the impression.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:47 PM   #11
mrskippy
Banned

I think they confirmed the All-Star edition, but I don't think they've confirmed contestants.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #12
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I don't see Christa/Sandra joining with T and D.

Ultimately, it's probably in the best interests of all four to do that. But I don't think T and D know that Lil and Jon seem pretty tight. To them, this arrangement is as good as any.

And Sandra and Christa seem pretty confused. They probably think Jon and Burton flipped to join the other three. While they are certainly desperate, their strategy might be to to try and reclaim Jon and Burton. Remember that Christa was hinting last week that Rupert needed to go.

The All-Star edition is defintely confirmed. Location is still speculation, and while the contestants are not completely confirmed, it's not a well kept secret. Most of the 18 have been known for quite a while now. I suspect now that Rupert has been eliminated, there will be an announcement very shortly.

I liked the new twist. I don't know why - maybe the old format was getting a bit stale. I think it might have been a bit rigged, though. Burton is an amazing athlete, and that competition was definitely geared toward athletics and solo play.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:02 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Assuming that is the roster, here are some I'm surprised didn't make it:

- Hunter, the guy from the fourth one who was the only one in his tribe who could actually do anything
- Colleen, the cute one from the first season who was in that Rob Schneider movie
- Kelly, the loser from season one
- Sean, the black guy from the fourth season
- The guy who fell into the fire
Old 11-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #14
LloydLungs
College Prospect

I believe Colleen has stated she did not want to do all-stars. Michael (fire guy) may have been asked and turned it down. I do believe that was the case with the two winners (Brian and Vecepia) that are not on.

I think the twist blatantly screwed with the integrity of the game, but hey, it's just a stupid TV show. If it's entertaining then it's okay by me.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
Suicane75
Coordinator

While I love Rupert to death, he clearly overplayed himself, he made himself the most important member and that is not a good thing at this point (it's still relativly early) He should of slowed off on the fishing and providing just a bit and tried to blend into the background alot more. As much as i like the guy (what we can see from a TV show) I don't think his strategy was all that great.
As an aside, I think his reactions to things that don't go his way are way over the top, his statements at the end of the show last night about never fitting in anyplace really seemed off base, it's a game, not a popularity contest, im sure 95% of the people there love the guy, but it's not about that.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:22 PM   #16
mrskippy
Banned

At times I look at Survivor as more WWE than game show.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Agreed on the twist being a bad idea. It was a neat surprise to spring once, I guess, but it plays with the integrity of the game. Yeah, I know, it's a reality show, it has no integrity. But why should I as a viewer tune in unless I have some idea what the rules are? Why should I care who gets voted off if the producers can just put them right back on? For all we know, Rupert could just come back next week. Perhaps to kill and eat everyone.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #18
Ufer
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by Solecismic
I don't see Christa/Sandra joining with T and D.

Ultimately, it's probably in the best interests of all four to do that. But I don't think T and D know that Lil and Jon seem pretty tight. To them, this arrangement is as good as any.

And Sandra and Christa seem pretty confused. They probably think Jon and Burton flipped to join the other three. While they are certainly desperate, their strategy might be to to try and reclaim Jon and Burton. Remember that Christa was hinting last week that Rupert needed to go.

I agree. I don't think they'll do it, but T and D are much better off setting themselves up as 2 of the final 4 without Burton, than 2 of the final 5. But I don't think they trust Lil. Burton is a great player -- better in many ways than Rupert; if Burton loses immunity, it will be interesting to see his strategy, because I think he knows he's a big target. It will be hard to get someone that good off twice, and maybe that makes the twist 'unfair' for the contestants but entertaining for the viewers.

All-star should be fun and very different since all the players know (not to trust) each other. Without weak links, will they vote off the biggest threats first? Will the non-winners gang up on Richard, Tina, Jenna...?

What's your impression of Osten? I think quitting was pathetic, but I also get some sense he feuded with Jeff and Burnett and maybe they overplayed the negatives. Andrew and Ryan both said good things about him, whatever that's worth.
Ufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:33 PM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Personally i enjoyed WATCHING the twist...BUT if i was on the island competing,i would have thought that i got screwed.As far as keeping the game fresh i thought it was brilliant

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:51 PM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yay Survivor talk.

Rupert being voted off didn't surprise me in the least. He was too popular and too physically strong to survive once he lost immunity. He was great fun though, and I'm happy he'll be on the All-Star show.

I liked the twist myself though it does seem unfair to the remaining players. It ultimately led to the demise of both Andrew and Ryan thanks to Lil's return and revenge. (Why Ryan is mad at Lil is beyond me-did he expect her to just blindly rejoin her own tribemates and settle for fifth?)

I think the winner will come from one of four ladies-Darrah, Tijuana, Sandra, or Christa. I can't see Burton or Lil winning despite how good they are doing in the challenges due to their already being voted off. Jon of course has no chance of winning-unless of course he ends up with Burton or Lil for the reason above. That would be the ultimate horrific ending. It looks like he may leave from the promos shown last night due to some family tragedy?

Sandra sure seemed shocked about Rupert being voted off-almost as shocked as I was to see she was the one who voted for Jon-I thought the alliance was all voting for Darrah?

It should be interesting to see if the four ladies try to latch on to Burton/Lil/Jon as a sure fire path to victory or team up with each other and fight it out between themselves.

Yes I watch way too much TV

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-21-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:02 PM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomkal
It looks like he may leave from the promos shown last night due to some family tragedy?
(Spoiler alert)

One rumor is that Jon actually fakes the "tragic news" to gain symapthy, which would apparently be the "big lie" they've promised all along.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:06 PM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

I was telling the wife that if Rupert didn't win, then Jon should win, and failing that Burton should win.

Everybody else seems to just be pawns in their game. I think it's safe to say that not many people like Jon (including me, I hate the little wierdo) but he deserves to win if he gets to the final 2. Same for Burton save going up against Jon.

Just my .02 Survivor cents.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:17 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, Rupert's biggest problem was being too good and making himself a target. I think the under the radar strategy is always the best way to go on Survivor. Time after time, people who try to lead are cast out.

Why, just look what happened to Marmel in FOFC Survivor I.
Old 11-21-2003, 06:39 PM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Burton deserves to win, just because he was already voted out. Jon is the only one of the others that is really playing the game (unless there's a whole bunch of behind the scenes stuff that we aren't seeing).

Rupert seemed to let his success start to go to his head a bit, which led to his downfall of getting over-confident (or so it seemed to me).

As far as the all-star survivors go, I would like to see (in order by show):
1) Gervais
2) Rich
3) Rudy
4) Colby
5) Jerri
6) Alisia
7) Tom
8) Ethan
9) Kathy
10) Gina
11) Hunter
12) John
13) Rob
14) Dave
15) Rupert
16) Andrew
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:21 PM   #25
SnowMan
High School Varsity

I liked Rupert, up to his little farewell speech at the end. The whole "so much for my dreams" bit was a little cheesy for me.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #26
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by LloydLungs
I believe Colleen has stated she did not want to do all-stars. Michael (fire guy) may have been asked and turned it down. I do believe that was the case with the two winners (Brian and Vecepia) that are not on.

I think the twist blatantly screwed with the integrity of the game, but hey, it's just a stupid TV show. If it's entertaining then it's okay by me.

I really liked Michael, the fire guy, I hadn't heard either way regarding him being one of the all stars. I heard Vecepia was either pregnant or had just had a baby.

I agree that Rupert was my favorite survivor on this season, close to an all time favorite for me. I really liked Rob, the guy who played every side of the fence last season. I was also a Colby and Richard Hatch fan. Oh and who can forget the pig farmer from Arkansas, Tommy(I think).

Regarding rooting against Jon. Probst said at the beginning of this season, during one of the Hype interviews, that this season would produce the most hated survivor participant ever. I had Jon pegged as that guy by the end of the first episode. He also said that this individual would perpetrate the "biggest lie in the history of Survivor". I really just hope he doesn't win it all.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:15 PM   #27
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Yeah Kodos you are 100% correct. Unfortunately that also brings the point that the 2nd half of Survivor is absolutely pathetic. After the merge once the top few guys are gone, you're stuck with all the people that flew under the radar, most of which because they have absolutely no personality. Makes for boring TV.

What would have been more interesting is if it stayed tribe-based, and the 3 teams just fought each other to the end. That way it gives the teams incentive to keep their top players instead of hacking their heads off. And if one tribe gets dominated and loses a lot of members, there's still 2 other tribes to keep things interesting.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:35 PM   #28
atatange1
High School JV

I don't like the idea of those voted off are able to come back either. Once you're gone you're gone. I really just wanted to comment on Jon. He undoubtedly is a weasel, but I think he play's a great game. He is playing both sides, and makes himself appear as one of the followers, never the leader which is always puts the target on your back. Let Burton, and Rupert try to be the top dog. He's fine to just wait until he has the oppurtunity to stab you in the back and then make his move. He just has to watch his mouth and make sure he doesn't annoy everyone so much they want to get rid of him over one of the 'leaders'.
atatange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:50 PM   #29
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Agreed, I can't stand Jon and neither can anyone else, but he's playing a great strategic game. Besides all his other maneuverings, he's designing his endgame plan perfectly and it is basically the only way he can win -- going to the finals against an outcast, in this case Burton. As much as it would kill me I would have to vote for Jon over an outcast, and he knows this is his only chance to win a jury vote.

However, the editing of the show (they never miss a chance to show us Jon smirking and generally being a prick) tells me he may have a big fall soon.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:37 PM   #30
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Oh regarding the twist where the old tribe comes back. I didn't really care to see Burton or Lil come back, but I really like the dynamic it adds to the game. It stops the Big tribe cannibalizes the small tribe syndrome, which really is not very interesting. This way there are more chances for different alliances to form.

That is why the Amazon season was so interesting, because Rob really changed the we're ganging up on you theme, by playing everyone off of everyone else. He really worked it masterfully, and did so apparently without pissing everyone off. Jon is playing a better game than most, but he is pissing off lots of folks in the process.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:03 PM   #31
PilotMan
Head Coach

OK, I have been working on a strategy that I want to run by you. I have only missed one or two episodes ever, and with my powers of observation have come to a stunnning revelation.

Jon and Sandra have a very strong alliance.

Crazy, but listen.

1) The biggest tip was that Sandra voted for Jon instead of Darah. She had no idea how Lil would vote and her voting for Jon guarenteed that Ruppert would be gone.

2) The alliance would have to be with someone from the original tribe. It is not Rupert, its not Burton, he had already been voted out, and its not Christa. When Jon and Burton were talking about who to vote out if Ruppert won immunity it was Christa's name that came up. She is not the player. That only leaves Sandra and Jon.

Having thought this out it would seem that Christa would be the very next to go, as she is now out of alliances.

After that I see the current alliances as you see them splitting up. Burton's ego is going to get out of control and he will fall.

In the end I really would not be suprised to see Jon and Sandra as the final two, with Sandra as the evental winner. Jon has just rubbed everyone the wrong way.

I think this could be the big deception that Probst was talking about.

Now shoot holes through it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #32
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

For those of you who think it will be boring, wait. I think the game is just starting to heat up. Especially with Ruppert gone there is a huge power vacuum as well as a food provider gone. It will be interesting to see who emerges from the next power struggle.

Of course, maybe I just like it because I have degrees in Psych and Sociology and that makes me just a bit odd.

Like Steam?

Old 11-21-2003, 11:13 PM   #33
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotMan
Jon and Sandra have a very strong alliance.
So in your theory, that whole nasty exchange at the last Tribal Council was all part of the act?

Hm. Interesting...
Old 11-21-2003, 11:26 PM   #34
PilotMan
Head Coach

All an act.

As was her reaction when he left, just a bit too over the top and especially the way the editors left it. Focusing on her specifically, spying and really playing up her part in the alliance. Like they really wanted you to believe it. Makes me really doubt the legitamacy of it.

You wouldn't want anyone to get suspicious of your true motives now would you?

Like Steam?

Old 11-21-2003, 11:32 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, that would answer the nagging question of why Sandra voted for Jon this past tribal counsel. That is a very interesting possibility. That plan is pure genious, if it ends up being the truth.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:20 AM   #36
uglytuco
n00b

I was wondering what was up with Sandra voting for Jon. If she thought she could just throw a vote at him because 'they' had such a strong alliance to vote out Darrah, she wasnt thinking very clearly. Even if the stupid Lil (i absolutely cant take any more of her) wouldve voted with Rupert, the other 4 wouldve knocked Rupert off with 3 votes darrah and 1 Jon.

Its pretty hard to imagine that Jon & Sandra have some super-secret alliance going on. There certainly hasnt been any sign of that, which could be due to editing. I also find it hard to believe that she was THAT good of an actress at tribal council when she looked like her right arm had just been chopped off.

But I have to admit, that little conspiracy theory makes more sense for her voting for Jon than anything I can come up with. Except of course, that she's just stupid.
uglytuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 12:24 AM   #37
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I think the Sandra/Jon animosity is real. Sandra felt that if the rest of her tribe (including Burton/Jon/Lil) voted for Darrah, it would be 5-2, and her vote wouldn't matter.

Way back in the early Survivor days (particularly Australia), there were actually ties in the voting. And the first tie-breaker was number of past votes cast against you.

I think she was throwing a vote at Jon because she felt confident Darrah was gone regardless, and she was setting up a tie-breaker for later, assuming D/T were voted out in order.

She also may have done this, expecting D/T to vote for Jon, possibly setting up a scenario where the rest of the tribe wonders who the third vote for Jon was (remembering how angry Rupert was at Jon for his vote), and she just sits back innocently and watches the accusations fly.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:59 AM   #38
bbor
Pro Starter

I don't think Sandra and Jon are smart enough to pull a coup like that off.

Old 11-22-2003, 08:08 AM   #39
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm just not buying the Sandra/Jon alliance-they have been at each other's throat since Day 1. It would certainly be one of the biggest surprises in Survivor history. I could certainly see Sandra working things so she's with Jon at the end though without an actual alliance. I think Sandra runs on emotions and after that little Tribal Council tiff, she was running on high with her hatred towards Jon.

And to those saying Jon is playing a great game-he's not. Oh sure he may be manipulating people more than most, but no one likes him. It matters little if he gets to the final 2, he still loses (again being there with Burton or Lil changes that). The only reason he is still in the game is because everyone knows they can win against him, not because of any grand strategy on his part. Rob from the last season did so well because (at least for a long while) people liked him, and many admitted later they would have voted for him to win if he made it there. Jon does not have that luxury. I give him credit for sticking with Burton and Lil, but that's it.

And if the big lie is that he fakes his family tragedy then he loses to everyone. It seems like Christa is somehow involved in a lie though from the promo. She's probably the next out-a shame-yes she's a bit "out there", but she was fun to watch.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:22 AM   #40
Raiders Army
Coordinator

The promos clearly are not representative of what actually happens on the show. I think that the editors have done a great job showing you one hand in the promos and then punching you in the face with the other. Jon is supposed to be one of the most hated Survivors ever, if not the most hated. Spoiler: (Highlight to read)

According to the Survivorsucks message board, a lot of people think Sandra and Lil will be the F2, with Sandra winning it all.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 11-22-2003 at 08:23 AM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 04:01 PM   #41
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

The odds, in Vegas or at least at the offshore gambling sites, for Sandra were 2 to 1 before the show even started. None of the other 15 were better than 8 to 1.
Old 11-22-2003, 04:24 PM   #42
44Niners
In The Penalty Box

I think Sandra voted for Jon becasue she can't stand him and let her emotions get the better of her.
44Niners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:59 PM   #43
Dutch
"Dutch"

Okay, I just saw this weeks preview. The biggest betrayal ever? Immunity being stripped away? Players crying? What the heck is going on?

Ruperts gone, but I'm sure I won't miss this one....oh yeah, it's on Thanksgiving....that already makes me questionable for gametime!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:18 PM   #44
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Actually survivor is on wednesday this week Dutch
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 07:19 PM   #45
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

It's on Wednesday Dutch. They're having it on a special time this week because of the holiday.

Also, after seeing the recent commercial for it I am starting to buy into the Jon and Sandra alliance thing. They seemed to go out of the way to show her saying how she "hates him". Okay, probably reading into it way too much but it just seemed like they were trying to sell it too much to really 'fool' everyone in the end.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #46
Dutch
"Dutch"

Thanks! (Actually, I just asked the wife and she already knew...why am I always the last to know anything???)
Old 11-24-2003, 05:38 AM   #47
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Well from the previews, it looks to me like the deception is someone sabotaging the camp somehow and getting away with it. And I'm willing to bet that the same person wins immunity but it's stripped away because somehow this is against the contract that they signed. I'm sure for a case like this, the cameramen probably have the grounds to rat on the person to the producers. And that person is almost definitely eliminated that week. That's my guess.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote