Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Wireless Safety-need advice

Hey everyone,

There are some really, really bright people on this board so I am asking a question about wireless safety.

I have done exhaustive research on the matter, but can't find anything on my specific question.

We recently installed Verizon Homefusion because of limited internet options. The installer did a great job and when he left I felt great about the install. Then suddenly it hit me....we installed the cantenna on the eave of the house right next to my son's bedroom. In fact he sleeps on the top of a bunk bed very close to the eave.

If it were me, I wouldn't be freaked out, but it is my son so is this a concern?

We are going to move the bed to the other side of the room, but is that far enough, or am I just being silly?

In theory I would think the emf radiation would be low, and since the rf signals are being funneled into the coaxal cable there wouldn't be a concern. However it is my son so I want to be right and not be blasting him as he sleeps!

I've read all of the WHO on rf and emf, but I can't find anything on a cantenna. I just don't want to find out later that having a cantenna next to your bedroom is the equivalent of storing radioactive waste.

Mo.Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
From what I can gather, the antenna is using cell technology (LTE) to provide internet access. Basically they put a cell phone under the eaves of your house. The incoming LTE radio waves would be there regardless, and the outgoing are likely directional, so they are pointing towards the radio tower. He should be fine.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
SteveMax58
College Starter

A cantenna is no different than any other RF reception device in that it is shaped to optimize its ability to receive the frequency & carrier modulation type that it is intended to receive.

Other devices that would be similar in nature are a satellite dish, your home wifi router, your cell phone (or more similarly a cellular repeater), or even a UHF/VHF antenna.

The EIRP of these devices (note: the emission of them back to their tower) is managed & specified by the FCC so it isn't just something that gets slapped up on whim. I'd be less concerned with the reception part of it as the signals are already in the air, the cantenna is just optimized to recieve them while filtering out the other signals in the air.

Or more to the point....this isn't like having a power line directly overhead.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Thanks Cart and Steve!

That is what I had hoped and suspected, but when it comes to your kids you just want to make sure.

I really appreciate the input. It was better and more to the point/clear than nearly a week of exhaustive "google" research.

Pretty amazing that when the wife and I were discussing this issue that I figured a football discussion board of all things would be where I would be able to find the answer. The "collective" of minds that this game and subsequent message board has brought together still amazes me.

Thanks again guys!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah that's the same reason I asked my car stereo question here. Obviously there are forums for car radios but the likely responses would be read the damn board or NOOB where here I got 3-4 quality answers (like you did) within a couple minutes.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
Mo.Raider
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yeah that's the same reason I asked my car stereo question here. Obviously there are forums for car radios but the likely responses would be read the damn board or NOOB where here I got 3-4 quality answers (like you did) within a couple minutes.

Exactly Panerd.

Or an unintelligible text/email hybrid that explained various ways to have fun with yourself, while questioning your reason for going on because you are so stupid. Even though it would have been just as easy to answer your question.

On this board getting that kind of response never crosses my mind.

Gotta love the class on this board.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo.Raider View Post
Exactly Panerd.

Or an unintelligible text/email hybrid that explained various ways to have fun with yourself, while questioning your reason for going on because you are so stupid. Even though it would have been just as easy to answer your question.

On this board getting that kind of response never crosses my mind.

Gotta love the class on this board.

/stops typing up insightful email with 347 ways to have fun with yourself and questioning how you can breathe, being so stupid/

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-12-2014 at 12:22 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote