Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Electronic keyboards -- a few ?s

Ok, so a few months ago I started a thread about guitars and wanting to learn to play. A co-worker loaned me a cheap Strat knock-off over a month ago. I haven't touched it, so thankfully I didn't spend $400 on a new guitar/practice amp. Still on my bucket list, but postponed for now.

I used to play keyboards when I was a kid. Took organ lessons, played the classics like Bach and such. I was pretty good, not great. I played in a few hard rock garage bands. I was ok; I didn't embarrass myself. However, we're talking 25 years or so since I last played. To put that into perspective, a great key setup would have been a miniMoog, a Mellotron, a cut-down B3 with Leslie, and a Rhodes. Polyphony for electronics was still in the design stage, and MIDI was for the pros only.

My co-workers want me to get back in the game. I need something to play without spending a fortune. I have been doing some research but I am not completely clear about some things, hence this post. If I am understanding correctly, there are basically three keyboard types: stand-alone hardware synths/digital pianos, MIDI controller keyboards, and workstations. The hardware synths can range in price/quality from the Walmart Casio stuff to upscale Nords. (I would love one but way out of my $$ range.) The instruments/sequencer stuff is self-contained. No need for any software, although I think many of these types have MIDI and can expand their instrument catalog. A MIDI controller just sends note data to a PC/Mac running some software (DAW? VST?) and the software actually plays/records the sounds. The workstation is a combination of the two with a built-in computer? (Not real clear on that.)

So, what I want is a single keyboard that allows me to play different instruments (sounds) and maybe lets me record some tracks so that I may be able to do the one-man-band thing. I think that perhaps I need a MIDI controller. I was looking the the 61 key Novation Impulse. Even that might be overkill as those drum pad thingies aren't something that I would use but maybe I'm wrong. My laptop has USB but no soundcard jacks. (Mic and Headphones, yes, but no speaker out.) How do I get sound? Headphones for practice maybe, but do I need an audio interface like a Tascam 122MKII or US-200? (Those are pretty much external soundcards, yes?) One thing that I absolutely need is a good Hammond B3 sound. I found a plug-in by GSi called VB3. It is frickin' amazing. I can't believe that sound is coming from software. But something built-in that sounds good would work for me as well.

And obviously I need some kind of keyboard amp/PA. It's going to take me three or four months of practice to get to a point where I won't feel like an idiot playing with the other people so it's not a high priority. As long as I can hear myself for now, that's what I need, but I wasn't sure about the headphone thing. Any help/suggestions or corrections in my understanding would be appreciated.

weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Super Ugly
High School JV

Great to hear that you're taking the plunge! Other musicians here will have their take, but here's my advice:

1) Get yourself a MIDI controller. It'll be much cheaper than shelling out for a hardware synth, and it'll give you more flexibility in terms of the sounds that you can make. I haven't used any Novation products, but the Impulse looks like a nice keyboard. The pads and pots may seem like overkill now, but trust me, you'll be glad you got them.

2) You'll need a DAW, which will host any VSTs that your MIDI keyboard is controlling (you'll also use it to sequence the sounds). The one I use (and absolutely love, for many reasons) is Ableton Live. If you buy the Novation, then you'll get a 'lite' version of Ableton bundled in with it. This stripped-down version will be more than you need for the time being. Play around with it, and if you don't like it then there are a ton of alternatives (Logic, Cubase, Fruity Loops etc), each with their unique feel.

3) Get some VSTs. I think that even the lite version of Ableton will come packaged with some of the core instruments and effects, but take advantage of all the free synths that are out there. Head off to Togu Audio Line (TAL - Togu Audio Line: Products) and check out the 'free products' page. Zebralette by U-He (Zebralette) is another good one. These synths should be enough to get you started.

4) Your computer almost certainly wasn't designed for music production, so you'll want to get an audio interface. You can get by without one, but latency will be an issue. I really like my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It's inexpensive, and will be perfect for your setup. You can plug headphones or portable speakers directly into your interface, or connect monitor speakers via 1/4 jacks.

Good luck, and PM me if I can help with anything. I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, and I know it seems a bit daunting at first.

Last edited by Super Ugly : 11-10-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
dzilla77
High School Varsity

If your ultimate goal is to play with other people, the Midi controller and computer set up is not the way to go. You will have to lug a computer or laptop with you, you will need an audio interface and some speakers to go along with it. Additionally, sometimes DAW's (the computer software that a Midi controller plays through) can be finicky.

I would recommend an inexpensive keyboard with on board sounds and built in speakers. The sounds aren't bad and they could get you through for awhile.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote