Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #101
Butter
Coordinator

Was wondering about the Panther fans on here and their feelings towards Rivera? Seemed like he was possibly out the door at midseason if they didn't do something.

Well, they've done something, but has he just bought himself time, or is he finally getting players bought in?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #102
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

After Sunday most people are picking the Lions to win the NFC Central. This largely due to two things. First, the injuries to the Packers (Rodgers) and Bears (Briggs, Cutler and others) and Minnesota not being very good. It's very likely that with a healthy Cutler or even perhaps McCown playing more than a series, the Bears win yesterday, but the Lions managed to win, sweep the Bears and take first place over all.

Second, the Lions schedule is pretty light: At Pittsburgh, home against Tampa, home against Green Bay, at Philly, home against Baltimore, home against the Giants, and at Minnesota.

The toughest games are likely home against Green Bay and at Philly, though if Rodgers is still out the Lions may actually have a chance to win their first Thanksgiving Day game in 10 years.

It's on odd position to be in for a Lions fan. You want to believe this team could win the division and make the playoffs, but in the back of your mind you keep thinking: "The are the Lions. They will blow this somehow. It's how they do." After the lost decade of the Milllen era and the fallout from all of that, not being eliminated from the playoffs by early November is good enough.

On another Lions note, while undrafted free agent Joe Fauria stole all the headlines a few weeks ago when he scored 3 TDs against Cleveland, it's looking like undrafted free agent tackle LaAdrian Waddle (Texas Tech) may be the real find. He's started the last two games and has really looked good. In fact, the offensive line, in general, that starts two rookies on the right side (Warford and Waddle) and a second year guy as the starting left tackle (Riley Reif), has played really well so far. That was a huge question mark coming into the season with the Lions losing both starting tackles and a guard.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #103
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I know we have a lot of Niners fans on the board. Anyone feel like they traded the wrong quarterback?

I'm not a Niners fan, but I think it all has to do with the his weaponry. He has Boldin and Vernan Davis as threats. While people still talk about Davis as a star, he caught 41 passes for under 600 yards last year. He's not a TE you can build your offense around. Everyone loves Boldin, but he last had a 1,000 yard season in 2009.

After those two, there are no quality targets to throw the football to. He needs at least two more legitimate targets right now.

I don't think the hype was overstated, I think the kid is going to be a star. But he is not a star yet and as a young QB, he needs help. I think Smith is better for the offense they have right now (no real downfield weapons, quick decisions, etc.) But he wouldn't be for the team they want down the road.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #104
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I had the feeling throughout that if Vernon Davis had played the second half it would have looked a lot like the Carolina/Seattle or Carolina/Buffalo games with Carolina falling behind in the end.

Alternatively, Carolina made so many mistakes themselves on offense with dropped passes on 3rd downs and a couple special teams screwups that Carolina really should have scored more as well. I think this should have played out like a tight 20-17 game where the defenses looked really good, but the offenses at least looked competent.

I was terrified of this game, fearing that Carolina was that team that beats up on bad ones but can't hang with good ones... now, I'm legitimately excited to see what they can do at home next week vs New England. I'm not saying Carolina should dominate or anything, but its kinda nice feeling like my team can hang with anyone!

Except with my beloved Cardinals
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #105
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
It's on odd position to be in for a Bengals fan. You want to believe this team could win the division and make the playoffs, but in the back of your mind you keep thinking: "They are the Bengals. They will blow this somehow. It's how they do."

Put that in my point of view for you.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #106
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Was wondering about the Panther fans on here and their feelings towards Rivera? Seemed like he was possibly out the door at midseason if they didn't do something.

Well, they've done something, but has he just bought himself time, or is he finally getting players bought in?

My expectations going into this year were 7-9 or 8-8 and Rivera gone at the end of the year. I thought it would have made a lot of sense to do a full housecleaning last year when Hurney was fired and bring in a new coach then too. Once that didn't happen, I assumed Rivera was around for this entire season, and *maybe* two, because while Gettleman has done really nice work, its still a massive mess left by the former GM that takes more than one year to get in shape.

The one thing that has clearly changed overnight is Rivera's willingness to take calculated risks. Carolina has lost 3 games I believe in the final seconds over the last couple years where Rivera opted not to go for 4th and 1 in the opponent's territory to seal a win, most recently in the Buffalo loss this year. Since that loss to Buffalo, the playcalling has been much more aggressive, and it has paid off with numerous 4th down conversions that have kept drives alive and won games.

As far as coaching goes, that's really the only difference I can see watching the games. I watch 7-10 hours of football every Sunday, but I don't read a lot of analysis during the week or watch a ton of ESPN/NFL Network, so I may not be aware of any other philosophical changes that may have kicked in after the awful Arizona loss.

Other thoughts:

-- The front 7 is obviously great on defense, but its very young, two rookies at DT, so it makes sense that they'd be improving quickly with live experience.

-- Usage of the stable of backs seems to be improving. The first few weeks Cam didn't run any besides scrambling. Last year there was *WAY* too much read option, and the RB's were severely underused. Early on it seemed like they overcompensated for that and removed Cam as a threat to run. It feels like there's a better balance now, Cam is a threat for a few designed runs but not overused. Additionally, Tolbert is seeing much heavier use, even with Stewart back, and Tolbert is a damn monster.

-- Brandon LaFell seems to finally be developing into... something. I'm a little hesitant to say he's turned into a reliable #2 receiver, but he's definitely found a way to be a legitimate contributor on offense. Ted Ginn has made a few nice grabs and is a deep threat, which has helped too. The WR group is not a strength, but its much less of a glaring weakness.

I still don't know what to expect the rest of the way. I mean, they scored 10 points against San Francisco, usually that doesn't win games. They almost beat Seattle, they should have beaten Buffalo, this could easily be a 7-1 team right now. Or... if they don't run into a San Francisco team at just the right time, and if Davis plays in the second half, they could be a 5-4 team who is doing nothing but beating up on the Tamps and Giants of the league.

I loved what Gettleman did this offseason, and I was totally ready to give a mulligan for this year. Rivera adjusting his late game playcalling may well be enough for now (that stat about Carolina being 2-12 in games decided by less than 7 points under Rivera is pretty telling)?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #107
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tillman done for the year.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #108
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

To answer this btw, I could completely see Carolina losing to New England, getting swept by New Orleans, and losing at Atlanta and finishing 8-8, especially if they lose a few of those in close fashion to make that record in close games look even worse. If that happens, I could still see him getting fired at the end of the year.

Carolina's M.O. in recent years has been to start 1-6, but finish strong when it didn't matter to finish 7-9 or 8-8 and give everyone false hope, so people don't get fired/dropped when they should. That can't happen this year, so Carolina likely ends up a playoff team or feeling really disappointed at the end of the year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Put that in my point of view for you.

Come on, now! Haven't the Bengals made it to the playoffs the last two years in a row? That's gotta account for something.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #110
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

P. Manning expected to play against Chiefs despite ankle injury.

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos aggravated ankle, will play - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #111
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
P. Manning expected to play against Chiefs despite ankle injury.

Peyton Manning of Denver Broncos aggravated ankle, will play - ESPN

Was there really any doubt? I think the MRI could have come back stating he needed to amputate his leg and he'd have played. if he does ever sit, it will be because he was drug away screaming from the practice field.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Was there really any doubt? I think the MRI could have come back stating he needed to amputate his leg and he'd have played. if he does ever sit, it will be because he was drug away screaming from the practice field.

I suppose you can't be less mobile than he already is. Not much changes there outside of trying to get rid of the ball a bit earlier to avoid hits.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #113
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I suppose you can't be less mobile than he already is. Not much changes there outside of trying to get rid of the ball a bit earlier to avoid hits.

His pocket awareness more than makes up for his lack of mobility. Can't see any real change in his game this week. The chiefs will have a sitting target just like they would have. It is their job to figure out a way to disrupt it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-11-2013 at 04:34 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #114
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Come on, now! Haven't the Bengals made it to the playoffs the last two years in a row? That's gotta account for something.

It does, but after spending my entire life waiting it looked like we had something this year.. But it's the Bengals. After they started 6-2 I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #115
Danny
Head Coach

Well at least I can say I havent been let down by the Raiders at all in the past 10 years
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #116
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Well at least I can say I havent been let down by the Raiders at all in the past 10 years

At least the Dolphins came up with a unique way to flush my hopes this season.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #117
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so, uh, who's watching tonights game?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #118
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There's a game on?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #119
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
so, uh, who's watching tonights game?

:raises hand:

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #120
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Miami just looks awful. Against an 0-7 team.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #121
Danny
Head Coach

0-8
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #122
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
After Sunday most people are picking the Lions to win the NFC Central. This largely due to two things. First, the injuries to the Packers (Rodgers) and Bears (Briggs, Cutler and others) and Minnesota not being very good. It's very likely that with a healthy Cutler or even perhaps McCown playing more than a series, the Bears win yesterday, but the Lions managed to win, sweep the Bears and take first place over all.

Second, the Lions schedule is pretty light: At Pittsburgh, home against Tampa, home against Green Bay, at Philly, home against Baltimore, home against the Giants, and at Minnesota.

The toughest games are likely home against Green Bay and at Philly, though if Rodgers is still out the Lions may actually have a chance to win their first Thanksgiving Day game in 10 years.

It's on odd position to be in for a Lions fan. You want to believe this team could win the division and make the playoffs, but in the back of your mind you keep thinking: "The are the Lions. They will blow this somehow. It's how they do." After the lost decade of the Milllen era and the fallout from all of that, not being eliminated from the playoffs by early November is good enough.

On another Lions note, while undrafted free agent Joe Fauria stole all the headlines a few weeks ago when he scored 3 TDs against Cleveland, it's looking like undrafted free agent tackle LaAdrian Waddle (Texas Tech) may be the real find. He's started the last two games and has really looked good. In fact, the offensive line, in general, that starts two rookies on the right side (Warford and Waddle) and a second year guy as the starting left tackle (Riley Reif), has played really well so far. That was a huge question mark coming into the season with the Lions losing both starting tackles and a guard.

1. Even with a decent seed, I don't think fans are fooled into thinking how far this team can go. Seattle and NO are both leaps ahead of the Lions and will likely have home field against the Lions.

2. Picking up steals will go a long way towards Lions being decent while trying to salvage their salary cap issues.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #123
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nitpick...but uh, just knock the ball down there, Revis.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #124
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

And the 2008 Lions can break out the Pepto Bismol.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #125
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
LaAdrian??? How is La a good prefix when the rest of the name begins with a vowel?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
LaAdrian??? How is La a good prefix when the rest of the name begins with a vowel?

I think that question is best directed at Mama or Papa Waddle. I am sure there was a method to their madness.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #127
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Marshall View Post
“It’s the little brother that, big brother wants to go out and play with his friends and the little brother is annoying, [saying], ‘Hey, can I go? No, you can’t go, Detroit Lions. Sit back. Sit in your little city. Fix your financial problems and all of that, you know. You can’t come with us right now. But right now, they’ve got the best of us. They beat us twice. They swept us. But what matters is when we see them in the playoffs. It’ll be a great show. It’s gonna be tough. But I guarantee it’s not gonna go down like it did the first two games.”

“They’re borderline illegal. I’ll attach my name to it. I’m looking at film today, and it was kind of disgusting to see the D-line go out of their way to knock our quarterbacks down after every single play. The ball was gone. They’re pushing them down. They’re hitting them below their knees. It was kind of disgusting. It seemed like it was game planned, but it was borderline. You can’t say it was illegal. But it was definitely one of those things where you say, ‘Hey, we’ve got to pay attention to this.”

Dayuum, Brandon Marshall! That's harsh.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #128
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

You mean Like A-Aron?

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote