Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

NHL 14

Demo is out.. played for a bit.. skating is much more fluid.. fighting is spot on and a lot of fun now.

This series along with NCAA Football are the two best imho and the NHL team has done a fine job with its course on current gen. I would expect more presentation next gen, but I've played almost two full seasons with NHL 13 now and over 200 games.

Day 1 purchase, can't wait!

NHL 14 Demo Details | NHL® | EA SPORTS

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Demo is out.. played for a bit.. skating is much more fluid.. fighting is spot on and a lot of fun now.

This series along with NCAA Football are the two best imho and the NHL team has done a fine job with its course on current gen. I would expect more presentation next gen, but I've played almost two full seasons with NHL 13 now and over 200 games.

Day 1 purchase, can't wait!

NHL 14 Demo Details | NHL® | EA SPORTS

Thanks for the heads up....really hoping they improved the penalty system in this version, to me that is the biggest thing that has ruined it for me in past versions. I need realistic amount of penalties to be called against each team since special teams are so important.

In your initial play through, does that seem any better?
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Thanks for the heads up....really hoping they improved the penalty system in this version, to me that is the biggest thing that has ruined it for me in past versions. I need realistic amount of penalties to be called against each team since special teams are so important.

In your initial play through, does that seem any better?

It's only one, 5 minute period.. so I saw a few, but can't really gauge it.

I do see a decent amount in NHL 13 though with mainly default AS settings, some games have 1 or 2, but do have games with 6-8.

Goalie collision penalties are back, so I'm sure I'll get more now.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
markprior22
High School Varsity

I might give this a go. I just started following hockey last year so I'm at least considering it.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I might give this a go. I just started following hockey last year so I'm at least considering it.

It's generally a great game.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
do see a decent amount in NHL 13 though with mainly default AS settings, some games have 1 or 2, but do have games with 6-8.

I have the exact same experience with NHL 12. I don't know what settings others are using to get fewer penalties, but I get enough in my Be-a-Pro default setup that I'm mad I haven't been put on the penalty kill yet...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It's generally a great game.

It's a FANTASTIC game.

First season we finished 11th.. ugh.. made some moves, didn't do so well in the draft.. but signed Iginla and a few others I can't remember off hand, but had some decent talent to bring up and we have really come together as a team this season (I play all of my games). Games are so different too, which keeps me involved.

Halak has been solid if not spectacular after a mediocre season last year. Just wish we could finally get healthy, I don't think I've had this team fully healthy since early in the season.

We have about 20 games left and sit 6th after being 4th for many weeks. It's just a really competitive conference except for a few teams.

Vancouver beat Pittsburgh last year for the Cup, but they are struggling this year.. although they just beat us 3-0.

Great game though.. really got my $60 out of this one.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Icy
Pro Starter

NHL and FIFA are without doubt the best ea sports games every year, looking forward for it, hope is available as digital download for ps3 as past year, savese the waiting time for the import to come from Canada.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I just must be unlucky because with NHL 13 and practically every version before (although I can't recall which one, but there was one version that was pretty close), I have struggled to see enough penalties being called no matter what settings I have tried. Although I would see the occasional 6-8 penalties, I more times saw the 1-2. With special teams too important in hockey, just turned me off. Enough so that for the first time in a long time, not sure I am going to pre-order. Might wait to hear some feedback before I try again.

Its a shame since I love hockey and just about all the other aspects of the game I can accept. I hope I am wrong with this year's version since really want to be able to play it.

Time will tell I guess....would love to be wrong on this
Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Consider me one of those codgy old guys, but I have to say I've never been able to take to the deke stick. It's completely counter-intuitive and feels delayed to me, so I play with the older controls. Because of this, I feel like I don't have as much control as the game expects me to have and I just don't score as much.

It's weird - every video game you buy you expect to get better the more you play, but I feel I've hit a ceiling with this game. Because of this, I may not pick up this year's entry (and I can't remember the last time I haven't bought it).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Consider me one of those codgy old guys, but I have to say I've never been able to take to the deke stick. It's completely counter-intuitive and feels delayed to me, so I play with the older controls. Because of this, I feel like I don't have as much control as the game expects me to have and I just don't score as much.

It's weird - every video game you buy you expect to get better the more you play, but I feel I've hit a ceiling with this game. Because of this, I may not pick up this year's entry (and I can't remember the last time I haven't bought it).

One button dekes this year. Super easy!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Do you use the deke stick, Todd?
how do you know?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do you use the deke stick, Todd?

I've tried, but never really could besides holding the right bumper, I didn't always keep the puck though.

This year dekes can now be done by using the left stick and one button. Previous titles required use of a shoulder button and both sticks.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-20-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Smart move. Whenever I used to try to deke, I'd end up either panicking and running into the goalie, shooting a weak backhand into the side boards (yeah, seriously), or nearly breaking my thumb.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Downloaded and tried a handful of games....gameplay seemed good and had a nice flow. However, not a single penalty called. Granted, low amount of playable minutes and you don't appear to have the option to alter the penalty sliders in the demo, so still hope in the final version having reasonable penalties. But again, does appear to play well in the other areas.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

one-touch deke is going to seriously take some getting used to. but somehow i just jumped over a guy's stick to avoid a poke check and it was AWESOME
Old 08-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

good omen for me - my first ever shot was a chara slapper from the top of the circle for a goal
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Feel like when I do one-touch deke I don't deke...hmm.

Wish there was a "new skills practice" mode in the demo so I could figure it out.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
one-touch deke is going to seriously take some getting used to. but somehow i just jumped over a guy's stick to avoid a poke check and it was AWESOME

Old 08-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #20
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Feel like when I do one-touch deke I don't deke...hmm.

Wish there was a "new skills practice" mode in the demo so I could figure it out.

There's a free skate where you can practice.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There's a free skate where you can practice.

Aaaah.

Loving this game. Played like 4-5 demo games earlier tonight.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #22
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Aaaah.

Loving this game. Played like 4-5 demo games earlier tonight.

Yeah, it's been a great run for this series. I've even read the CPU will fight another CPU player.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

Why laughing?

I think it was holding down the left-trigger and pushing the right stick forward that made me hop (i replicated it). I'd never done that before in prior versions, so idk if it was possible or what.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Why laughing?

I think it was holding down the left-trigger and pushing the right stick forward that made me hop (i replicated it). I'd never done that before in prior versions, so idk if it was possible or what.

Because I did something with Kane and scored a wicked goal and I had no idea how I did it.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 08-21-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Because I did something with Kane and scored a wicked goal and I had no idea how I did it.

Haha - love it!!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Season ticket NHL 14 is unlocked.. I'm going to wait until my current NHL 13 season is over before purchasing, but for those with ST, it's available.

New Features in GM Mode:

Recap
  • Be A GM length is adjustable
  • Trade Difficulty (Easy to Hard)
  • Authentic Cap Penalties (Real life buyout penalties and traded salaries carried into the mode)
  • Assistant Coach Rotate Goalie
  • 7 preseason games instead of the normal 4
  • Retaining cap trading is there
  • Future 1st round pick = worthless (like few years down the road).
  • Progress Reports return
  • Edit Lines page gets a change (unexpected good change)
  • New Divisions is there! (But Division A. Division B.. etc)
Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #27
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

If some of the impressions this weekend indicate improved number of penalties and consistency, I will likely jump in an place my order. That is really my own beef with this game series. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If some of the impressions this weekend indicate improved number of penalties and consistency, I will likely jump in an place my order. That is really my own beef with this game series. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've read a bit where some are seeing a good amount.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #29
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Sounds promising...might be a purchase after all
Old 09-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #30
Icy
Pro Starter

I was about to buy season ticket yesterday to get it early, but decided it was not worth it and that can wait 3 more days to play it.

I saw also more role pay elements in the be a pro mode that should make it more interesting off the ice.

I'll buy it next week.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #31
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

I am opened up a thread at operationsports forums for NHL to see if I could solicit penalty feedback, the first couple responses seem to indicate not much of a difference than NHL 13. But it is early and only a couple of folks, so we'll see if others see a difference.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #32
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I played 2 10 minute periods and saw one penalty (on my opponent). How's that for anecdotal evidence/small sample size?!
how do you know?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I played 2 10 minute periods and saw one penalty (on my opponent). How's that for anecdotal evidence/small sample size?!

Oh boy.. I was reading one of the OS moderators.. said he had 7.

Doesn't bother me much though.. I have games in 13 with 1 and then games with 6 or so. Probably average about 4 a game with 10 min periods.

Could be like NCAA where I don't see any.. lol

Last edited by MizzouRah : 09-08-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #34
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

If I could see on average 4-5 with some games with 1-2 and others 6-8, I would be more than happy...just did not see that myself in the last couple of versions. I saw way more 1-2 then anything else.

I'll continue to see....I really love hockey and want to play this game, if the special teams are realistic....why can't they just make the darn penalty slider work and then everything would be solved
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I could see on average 4-5 with some games with 1-2 and others 6-8, I would be more than happy...just did not see that myself in the last couple of versions. I saw way more 1-2 then anything else.

I'll continue to see....I really love hockey and want to play this game, if the special teams are realistic....why can't they just make the darn penalty slider work and then everything would be solved

I'm actually concerned with all the fighting I've been reading about, penalties might be too high..
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
I'm actually concerned with all the fighting I've been reading about, penalties might be too high..

That is true too about fighting...in the demo alone it seems like I am fighting all the time. Hopefully the sliders can fix that too. Although typically the fighting does not result in power plays, so still equally concerned I am more worried about PP opportunities that total PIM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #37
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is true too about fighting...in the demo alone it seems like I am fighting all the time. Hopefully the sliders can fix that too. Although typically the fighting does not result in power plays, so still equally concerned I am more worried about PP opportunities that total PIM.

The big thing I'm reading about fighting, is you can't refuse to fight if the CPU initiates it.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Mota
College Benchwarmer

FYI, I played a game on Pro mode against my son and we had a LOT of penalties. There was a 5 minute hitting from behind call with a game misconduct. On 2 different occasions we were playing 4v4 because we both had penalties intersecting.

If you're worried about the lack of penalties, it does seem to be much improved, as I have NEVER seen that many penalties in an NHL game before.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Most of the penalty concerns are withe the CPU taken the penalties...as a player they do seem to happen more.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #40
Ironhead
College Prospect

Now that this has been out for a while just curious what some people think of it. How well does the GM mode hold up over a number of seasons?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #41
djsatu
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Now that this has been out for a while just curious what some people think of it. How well does the GM mode hold up over a number of seasons?

Was a big fan and player of the NHL series by EA for many many years, but I feel they are too arcadish and not sim enough for the hardcore sports fan. I understand that fighting draws peoples attention into the games, but they happen way too much in this game. Everything seems like its on a ''rope'' from the shooting to passing to hitting. Granted I didn't buy this years game, but played a handful of games to know that the series is on the decline. Much like the Madden series which I loved, im really hoping 2K Sports comes back with a bang and does football and hockey next gen again.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #42
The Jackal
Coordinator

So, I had this on 360 but then got an xbox one. With playoff hockey I decided I couldn't wait for NHL 15 and got 14 for ps3. Anyone found sliders that make superstar more realistic? I know if you leave it normal and play for a bit you can really manipulate certain shots and score plenty of goals per game.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote