Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The Thread in Which We Offer Help Buying Gifts. ;)

I think I've seen a thread like this before but my search terms aren't finding it easily.

My nephew will be turning 7 in early June. I would like to be "the cool aunt" but am out of ideas. In past years, I've gotten him a custom Lego kit for the Cygnus space capsule, a small telescope, and a plethora of books. This year, I'm stumped. I'm looking at the Dixit game and possibly some gel ink pens with black paper. Or maybe some neat origami. But I'm also very open to suggestion....so, thoughts? What do 7 year olds like these days that aren't video games (which I'd love to give him but don't want to piss off his parents). Board games are good, but I have no idea what's good for kids...

And while I'm at it, Father's Day is around the corner. My dream gift is to be able to go on a weekend-long sailing trip with my dad. But I know that's not going to happen (I'm too broken). He likes bourbon--right now, I've gotten him into Woodford Reserve. Anybody have suggestions for similar/better bourbons?

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
tarcone
Coordinator

A football? Soccer ball and goal? GI Joe? Wiffle Ball Set? A Bike? A Hot Wheel track and cars?

Thats all I got. If you are looking for board games, got boardgamegeek.com and you will find tons of ideas.

Good luck.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #3
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
For a 7 year old I got nothing.

Ice cream party?

As for Fathers Day. Yeah. Got you covered.

Blanton's
. Its a modest hike up and delicious.

Warehouse H

Warehouse H was built directly after prohibition as a way to start immediately aging bourbon since there was such a large demand for alcohol once it was legalized. It is the only tin clad aging warehouse on the distillery grounds. After prohibition, the distillery needed a warehouse erected as quickly as possible to meet the demand they would face, so they erected the four-story tin clad warehouse quickly since it would take more time to build a brick and mortar building.

Because of its proximity to the river and its ability to heat and age the bourbon in the long hot summers, Colonel Blanton felt Warehouse H aged bourbon better than any warehouse on the distillery grounds. The warehouse sits further away from the river than any other aging warehouse at the distillery allowing it to maximize the heat of the summers before interacting with the cool dew, which resonates from the river. Warehouse H also uses steam heat to continuously age bourbon during the cold winter months, which allows the bourbon optimal aging.

Last edited by B & B : 05-25-2014 at 10:36 PM.
B & B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

What about those rubber band things. My daughter is all about them "rainbow loom" I think they are called..
Really sparks the creativity bug and isnt a video game.

My daughter will watch youtube vids and create things for hours...its kind of lego without limits
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

My 9 year old daughter loves Dixit, but be aware that it can only be played with three or more people.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Autumn
Head Coach

Yeah those rainbow looms are huge among my sons and all of their friends, that might be a good idea.

For board games you could check out all the Gamewright games. Our 7 year old loves Gubs, but depending on his interests and reading level and game experience you could find something from them.

My kids are suddenly into Pokemon cards. Before that it was Legos. They bounce from obsession to obsession, there's a lot of stuff out there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I think I've seen a thread like this before but my search terms aren't finding it easily.

My nephew will be turning 7 in early June. I would like to be "the cool aunt" but am out of ideas. In past years, I've gotten him a custom Lego kit for the Cygnus space capsule, a small telescope, and a plethora of books. This year, I'm stumped. I'm looking at the Dixit game and possibly some gel ink pens with black paper. Or maybe some neat origami. But I'm also very open to suggestion....so, thoughts? What do 7 year olds like these days that aren't video games (which I'd love to give him but don't want to piss off his parents). Board games are good, but I have no idea what's good for kids...

And while I'm at it, Father's Day is around the corner. My dream gift is to be able to go on a weekend-long sailing trip with my dad. But I know that's not going to happen (I'm too broken). He likes bourbon--right now, I've gotten him into Woodford Reserve. Anybody have suggestions for similar/better bourbons?

/tk

What's your nephew into? Maybe he'll like some of these:

- Snap Circuits Not necessarily this one, but anything from Snap Circuits.
- Stack Magnets Or anything magnet related.
- If he likes to cook, an apron with his name would be cool. Even cooler made out of fabric from his favorite superhero.
- Metal detector
- Hexbugs are fun
- Fat Brain Toys Best Seller List This place may give you some ideas.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I have and enjoy dixit, as well as a little card game called timeline. 7 year old me loved stuff like microscopes too.. It can be a nice companion to the telescope. I can't express how fun it was to look at specimens of all kinds of different stuff that I collected on adventures with my cousin in the woods. We would pretend we were curing diseases and developing viruses and stuff.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #9
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I have and enjoy dixit, as well as a little card game called timeline. 7 year old me loved stuff like microscopes too.. It can be a nice companion to the telescope. I can't express how fun it was to look at specimens of all kinds of different stuff that I collected on adventures with my cousin in the woods. We would pretend we were curing diseases and developing viruses and stuff.

Yes, microscopes are a great idea! My son has a digital microscope similar to this one Hand Held Microscope that he enjoys. It's neat looking at an object and viewing it on the monitor.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks, folks! I'm leaning towards the microscope--I got one when I was 8 or so, but his parents aren't like mine were. They're...well, f'n crazy.

Anyone else who needs help with gifts, feel free to jump in. I'm usually awesome with gifts but the 7 year old boy market is failing me.

/tk
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #11
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Two bad ass nerf guns or super soakers...summer is coming...get two so he can play w/ a friend. Does the kid play any sports? Wiffle ball set?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Too bad Laser Challenge sets are not sold anymore. Those things were awesome.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

He and his father got Nerf guns for Christmas. Great minds..