Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 PM   #51
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention that they've been invited to a "gifts expected" gender reveal party. In fact, my observation is that the people mocking/complaining against it the hardest made no indication that they've ever been invited to one. I'm sticking with "anti-social curmudgeons."

I'm all for throwing parties and inviting close friends/family. It was just the constant "__ days until the reveal! It's gonna be soo hard to keep it a secret until then!" posts on social media that could not be classified as anything other than obnoxious and attention-seeking.

nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

As for gender reveal parties. A friend of mine went to one. The mother-to-be really, really, REALLY wanted a girl. She cut into the cake and it was blue inside. It was a boy. She put the knife down, burst into tears, ran to her bedroom, slammed the door and proceeded to cry for quite a while.

Note to gender reveal people: Make sure you're okay if it turns out to be either gender, especially the mother-to-be, given the hormones and all.

That's actually really kinda funny. I think if I was there I would have either laughed or been like "that ungrateful bitch...at least she's having a healthy baby."

So the idea of these is that the parents don't even know and they surprise themselves in front of all their friends/family?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #53
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

This thread isn't for saldana?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That's actually really kinda funny. I think if I was there I would have either laughed or been like "that ungrateful bitch...at least she's having a healthy baby."

So the idea of these is that the parents don't even know and they surprise themselves in front of all their friends/family?

Again, I'm sure it can go both ways, but I've seen it where the point is to reveal it to the friends and family (or a future brother/sister), but the parents know. Otherwise, I guess you're having your doctor write down the gender on a piece of paper, seal it, and give it to a bakery? Seems like overkill but again, to each their own.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #55
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
This thread isn't for saldana?

I don't know why half of us didn't think of this joke sooner. Good show

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #56
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

+1. Nicely done.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #57
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Again, I'm sure it can go both ways, but I've seen it where the point is to reveal it to the friends and family (or a future brother/sister), but the parents know. Otherwise, I guess you're having your doctor write down the gender on a piece of paper, seal it, and give it to a bakery? Seems like overkill but again, to each their own.

These parties can get pretty complicated.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
That boy is going to love hearing that story when he's older.

I would of thought that parents who know the gender before the party and reveal to the rest of the guests...but I guess they can surprise themselves somehow.

My favorite is when my good friends had their first child, but decided to wait until the birth before knowing the gender (which I love). It's assuming how people I shared that couldn't understand why they would do that.

My brother and sister-in-law had a gender reveal cake, but they both already knew the gender (they told me a few weeks before the party), AND it was part of the Wedding Shower, so no extra party just to reveal the gender.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #59
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
I would of thought that parents who know the gender before the party and reveal to the rest of the guests...but I guess they can surprise themselves somehow.
At the one I attended, they had the doctor's office contact the cake-maker. (I don't know if that's how it's normally done, but in this instance, the hubby was a doctor and the OBGYN was one of his med school buddies.) Inside of the cake was pink. They didn't know until they cut into it.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #60
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That boy is going to love hearing that story when he's older.

My favorite is when my good friends had their first child, but decided to wait until the birth before knowing the gender (which I love). It's assuming how people I shared that couldn't understand why they would do that.

Typically when you have one of these parties you have the ultra sound tech write the gender and put it in an envelope, then you give that to the baker.

I think it was in pretty poor taste to react that way, if you were that set on a girl you shouldn't habe a moment like that in fromt of everyone.

As for not finding out the sex, my wife and I didn't on our first. It was really cool as he was born to find out at that exact moment.

I guess you could say we had our own private gender reveal party, with lots of blood and placenta instead of cake.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #61
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

As for not finding out the sex, my wife and I didn't on our first. It was really cool as he was born to find out at that exact moment.

I guess you could say we had our own private gender reveal party, with lots of blood and placenta instead of cake.

I think it's cool. Are people going to love their child less once they're born? If so, then there is a bigger problem that needs to be address.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:17 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I think it's cool. Are people going to love their child less once they're born? If so, then there is a bigger problem that needs to be address.

I think people want to find the gender out more for preperation reasons. It can be difficult to find a lot of gender neutral stuff.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #63
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I think people want to find the gender out more for preperation reasons. It can be difficult to find a lot of gender neutral stuff.
Yup. My wife was wanting to paint the nursery, buy a significant percentage of the clothes, etc.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #64
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

My wife and I wanted the surprise at birth but I do understand the practical considerations of finding out early.

Just don't make a fucking party out of it
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #65
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

I didn't say finding out was a bad thing...just that people reacted very surprised-almost in a "You're not finding out?!? That's stupid" manner.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-24-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #66
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
At the one I attended, they had the doctor's office contact the cake-maker. (I don't know if that's how it's normally done, but in this instance, the hubby was a doctor and the OBGYN was one of his med school buddies.) Inside of the cake was pink. They didn't know until they cut into it.

My friends (neither of whom are a doctor) also had their OB's office call the cake maker. No one knew until it was cut and blue inside.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #67
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

SI

I was just catching up on this thread and about three posts in started just quickly skimming through, pulse racing, thinking I was going to be the first one to make the joke! Damn.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #68
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I was just catching up on this thread and about three posts in started just quickly skimming through, pulse racing, thinking I was going to be the first one to make the joke! Damn.

There has be to be a word for that phenomenon because we all know of it

SI

Old 06-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There has be to be a word for that phenomenon because we all know of it

SI

Getting saldanad.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 PM   #70
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:

See now this is a well thought out and fun way to do it. I like it.

For the record I am not leaning either way on this, I had never heard of it until this thread started. I'm just trying to think of reasons why people might be put off by such a thing. In the end, the conclusion I have come to is that it totally depends on who is throwing the party.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:02 AM   #71
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post

I did hold off on posting the saldana reference. I figured one of the veterans of the board could make a better joke than I did. However after it moved to the second page then I decided that I couldn't wait any longer. If nobody made the reference by now then no one was probably ever going to post the joke.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #72
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Am I the only person who reading the thread title thought it was about people coming 'out' as being Male / Female ... ?

Instead of 'Honey I'm home' you walk through the door and say 'Honey I'm now a woman' ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #73
timmae
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Am I the only person who reading the thread title thought it was about people coming 'out' as being Male / Female ... ?

Instead of 'Honey I'm home' you walk through the door and say 'Honey I'm now a woman' ....

Nope... I like your version of the party much better
Old 06-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's a gender reveal party....a party in my pants
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #75
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

"Lucy, I'm home! And call me 'Ethel'"
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's a gender reveal party....a party in my pants

"I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party."

SI

Old 06-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #77
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"I would like to extend to you an invitation to the pants party."

SI

"It's a boy!"
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #78
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I was going for an Anchorman quote but these little things can wander off on tangents

SI

Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #79
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'll show you the whole ench-saldana

(Works slightly better if said out loud)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #80
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I was definitely imagining some sort of weird gender-bending masquerade ball when clicking on this thread. So disappointed.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #81
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
How do people afford all of this stuff (professional photos aren't cheap)?!?
A lot of people make a lot more money than you. That's just how it is. No use getting all bitter about it.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #82
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
How do people afford all of this stuff (professional photos aren't cheap)?!?
Its entirely down to what people find 'important' - some splurge on a brand new car, some do professional photos ....

In the last few months I've found myself GMing a role-playing game my eldest son plays in and have found myself investing in miniatures because of that, entirely down to the individual
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #83
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
A lot of people make a lot more money than you. That's just how it is. No use getting all bitter about it.
You heartless 1%er.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 AM   #84
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Its entirely down to what people find 'important' - some splurge on a brand new car, some do professional photos ....

In the last few months I've found myself GMing a role-playing game my eldest son plays in and have found myself investing in miniatures because of that, entirely down to the individual

Marc is that you?

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #85
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

Oh, I get it. A bit of hyperbole on my part, just the professional photo shoots aren't cheap. I'm just a frugal bastard.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-26-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #86
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I dunno but they hit Wyoming and remember thinking last year how ridic the concept was to me.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 PM   #87
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

My niece sort of did this. She had a baby shower where she revealed the gender at the shower.

With her I think it was all about the attention. She kept posting facebook posts counting down the days until the "reveal" and asking for everyone's predictions.

She ended up with exactly what I told her would happen. A bunch of gender neutral items and she had a girl. Having had two daughters and friends with boys I can admit that there are many more choices for things to get baby girls than baby boys and she missed out on getting those things in the shower.

When she initially said that they were going to reveal at the shower I thought it was going to be a mass reveal and that they would be opening something they got from the doctor and would also be finding out themselves at that time. That would have been kind of a cool thing to share with everyone. When she said they already knew my logical brain started looping. Couldn't get the idea behind that. Then I saw the attention angle and it started to make sense.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #88
timmae
College Starter

There are definitely 2 types at a gender reveal party..