Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #51
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

It looks like as of right now they aren't allowing private servers for DayZ. Not sure if I have a spare machine with the horsepower to host one that is opened up to the public.

You friggin tease. So, we should pick a time and get on a server that has daylight and run into each other while we get beat up.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 05-24-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #52
Senator

Ok, alone I am mincemeat
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 05-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #53
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Any interest in getting a bunch of us on the same server at the same time?
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #54
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr View Post
I've been trying this out over the last few days and it is great so far. I still have no idea what I am doing (probably compounded by the fact that I never played Arma 2 before). There's been a lot of buzz about this game around the web the last week or two with lots of blogs or sites posting their experiences. I suggest searching for some of those to get an idea on what it is all about.

I mostly wanted to post because if there is anyone on the fence about the mod or wanting to try it out, Amazon currently has Arma 2 combined operations (the version you will need) on sale for 50% for $14.99 via their direct download service. I'm not sure how much longer it will be on sale because I think it has been nearly a week or so. If you do purchase it on there, just be sure to then download the latest patch as unfortunately the download from Amazon is not the latest.

Screw you; you folded against the Devils with the whole team and now you're playing video games. Fu.......

Oh, sorry. Misread that screen name...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:58 AM   #55
Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post

That's the only way this will be any fun. My solo trips have been less than fruitful.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #56
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That's the only way this will be any fun. My solo trips have been less than fruitful.

I agree. Solo involves me wandering around with little loot. As soon as I try to get anything of value, I get killed by other players. I did cooperate with one guy (he even gave me food and drink when I needed it) but that was the only non-bandit I have encountered. I think most bandits are solo so a group of FOFCers could be fun.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #57
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What we will need to do is figure out a way to coordinate. The servers fill up really quickly, so unless we are all online at the same time and communicating, it will be nearly impossible to link up on the same server.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #58
mckerney
Coordinator

Infection: DayZ Servers Hit By Malicious Software | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Quote:
I don’t know whether to growl or sigh so I guess I’ll just groan, or maybe even grigh. Jim’s new favourite playground and horrorshow, DayZ, was the victim of a security breach, carrying the risk that the game’s servers could become a botnet. Thankfully the person responsible has been identified, a statement has been released and legal action is being pursued. The official advice is as follows:
…if you are a user who has downloaded the .exe called dayz_auto_updater.exe from the US Mirror…scan against viruses and read the description by ThreatExpert on where to locate this if your Virus detector does not pick it up.
Additionally, server hosts who supplied RDP details to the DayZ team are also compromised and “need to thoroughly scan their server for the same type of processes and to change their servers RDP details and to NOT ever give the RDP details out to anyone *Including DayZ* from now on”. More below.

While the culprit has been discovered, being spotted hasn’t caused a slinking off into the undergrowth for fear of reprisal, as detailed on the DayZ forums. Of course, when people love a thing, as many people love DayZ, they can become very defensive when that thing is threatened. Important then that they heed the large red text at the forum which says this, except redder:
*NOTE: DO NOT POST THIS PERSONS PERSONAL INFORMATION, GAMING ALIASES, ETC ARE FINE, BUT NAMES, ADDRESSES, SOCIAL WEBSITES ARE NOT ALLOWED IN THIS TOPIC. ALSO DO NOT MAKE THREATS AGAINST THIS PERSON IN ANY WAY LEGAL ACTIONS ARE BEING PURSUED*
Follow the steps to ensure all that needs to be repaired is repaired, take any necessary future precautions and perhaps curse the determination of some people to try and ruin things for other people, in various ways. At least the linked example lead to something glorious though.

On a personal note, it’s irritating that this is my first post about DayZ, something I’ve been wanting to indulge in and write about since I first vicariously enjoyed it through Jim’s writings. I still haven’t found time to play it.

Thanks to VG24/7 for the alert.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #59
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Are FOFC people still playing? I have recently started and wouldn't mind joining with some people.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #60
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

This thing was just released on Steam. I might be picking it up, depending on how my laptop does specs-wise.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #61
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
This thing was just released on Steam. I might be picking it up, depending on how my laptop does specs-wise.

It did, but it's an Alpha version. Specifically, "WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING." is the message you get on Steam.

Figured I'd give you a heads up if you haven't seen that.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hasn't this been out for a while? Why would it be an alpha build? Or is this a new version?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was the same message before it got released on Steam. It has been alpha for a while. But it is pretty stable, and I really haven't had any issues with it.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Hasn't this been out for a while? Why would it be an alpha build? Or is this a new version?

It's the standalone game, not the Arma II mod.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah, I noticed the warning. I'm fine with that. I'm used to games crashing semi-regularly anyway. My only concern is this thing not working well on my i7 Macbook (with Win7 via BootCamp).
Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #66
Berger
n00b

Now that the standalone has been released on steam, I just picked up the game and am going to test it out. If anybody wants to team up, message me here or on Steam (The Flying Ostrich)
Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #67
Berger
n00b

Anyways, I have work off on Friday, so I'm going to boot it up, but it's much better playing it with another person or two, so let me know.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #68
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I picked this up a couple days ago and installed it on my PC at home. I played it for about an hour or so, with all of the lights off and a headset on, at about 1am.

Awesome
Old 12-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I picked this up a couple days ago and installed it on my PC at home. I played it for about an hour or so, with all of the lights off and a headset on, at about 1am.

Awesome

Even in alpha? Interesting...hmm

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-20-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #70
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yeah...there were a few apparent bugs. Example: I wasn't able to get the game out of 1st person view, but after 5 minutes I realize the immersion factor in 1st person was significantly stronger than 3rd person.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #71
Berger
n00b

It's a little buggy, but we all played the mod, even though it was so bad in terms of bugginess and hacking that it was unplayable at times lol
Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #72
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Fuck you all - I'll fucking buy this game and then we can have a FOFC survivor group.

And I mean fuck you in the happy way, not the angry way.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #73
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

LFSO
Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #74
Berger
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fuck you all - I'll fucking buy this game and then we can have a FOFC survivor group.

And I mean fuck you in the happy way, not the angry way.

I'm down for that. A couple of my buddies I usually play with don't have the game yet. Playing alone is ok, but in a group, it's awesome.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

I need to go back and revisit the private server thing. I know initially they weren't allowing it, but it looks like maybe it is now able to be done.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #76
DanGarion
Coordinator

A close friend of mine that recently worked for Microsoft (with the Xbox team) moved to Czech and is a Producer for Bohemia Interactive.

He works primarily on this.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #77
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
A close friend of mine that recently worked for Microsoft (with the Xbox team) moved to Czech and is a Producer for Bohemia Interactive.

He works primarily on this.

Can we get a trout in the game?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #78
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I hope this game reaches a finish line in its development.. I think I would jump in at that point. I hate all the dumbass zombie games flooding the market, but this one actually sounds like a legit experience. I'll probably need a better computer too.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #79
Berger
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I hope this game reaches a finish line in its development.. I think I would jump in at that point. I hate all the dumbass zombie games flooding the market, but this one actually sounds like a legit experience. I'll probably need a better computer too.

It sounds like 2016 is when the game will be fully released. I believe they said Alpha will last for a year, then Beta for a year, so you should have some time.

Although I really hope that isn't right.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #80
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So who has actually picked this up, and what is your username on there? I'm Sun Tzu (same spelling and everything!). Look me up. I'm usually on late at night when the wife and little one are crashed out.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #81
Grover
Pro Starter

Adding this to my wishlist. Looks awesome.

From the screenshots it looks 3rd person, would I be correct?

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #82
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

You can switch between 1st and 3rd person with the "enter" button. So...whichever your pleasure.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #83
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I seriously can't stop playing this game. I haven't been this addicted to a video game since Madden 94 game out on the Genesis. No bullshit.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:55 PM   #84
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I seriously can't stop playing this game. I haven't been this addicted to a video game since Madden 94 game out on the Genesis. No bullshit.

I bought this a couple weeks ago and have played it a handful of times. I don't understand what the hell to do. I run around in a forest or a long road for 45 min. and see run into anyone or find any "loot". What server are you guys playing on? I think I need to jump on with you to see actual gameplay

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #85
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I bought this a couple weeks ago and have played it a handful of times. I don't understand what the hell to do. I run around in a forest or a long road for 45 min. and see run into anyone or find any "loot". What server are you guys playing on? I think I need to jump on with you to see actual gameplay

I haven't played with anyone on FOFC (giggity), but I'd be happy to do so if you guys were up for it (giggity).

Generally speaking, the first thing you want to do after spawning is find some food, water, and a basic melee weapon. I just recently died after a solid two weeks of playing every night. I was completely decked out with an M4, military gear, and everything. Then, out of nowhere, some douchebag shot me in the back when I was walking around a military base.

Le sigh.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #86
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Sun - what server do you play on?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #87
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was tossing up between Rust and Day Z, then grabbed Rust because it was $10 cheaper. I wish I went with Day Z.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #88
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I was tossing up between Rust and Day Z, then grabbed Rust because it was $10 cheaper. I wish I went with Day Z.

I was about to post the same thing. I went with Rust because I thought it sounded more enjoyable to me and also because I read some opinions saying Day Z was nearly unplayable right now.

I can't speak for Day Z but Rust has actually been pretty unplayable for me so far. Not that it doesn't work, it just feels clunky with little polish. I haven't spent a ton of time with it, granted, but that's mostly because it was so blah.

Also wondering if I should have gone with Day Z but I don't want to throw down another $30 on something that just isn't very playable just yet.

Last edited by jaygr : 01-28-2014 at 06:45 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #89
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, Rust sounds a lot better than it actually is, at this stage. A survival game in the wilderness is the game I expected, but instead I got a game where I'm dumped amongst 50 other shirtless people beating each other to death with rocks, in a landscape littered with hundreds of abandoned shacks.

The building mechanics seem good, but I'd like a single player version of this against AI enemies, while Day Z sounds like a better multiplayer experience.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:19 PM   #90
cartman
Death Herald

Not sure where you read that Day Z was unplayable, but it has been solid for quite a bit. I've never had an issue with it, outside of trying to match build versions with servers. Once connected I've never had a crash.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #91
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Not sure where you read that Day Z was unplayable, but it has been solid for quite a bit. I've never had an issue with it, outside of trying to match build versions with servers. Once connected I've never had a crash.

I think I actually did a search on google for something like "should I get Rust or Day Z" and followed some discussion on the topic as it is actually a pretty popular one going right now. The general feel I got was enough people were recommending Rust and I also think the cheaper price swayed me.

I think I'll probably give Day Z a shot soon enough. Just got to let the $20 burn from Rust fade away a bit first.

Last edited by jaygr : 01-28-2014 at 08:27 PM.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #92
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I don't have a preference on a server. I jump from server to server based on ping, and availability.

I'm taking a 24 hour hiatus from the game right now, but if anyone wants to get together for a late-night Friday DayZ fest, I'm down.

Who's interested? I usually jump online with the kid and Wife go to bed - somewhere around 9pm PST. On Friday nights, I tend to play until the wee hours of the morning.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #93
Berger
n00b

DayZ I never would've considered unplayable, it just has a lot of features missing yet, not very many guns, etc. Just a lot of content that has yet to be implemented into the game. For that reason, I haven't played much of the standalone yet, but I'd definitely be down to play with some other people.

Sun, add me on Steam (TheFlyingOstrich - which I should really change...) I'd love to hop on Friday night and play. Hopefully other people do to.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #94
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I really need to try the standalone version. I played it as the ARMA II mod and it was nearly unplayable on my machine at times. Had a lot of potential though and I have heard great things about it.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:08 PM   #95
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Berger, I'll add you tomorrow night when I jump on.

Anyone else?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:28 AM   #96
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Berger - I added you on Steam yesterday (or the day before...I forget). When should I expect to see you online? We can work out a server then.

I expect we'll probably pick up some other fresh spawns while we're looting. Last chance for someone else here to join the party tonight.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM   #97
Berger
n00b

I've got tonight free, so I'll get on when you do. Which you said will be around 9 pst?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:31 AM   #98
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Yup. 9pm is pretty much a sure bet. Do you want to connect on Skype or something before-hand, so we can figure out which server to link up on?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #99
Berger
n00b

Yeah, Skype is good. I sent you a pm with my username on there.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #100
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Playing with other people is pretty damned fun, I must say. Berger and I teamed up for about 4 hours last night. I highly recommend some more folks join in on the festivities. I'd love to roll into each town mobbing 5 deep.