Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
And somewhere, Rae Carruth sheds a bitter tear.

He'll be out in a few years.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #52
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
meh, Leonard Little killed a civilian and got 4 years probation. He then got another DUI, but it was knocked to speeding and 2 years probation.

I think we've learned you can kill whoever you want as long as you play sports.

Honestly, I just don't think we have really tough sentencing when it comes to DUI. I turn on the news everyday here and there is a story about someone on their 3rd DUI killing someone. Once in awhile it ends up with a lengthy sentence when it seems to involve a kid or something, but I think most judges don't give a shit about it and don't treat it seriously.

Driving drunk to me is no different than shooting randomly into a populated area. You know there is a chance your reckless action can kill someone.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #53
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
First of all I NEVER drink and drive and I do like to have a cocktail or two. I am responsible and when I do drink more than a few I have a DD, stay in a hotel, etc... I also have no sympathy for cases like this one especially if they throw the book at him.

That said... I sadly used to drink and drive during a younger period of my life and feel like a .08-.10 deadly accident could sometimes actually be an accident that could have happened regardless of drinking while a wrong way .25 accident seems like it is almost certainly the cause. The law seems to treat both the same. Maybe I am wrong because of course this is just anecdotal experiences but I would strongly favor a system (even just DWI, non-homicide) that made some sense distinguishing between the .08 vs .25.

Well put. I'm in the same boat. I've gotten smarter with age and more responsible since my kids but there are a lot if times in my younger days I could have been legally drunk and driving.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #54
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
First of all I NEVER drink and drive and I do like to have a cocktail or two. I am responsible and when I do drink more than a few I have a DD, stay in a hotel, etc... I also have no sympathy for cases like this one especially if they throw the book at him.

That said... I sadly used to drink and drive during a younger period of my life and feel like a .08-.10 deadly accident could sometimes actually be an accident that could have happened regardless of drinking while a wrong way .25 accident seems like it is almost certainly the cause. The law seems to treat both the same. Maybe I am wrong because of course this is just anecdotal experiences but I would strongly favor a system (even just DWI, non-homicide) that made some sense distinguishing between the .08 vs .25.
At least up here I think there is a distinction at .16 or above where it turns into felony DUI.

No idea how that varies state by state. In Massachusetts you can refuse a breathalyzer (which results in an automatic 180 day loss of license) and blood test, while it seems like in Texas they can order one - "A search warrant for Ratliff's blood was issued at 2:55 a.m. local time, more than two hours after the accident occurred. It will take at least 10 days for the Grapevine police department to get the results of his blood-alcohol test."
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:36 PM   #55
lungs
Pro Rookie

A friend of mine is doing seven years for the same charge. He was first offense and clean record before that. Not that I'm saying he should get what Brent got, but maybe Brent should've got what my friend got.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #56
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Brent out in time for training camp.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #57
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I have a nephew facing felony murder for causing a fatal accident while driving on suspended. Should have done it in Texas.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #58
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I guess I'm just cynical asshole but I kind of think the Victim's mom is financially invested in Brent somehow being able to get another NFL job in the near future. But maybe she just genuinely forgives him, who knows.

Pretty sure that this is genuine and nothing financial. The 2 were best of friends and he's said many times over that no matter the punishment handed out, the worst part of it is that he killed his best friend.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

I think it's genuine too. There are people who can forgive something like that. More power to them. I know I wouldn't be capable.

I also don't think what she wants should matter. It now becomes an issue of protecting other members of society. He has shown multiple times now that he doesn't care about others and is a danger to society.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote