Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Apple CarPlay

Apple is finally going into the automobile space. They've partnered with manufacturers to have an iPhone-centric car stereo. I hope they also go the aftermarket route as well, so it isn't limited to new cars. I have a JVC-NSX1, which has app support, but when I upgraded to my 5S, most of the apps stopped working. Pioneer has the AppRadio, but is missing a few features that I like with the JVC unit.

Apple - CarPlay
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

As a consumer I'd hate this - by electing it as an option I'm effectively limiting myself to Apple's ecosystem of phones for as long as I own the car/until I want to pay to have a new stereo installed.

Makes sense for Apple, makes very little sense for a consumer.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-03-2014 at 12:28 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
As a consumer I'd hate this - by electing it as an option I'm effectively limiting myself to Apple's ecosystem of phones for as long as I own the car/until I want to pay to have a new stereo installed.

Makes sense for Apple, makes very little sense for a consumer.

Wouldn't someone who made the choice to select this option be aware of that? Not sure how that makes very little sense for a consumer, if they planned on sticking with iOS.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Wouldn't someone who made the choice to select this option be aware of that? Not sure how that makes very little sense for a consumer, if they planned on sticking with iOS.

Because you typically buy a car for a longer time period (especially a new car). There's no telling - you could HATE the next version of iOS and decide to switch...boom...you're fucked.

For instance - i HATE iOS 7. Wish I'd never updated my iPad. Now I was going to replace my tablet/phone anyways, so the fact I'd have to go with iOS 7 means that I'm switching my tablet purchase from Apple to Android (which my phone already is).

If that happened with my phone and I had this stereo system - I'd just be screwed.

As a consumer I want FEWER things that limit my choices long-term, not more.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-03-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Because you typically buy a car for a longer time period (especially a new car). There's no telling - you could HATE the next version of iOS and decide to switch...boom...you're fucked.

For instance - i HATE iOS 7. Wish I'd never updated my iPad. Now I was going to replace my tablet/phone anyways, so the fact I'd have to go with iOS 7 means that I'm switching my tablet purchase from Apple to Android.

If that happened with my phone - I'd just be screwed.

As a consumer I want FEWER things that limit my choices, not more.

But, once again, you are aware of that when you make the purchase. You aren't forced to select that option. And if you do, you aren't forced to upgrade to the latest and greatest phones either. Just because it doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean that it isn't an attractive option for others.

Last edited by cartman : 03-03-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But, once again, you are aware of that when you make the purchase. You aren't forced to select that option. And if you do, you aren't forced to upgrade to the latest and greatest phones either.

Of course. I'm not arguing that it isn't attractive for SOME consumers. Just saying that I wouldn't look at this and go rushing to buy Apple stock expecting it to blast through the ceiling based on this announcement.

So like I said - no-brainer from Apple's perspective as a marketing tool given how much it probably cost to develop.

I'm sure some people who are wedded to Apple long-term will pick it up and love it, but if I'm "Joe the Plumber" from Abilene who isn't a hardcore Apple-fanboy I wouldn't even consider it (assuming I was smart enough to realize this).

In summary:
-Great move for Apple
-Moderately attractive for consumers, but don't see it being "the next iPod"

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 03-03-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

I wonder if there is any meat to the rumors that Apple was interested in acquiring Tesla. It would take a big chunk of their mountain of cash, and be way outside of their core business.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:32 PM   #8
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hopefully this is an aftermarket option, not a standard feature.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hopefully this is an aftermarket option, not a standard feature.

Presumably.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

No, you will be forced to use an iPhone to get the car to function at all. Just like you have to use a Microsoft phone with Ford's SYNC.

We'll know more after it is officially unveiled tomorrow at the Geneva Auto Show. But from what it sounds like, if you have this option in your car, once you connect your iPhone, then extra features are unlocked, like the apps displaying and voice control. Any other phone will do the normal bluetooth connectivity.

Google is also working on something similar for Android. http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/02/g...des-benz-leak/

Last edited by cartman : 03-03-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
No, you will be forced to use an iPhone to get the car to function at all. Just like you have to use a Microsoft phone with Ford's SYNC.

We'll know more after it is officially unveiled tomorrow at the Geneva Auto Show. But from what it sounds like, if you have this option in your car, once you connect your iPhone, then extra features are unlocked, like the apps displaying and voice control. Any other phone will do the normal bluetooth connectivity.

Google is also working on something similar for Android. Google's 'Projected Mode' in-car system possibly leaked by Mercedes-Benz

Thanks, smartass.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Looks like a 7'' iPad running a slightly customised OS which will restrict some choices, not a bad idea and tbh I've been amazed that someone hasn't already written software to do this and marketted it to car manufacturers ... then again, perhaps they did and Apple quietly bought them.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Companies are starting to announce aftermarket head units that will support CarPlay.

Pioneer to upgrade 5 existing consoles for CarPlay, no new hardware required | Ars Technica
Old 04-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Google is also working on something similar for Android. Google's 'Projected Mode' in-car system possibly leaked by Mercedes-Benz

humorously the MS phone doesn't integrate with MS car. According to someone who works there.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote