Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Straight Talk Unlimited

Thinking of dumping Sprint for this...sick of my bill creeping up every month. Has anyone used this setup before? How is it?

My reception typically sucks in my high rise, and Sprint's customer service is abysmal.

Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe you would either get the coverage of ATT or Tmobile, so I'd ask around about that with people you know. It's not really unlimited data though, it's capped at approx 2.5gb and then it gets throttled.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Yeah, that's what I was reading earlier. Hmmm, I think I use right around 2GB a month? I'd have to check.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

Straight Talk coverage is pretty good nationally since they are just a MVNO using AT&T or T-Mobile's coverage. You could try Page Plus if you want Verizon's network. AIO Wireless and GoPhone are AT&T too. Sprint sucks. You'll be so happy elsewhere.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

These are the phones I would consider if you end up going this route-

MotoX($399)-customizeable more than Maximum Football. You can make it look like anything. (Att/Tmobile variants)

MotoG($199)-smaller screen than most(4.5), I have this phone and it's an incredible value. It is only a 3G phone, I've never really had an issue as my knockoff MVNO ATT service(Consumer Cellular) is pretty fast. You kind of have to commit to the Tmobile or ATT version.

Nexus 5(349/399)-Most versatile phone as you can use it on Sprint(+stuff MVNo) like Ting), ATT, and Tmobile

Samsung Galaxy s3/4-You can get the 3 for pretty reasonable unlocked(3-350) but the 4 is a lot more. These are good phones but really are more of a carrier subsidized type thing. like the S4 is probably not worth a 250 dollar premium on the nexus 5.

HTCOne-I believe it's around $450 unlocked, has great reviews.

I'm sure there are others, there's some really good deals on Windows Mobile hardware out there. Plus there's apple stuff but it's like 500+

All of these phones are pretty expensive compared to what you are used to paying for a phone but you gain value over the time that you don't have a contract
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

What might be even better...

I use a Cisco IP communicator system at work, and I run it right from my laptop from the exact same condo downtown that my stupid Sprint phone can't connect a single call for longer than 3 minutes...

Is this an option for daily use? I obviously don't want to have to carry my laptop around with me...is there something that would also work on 3G/4G?

Skype?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

So I was able to cancel Sprint, effective end of this month. I'm now going to be getting a T-Mobile data plan, for either $20 or $30 a month, and am using an app called, Talkatone.

I love the app, but am having issues in two places:

1) I can't get it to communicate with UConnect in my car; the phone still is shown as connected, and still works the Sprint line, but I'm not sure how to get this to respond outside of the phone functionality (even though it's a phone app). Maybe that's just it; it can't do such a thing!

2) I haven't even tried, but I'm not sure yet whether Talkatone lets you send/receive pictures.

Anyone have any experience? I'm pretty much useless without this thing connecting to my car...besides, in Chicago it's required by law.