Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Any Tax Experts?

I just got F'd hard on taxes this year. I am used to it with the state, California sucks, but even the feds got into the act this year (I usually got a return in the ballpark of a good dinner for two at a fine dining restaurant).

What I think happened is that for the first time I went over an income threshold to a higher bracket, except I work two jobs, so neither job was deducting at the higher level. Is that a reasonable explanation? Do employers deduct at the tax bracket level they expect you to be at based on what they are paying you, or is this some set percentage amount not tied to tax brackets that is just adjusted when we file our returns?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #2
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I just got F'd hard on taxes this year. I am used to it with the state, California sucks, but even the feds got into the act this year (I usually got a return in the ballpark of a good dinner for two at a fine dining restaurant).

What I think happened is that for the first time I went over an income threshold to a higher bracket, except I work two jobs, so neither job was deducting at the higher level. Is that a reasonable explanation? Do employers deduct at the tax bracket level they expect you to be at based on what they are paying you, or is this some set percentage amount not tied to tax brackets that is just adjusted when we file our returns?

Yes, employers only know about the income they are paying you. It is your responsibility to have the proper amount withheld. Payroll systems (my small area of expertise) are setup to comply with Fed and State regs and they only look at what they are paying you.

There are two solutions for you for the future. First, pay estimated taxes every quarter. This involves sending the IRS a check. Second, and likely your best alternative, is to have additional withholding taken out each pay check.

Let's assume you get paid twice per month and that you owe $240 to the Feds. Go to your payroll department, get a W-2 and fill in the form for an extra $10 each pay period. By year end, you'll be even based on the prior year.

Hope that helps for the future and that the tax guys don't get mean and ask for interest on what you didn't pay.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm no expert but this sounds right. Wife and I are required to file jointly. Just for fun I did a separate return for each of us. If we were separate we would get back WAY more, but combined it pushes us into the next bracket and we get back a lot less.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Correct

Happened to us this year. My wife only works PT (nurse). She left one place in July. So, starting at the new location in August, they'd only know from the first $1 she earned there, not her income from the prior 7 months. So we ended up owing a few hundred - nothing too terrible, just a pain in the ass.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Congratulations on not lending the government extra money at no interest.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Old Giants essentially nailed this.

Your payroll program looks at each check individually and extrapolates that number over the year. So if you get paid weekly and earn $2,000 that check assumes you have a $104k annual income and slots you accordingly. So in the second job when you made lets say $300/week. This payroll saw you as only earning $15,600 per year in income and taxed that portion accordingly. When in fact all of that money was on top of the other $104k (using my hypothetical example) and should have been taxed at 30%.

A simple solution is on job 2 to simply complete your form as single and none and let them withhold at a higher rate.

BTW this explains why folks get shocked when they get a bonus. A guy who makes $1k/week is used to a $52k/yr tax bracket. Then gets a $3,000 bonus and payroll sees him as a $150k and brakcets accordingly.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
YThere are two solutions for you for the future. First, pay estimated taxes every quarter. This involves sending the IRS a check. Second, and likely your best alternative, is to have additional withholding taken out each pay check.

Alternatively, be aware that this is happening, set aside money every paycheck in an account that earns you some interest during the year, pay when due, have a little more cash than you would have had if withheld.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Congratulations on not lending the government extra money at no interest.

You could be earning .02% in savings account instead!
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #9
henry296
College Starter

For me switching jobs helped because I had extra social security withheld because the second company didn't know what I had already contributed.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am in a shitty situation with child support. If I lower my exemptions I get less money to pay support and live in, if I stay where I am at, I have to pay the government.

It basically boils down to this. My base pay covers my living expenses and child support. My commission covers the taxes I owe at the end of the year and it might provide for some extra stuff, but mainly it goes towards covering the extra expenses (like my car repairs and such)

So I understand your pains..
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #11
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
You could be earning .02% in savings account instead!

Or have paid off a year and three plus months credit card debt at, what, 15%?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #12
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Alternatively, be aware that this is happening, set aside money every paycheck in an account that earns you some interest during the year, pay when due, have a little more cash than you would have had if withheld.

However, they can hit you with penalties for not having enough withheld. I don't remember the number any more (and it has changed), but is around 80% of your liability must be paid through withholding or estimated tax payments.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 AM   #13
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants View Post
However, they can hit you with penalties for not having enough withheld. I don't remember the number any more (and it has changed), but is around 80% of your liability must be paid through withholding or estimated tax payments.

yeah but so long as it is only once every 3 years you can committ to doing quarterly esitimates the next year and tey wave the penalty. Then you do not even have to do the estimates so longn as you dont owe to much that next year.

At least thats what my CPA suggested a few years back and it worked out ok.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Unless anyone else had to stroke a check to Uncle Sam for an additional $5,900 this year, shut the heck up.

(kidding...but not about the $5,900)
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #15
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

*raises hand*....damn near double that.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #16
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
*raises hand*....damn near double that.

Ouch. That must be one hell of a 2nd job. I don't begrudge sending Uncle Sam what I owed him, though it did take a chunk out of the ole' checkbook.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #17
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm no expert but this sounds right. Wife and I are required to file jointly. Just for fun I did a separate return for each of us. If we were separate we would get back WAY more, but combined it pushes us into the next bracket and we get back a lot less.

wait, so should married couples file separately?
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Ouch. That must be one hell of a 2nd job. I don't begrudge sending Uncle Sam what I owed him, though it did take a chunk out of the ole' checkbook.

Very nice commission check.
So all the incrementals (salary) didnt get hit at the right bracket.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
wait, so should married couples file separately?

Typically only if you both have well paying jobs. Or at least that's what I've been told.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #20
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Typically only if you both have well paying jobs. Or at least that's what I've been told.

MFJ is a better deal until the first income is in the 100-120 range and the second income is in the 80-100 range. Then MFS does you better.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
MFJ is a better deal until the first income is in the 100-120 range and the second income is in the 80-100 range. Then MFS does you better.

Let me be a little more precise. This is a result of the progressive bracketed structure the US uses for income tax rates. The "marriage penalty" is the result of the income ranges for single filers being more than half the income ranges for MFJ filers. When two people both earn incomes that are more than half the top of the MFJ income range but less than the top of the single income range at a particular percentage, there is a theoretical penalty to being married.

Trouble is, the IRS sees this and accounts for it with the MFS filing status, where the income ranges are exactly half of what the MFJ ranges are.

So the sort of people that this really applies to are those who are not yet married, and may choose to postpone marriage for the marginal benefit of having each of their incomes taxed separately at a lower marginal rate.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:18 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Let me be a little more precise. This is a result of the progressive bracketed structure the US uses for income tax rates. The "marriage penalty" is the result of the income ranges for single filers being more than half the income ranges for MFJ filers. When two people both earn incomes that are more than half the top of the MFJ income range but less than the top of the single income range at a particular percentage, there is a theoretical penalty to being married.

Trouble is, the IRS sees this and accounts for it with the MFS filing status, where the income ranges are exactly half of what the MFJ ranges are.

So the sort of people that this really applies to are those who are not yet married, and may choose to postpone marriage for the marginal benefit of having each of their incomes taxed separately at a lower marginal rate.

Interesting.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #23
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
yeah but so long as it is only once every 3 years you can committ to doing quarterly esitimates the next year and tey wave the penalty. Then you do not even have to do the estimates so longn as you dont owe to much that next year.

At least thats what my CPA suggested a few years back and it worked out ok.

Yes, when I checked today I found this out.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh...well that's done.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote