Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-30-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Anyone use gympact?

Had been reading up on a site/app called gympact that had been getting pretty decent reviews from various places. I was curious if anyone here uses it?

It kind of is like fitness gambling in a way where it is supposed to motivate you to continue to exercise by staking money on it. If you miss a planned workout for the week, you can lose from $5 to $50 depending on how much you choose to gamble, but if you make all of your exercises that you planned, you can make between 50 cents to 75 cents per workout. It lets you connect via paypal or credit card (your choice)

Looking at my past several months, I have been pretty diligent at working out and have been going 4-5 days every week for months even through business trips, so if I had been using this, I would not have had a single week that I failed to meet it so would have been up something like $18.00 for the year.

I haven't seen anything anywhere that expresses caution for this site, but am skeptical about the too good to be true aspect.. anyone have any experience with it?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yes, I use it and it works well. I've made about $35 over the last few months and that's typically running 3 or 4 times a week with a $10/bet. I've also missed my pact a few times because I've missed a day and I've been charged for it. I've had cause to contact their customer service a couple of times and they've been great.

As you can probably tell I like the "fitness gambling" idea and so I just took it to the next level by signing up for DietBet, where you join a group and must lose 4% of your body weight in a month. If you do so, you get a portion of the pot and if you don't you pay $25. The 4% rule is for everyone so that way it isn't a "biggest loser" type contest but rather fair for everyone.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Yes, I use it and it works well. I've made about $35 over the last few months and that's typically running 3 or 4 times a week with a $10/bet. I've also missed my pact a few times because I've missed a day and I've been charged for it. I've had cause to contact their customer service a couple of times and they've been great.

As you can probably tell I like the "fitness gambling" idea and so I just took it to the next level by signing up for DietBet, where you join a group and must lose 4% of your body weight in a month. If you do so, you get a portion of the pot and if you don't you pay $25. The 4% rule is for everyone so that way it isn't a "biggest loser" type contest but rather fair for everyone.

If you bet more, does the pay-out increase? I have been pretty regular on my workouts and currently am working out 6 times a week, so I figured if I bet 4 days, it would give me a buffer in case I missed a day due to some unforeseen reason. I couldn't find anything that said if you bet more that it would pay out more though.

For $5 bet, it suggests pay-outs of 50 cents per workout right now. For $10 bet does it double the payout?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Desnudo
Coordinator

How does it know you actually worked out?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
How does it know you actually worked out?

From their FAQ:

Quote:
How do I check into my gym?

Simply download our iPhone or Android app. When you’re at the gym, hit the Check In button and we’ll confirm via GPS that you’re there.

Can I check into a gym that is not listed on GymPact?

Yes. We have over 40,000 gyms in our database, but if your gym or studio is not listed, you can simply add it via our app on your first check in at the gym. We’ll approve any valid fitness center, other than a home or office gym. Here’s a video showing how!

Does GymPact have a direct relationship to the gyms listed?

No, GymPact is not affiliated with the gyms we list. If you have a GymPact related question, please contact us directly.

They also have integration with runkeeper which is one of the apps that I use in tracking my runs, so I was planning on using that since I do not go to a gym myself.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Really? This sounds like a slam dunk for me. 99% of the time I work out 5 days a week.

What if I'm traveling though - can I like...not bet for a week?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
If you bet more, does the pay-out increase?

Yes, I believe so. We're not talking about a lot of money here, though. I think the most I've made in a single week at $10/day stakes is right around $2. You certainly stand to lose more than you gain if you miss workouts. I love the Runkeeper integration, though, and they just added a "workout anywhere" option which allows you to workout at home if the weather's bad or you don't feel like going for a run or to the gym.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Really? This sounds like a slam dunk for me. 99% of the time I work out 5 days a week.

What if I'm traveling though - can I like...not bet for a week?

Yes, their FAQ says you can go on vacation a week or remove your pact for a week if you are traveling. You have to submit that change prior to sunday though for the next week or you are stuck. Pretty much each sunday you make your pact for the upcoming week, so any changes you want to make have to be done by then.

The "trial" pact I am doing just to check it out this week, I have until April 7th to complete 4 workouts. If I do, I should be able to gain roughly $2, if I fail though, I'll lose $5 per workout that I miss below the 4.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
BYU 14
Coordinator

This sounds great, but we have an in home gym, so no go for me
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This sounds great, but we have an in home gym, so no go for me

GymPact just added the "at home workout" option as I mentioned above. You can make it work if you want.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
GymPact just added the "at home workout" option as I mentioned above. You can make it work if you want.

Sweet, glossed over that, thanks, I will give this a look.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Subby
lolzcat

I use it and have it set to 5 days per week. You are looking at a bonus of about $1.50 per week if you risk $10/workout. I bike to work most days so it's pretty easy money for me. If you use runkeeper to track anything it automatically updates Gympact...again very easy.

edit: sorry...basically repeating everything samifan said.

I will say that losing $10 is a huge motivation for me to go out and walk for 30 minutes. You have to find your tipping point. It isn't really about making money. It's about how much money you don't want to lose. On a number of occasions that has put me on my feet doing something on a day I would have otherwise taken off.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 03-30-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I'd like to try this. When signing up, it's asking if I have a referral code. Anyone want to give me one? I'll PM you my email.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

You can use this code:

chinuAlanB

Old 03-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
You can use this code:

chinuAlanB

Done. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So after looking at this some, I may have a potential problem.. I stopped using my iphone for gps for runs a while ago and now use a garmin watch which I much more prefer. I sometimes do take my phone with me on a run, especially on a long 6+ mile run to have it for the music, but I don't take it on every run.

The runkeeper integration with gympact seems to show that I actually have to time my run with runkeeper on my phone for gympact to count it and what I currently do of syncing my watch with runkeeper won't work.

I -could- start recording with both my phone and watch at the same time on runs, but I think that the few bucks from this isn't really worth it to me to go back to that annoyance, especially as the weather gets warmer outside.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #17
samifan24
Pro Starter

Yes, you have to use the Runkeeper app to record your run so that Gympact can count it.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #18
AnalBumCover
College Starter

How long does it take for your run keeper activity to show up on Gympact? I did the minimum required exercise (30+ minutes, 2+ mph) and am still waiting for it to update on Gympact. Also, what if it doesn't show up by the Sunday night deadline?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So my runkeeper activity showed up about 4 hours after posting, and well before the midnight deadline. Cool.

Alan T, did you get the referral bonus?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-01-2013 at 09:17 AM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
Subby
lolzcat

The amount of time it takes for your workout to show up wildly varies.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I did get it ABC, thanks.

So far the workouts that I have done that do sync with gympact have taken from 30 seconds to 6 hours. A little UN-nerving

Edit: At least it is good that the runs that I did not get credit for (due to timing it with my garmin watch), sent emails pretty quickly after to let me know.

Last edited by Alan T : 04-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:

I just read in their FAQ that "GymPact Anywhere" is currently only available for iPhone.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #23
Logan
Head Coach

Has anyone successfully "cashed out" their winnings?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Has anyone successfully "cashed out" their winnings?
I cashed $30 out a few weeks ago. Pretty seamless.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, this seems too good to be true. How do they make money? They figure there are enough tubolards who sign up and don't do it?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

They don't pay money out of their pockets. The winnings come from those who fail to meet their pact for the week with gympact taking a percentage out of that.

So they make money as long as the take is more than their operational cost

Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #27
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
They don't pay money out of their pockets. The winnings come from those who fail to meet their pact for the week with gympact taking a percentage out of that.

So they make money as long as the take is more than their operational cost

Yep.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So the app said that I completed my pact for the week (3 workouts, $5.00 stakes), but my total earnings haven't updated. It only shows the $5.00 that I earned from the referral bonus after my first workout.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #29
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
So the app said that I completed my pact for the week (3 workouts, $5.00 stakes), but my total earnings haven't updated. It only shows the $5.00 that I earned from the referral bonus after my first workout.
It will take a few days. You should get a notification on Wednesday or Thursday.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #30
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
It will take a few days. You should get a notification on Wednesday or Thursday.

That's a relief. Thanks.

And I assume when you miss a workout they won't take as long to collect...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
That's a relief. Thanks.

And I assume when you miss a workout they won't take as long to collect...
It's all the same, believe it or not.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Edit: At least it is good that the runs that I did not get credit for (due to timing it with my garmin watch), sent emails pretty quickly after to let me know.

Hmm.. what exactly do you mean by this? If you time your run using Garmin, and sync it with RunKeeper, that GymPact will email you and honor this as a valid workout? or were they letting you know that these will NOT go toward your pact?

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-11-2013 at 03:21 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm.. what exactly do you mean by this? If you time your run using Garmin, and sync it with RunKeeper, that GymPact will email you and honor this as a valid workout? or were they letting you know that these will NOT go toward your pact?

They were letting me know that it would NOT go toward my pact. So there was no uncertainty.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #34
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My Monday run on RK never made it to Gympact. I have opened up a service ticket with GymPact but they have yet to respond.

I'm not worried that I won't make my pact this week since I have scheduled enough workouts, but what if this happened on Sunday?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
My Monday run on RK never made it to Gympact. I have opened up a service ticket with GymPact but they have yet to respond.

I'm not worried that I won't make my pact this week since I have scheduled enough workouts, but what if this happened on Sunday?

As long as it shows up in RK they will be able to research it. They give you 24 hours to report an error before they take your money.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #36
AnalBumCover
College Starter

So pissed. Not sure where I should post this rant - here, the strava/runkeeper thread, or my running thread.

Midway through my run my phone's GPS crapped out and stopped tracking my run. I'm not upset that I missed out on tracking my mileage (about 1.5 untracked miles). I'm upset that it happened under the 30 minute GymPact requirement to go toward my pact.

I did a short 30 minute walk afterwards while keeping an eye on my GPS to make sure I get a workout recorded today. This issue, along with the earlier issue mentioned above, is making me reconsider using GymPact for now. I don't want to worry about whether my runs are going to count because of some technical issue or a human mistake.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #37
samifan24
Pro Starter

Hmm- I've never really had that happen mid-run. What phone are you using?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #38
AnalBumCover
College Starter

T-Mobile's Galaxy S3. I've noticed at times my GPS wouldn't launch unless I reboot the phone, but that's if I haven't used the GPS in a while, never when I have a lock.

I haven't researched if this is a known problem with this particular phone.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Hmm... apparently might just be a simple matter of tightening the screws on my phone.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just a bump.. I found that using the garminsync app actually counts for gympact when it syncs with runkeeper. It says I completed my pact for this week, so going to let this run for a while again since it seems to be free money.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #41
heybrad
Norm!!!

Has anybody tried fairly high stakes on this? I believe I saw that you can go as high as $50 a workout. I only ask because this has been easy money at this point but I've only done the $5 - 3 day pact for about 6 weeks. I'm curious if the rewards are higher at higher stakes or once you go for higher stakes, nobody is getting fined.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #42
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Bump.

I haven't used GymPact in a while and I decided to check it out again. And there have been quite a few changes.

Now called Pact, there are two more types of pacts other than logging gym workouts and runs.

There's a Food Logging Pact where you use MyFitnessPal to log your food for the day.

There's something called Veggie Pact where you post pictures of your fruit or veggie for the day, and the Pact Community will look at those pictures and up/down vote whether your picture is in fact a fruit or veggie and fall within certain other guidelines.

Another change to the Gym/Run Pact is that it also counts steps that are recorded using your FitBit device. 10,000 steps in a day will satisfy your pact for the day.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #43
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So I finally withdrew my gympact money for the first time. A nice and hefty $96.00 or so. Sitting in my paypal account right now. Thinking I might use it for some running equipment, or maybe race fees (if I can find a race that I can pay using paypal that I want to do).

Pretty cool now that I have come full cycle on the process. Not a bad year's amount considering I was going to do that exercise anyways. I did end up missing my pact two weeks (the two weeks following my marathon), because I kept forgetting to go on vacation mode during my recovery phase. woops.

Just took off vacation starting next week.. so will be just one week short of when I started it last year.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #44
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

People still using this? My GF is getting on me for being a lazy bastard, which I wouldn't admit in front of her but I am.

I am working from home and can't get myself to the gym as often as I used to and I've never really "enjoyed" outdoor running. Maybe having some money on the line may motivate me?
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:49 AM   #45
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I am still using it. It probably is more of a no-brainer for me since I am running 6 days a week, it ends up just being like free money for me.