Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2003, 05:05 PM   #51
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
By the way, Franklin, good luck finding another job. And don't feel a bit guilty about taking every dime of unemployment coming to you while you try to find the right job for you. I'm sure the corporate exec that laid you off isn’t losing a minute of sleep over cashing his/her big bonus check that was once your salary.

Don't worry... I don't know how much unemployment is going to pay me, but I had no guilt whatsoever about applying for it on Friday afternoon. I have a wife and two kids to feed, and I have nothing but contempt for the sick, greedy motherfucker who publishes a press announcement a week ago saying how my company, VeriFone, Inc., is enjoying record earnings and is leading the industry, and then slashes a bunch of jobs a month before Christmas.

I'm referring to you, Doug Bergeron, CEO of VeriFone, Inc. You are a mother fucker. You probably fuck your uncle, your dog, and various other mammals and reptiles, alive and/or dead. I wish you an eternity in hell, and if you take exception to any of this, I invite you to meet me so that we can discuss the matter further.

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I'm sure everything will work out.

Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #52
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
I'm referring to you, Doug Bergeron, CEO of VeriFone, Inc. You are a mother fucker. You probably fuck your uncle, your dog, and various other mammals and reptiles, alive and/or dead. I wish you an eternity in hell, and if you take exception to any of this, I invite you to meet me so that we can discuss the matter further.

Tell us how you really feel......

In all seriousness, I hope everything works out for you......
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #53
Madcap710
n00b

I know how you feel, Franklinnoble. My own company was mentioned as one of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the city. They had a banquet to honor everyone who made it on the list.

It was very funny, in a pathetic sort of way. At our company, all the big wigs attended, as well as the founding plank members, and anyone else deemed "important."

Despite the fact that my efforts directly led to this ranking (Without me, Software Support, Customer Support, and god knows what else would just fall apart). I was not invited.

It's not so much that I wanted to attend - I didn't - but I would have liked the opportunity to say yes or no. Sometimes, it's not what you do or how well you do it. Sometimes, it's just who you know, or how well you play the game of politics.

Good luck, FN. May you find a job that pays well, and is stable!!! As for Doug Bergeron, may he receive his just rewards in the next life.

As for me, I think it's about time I had a talk with my boss. Loyalty's one thing, but as they said in The Rock, "I want my fuckin' money. Sir!"
Madcap710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #54
Buzzbee
College Starter

FN - Just wanted to touch base and see how things are going. I kinda dropped out of this thread after the debates started. Sorry for the threadjack. I hope all is well.

Interesting connection. Doug Bergeron spoke in one of our company meetings and gave a little rah-rah speech about how we had some tough times but we were turning a corner, blah, blah, blah. A week and a half he turned tail and resigned as CEO. At least in my case it was him gone and not me.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:23 PM   #55
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
FN - Just wanted to touch base and see how things are going. I kinda dropped out of this thread after the debates started. Sorry for the threadjack. I hope all is well.

Interesting connection. Doug Bergeron spoke in one of our company meetings and gave a little rah-rah speech about how we had some tough times but we were turning a corner, blah, blah, blah. A week and a half he turned tail and resigned as CEO. At least in my case it was him gone and not me.

From what I know of his history, Bergeron basically makes his money by taking over companies, doing NOTHING to improve them but slashing payroll to artificially boost the bottom line, then selling out and finding another victim to leach.

He's a blood-sucking, cock-sucking bastard.

Anyhow, I'm deep in the throes of job-hunting. I have no idea what unemployment is going to pay me, and if I have my way, I won't have to wait to find out. I just wish the Sacramento area job market was a little stronger right now.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM   #56
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

Anyhow, I'm deep in the throes of job-hunting. I have no idea what unemployment is going to pay me, and if I have my way, I won't have to wait to find out. I just wish the Sacramento area job market was a little stronger right now.

I believe California unemployment will pay you 66% of whatever your monthly wage was during the last calendar year...I'm not exactly sure on those figures, but it doesn't really matter because there's a $330/week cap, so most likely that is what you'll be getting unless you made less than ~$25K a year.

You can collect benefits for 6 months, and at that point I believe there's a 3 month extension if you're still out of work, but after those 9 months you're SOL. Additionally, 10% of whatever you collect in benefits is also taxable, and you can choose to have that taken out of your bi-weekly checks, or pay it with the rest of your taxes after the end of the year.

Cali's unemployment is rather stingy considering the cost of living, but you look at their financial troubles and it's hard to complain. I was laid off 3 times in 1 year working in ye olde silicon valley, and had to move back to Oregon because the job market shriveled up and died in SF, and $1320 a month was going to leave me with a cool $20 after $1300 rent for a tiny studio of marginal quality.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 PM   #57
clintl
College Starter

Actually, $370/week is the max in California now, and it goes up to $430/week in January.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:08 PM   #58
Riggins44
High School JV

Hope you are able to find work before the holidays. It's tough right now. Doesn't help that we have a flood of H1-B visa workers bombarding the IT field.
Riggins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 05:29 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
From what I know of his history, Bergeron basically makes his money by taking over companies, doing NOTHING to improve them but slashing payroll to artificially boost the bottom line, then selling out and finding another victim to leach.

He's a blood-sucking, cock-sucking bastard.

Oh, so he's a corporate raider. "Barbarians at the Gate" with James Garner is a great movie about that. Made for HBO in the early 90s, I believe. It's about RJR trying to buy out Nabisco in a big takeover. Garner is the CEO trying to keep his company from being dismantled while everyone else (including Johnathan Pryce, iirc) is trying to buy them out and strip the company.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-18-2003 at 05:29 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote