Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
whomario
Pro Starter

Looking for Civil War era Newspaper/Journal articles

Alternatively maybe archives of classic photography journals. Anybody know anything in that regard from own studies or interest ?

To give some context, i am working on a paper on Civil War Photography and it´s reception at the time. Actually i just about wrapped it up today. While reading it over though, i found that i wouldn´t mind a few more original sources than i have in it so far and since it´s not due until next monday i thought i keep on looking. So while it´s not really desperate, would still be neat if anybody could help me out here.

In that spirit, if anybody has any tips in terms of websites or books, lay em on me as well. Won´t touch anything right now, but might well go back to the subject at a later time (general practice over here to base your final "graduate paper" on an earlier one and expand on it)

(so far i´ve used "Americas Historical Newspapers" and "Nineteenth Century US Newspapers" as well as the archives of the NY Times and Atlantic Monthly as well as Humphrey´s Journal)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Buccaneer
Head Coach

My favorite Civil War author is William Frassanito, basically pioneered the field of investigative Civil War photography. His source was primarily the Library of Congress, digging up images that had not been seen before. He was also the one that debunked many of the most popular photographs in looking at companion images (analogy: other exposures on the same roll of film) to prove that the shots were staged or not what had longed believed.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but this site scanned old Harper Ferry papers so you can review as they were back during the Civil War. Very interesting.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...-civil-war.htm
SlyBelle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
whomario
Pro Starter

yeah, he´s featured prominently in the piece Although i admittedly only used his analysis in passing (in a "the photographers were well aware of the effect of their pictures, thus the desire to stage the perfect photograph" way) since that really wasn´t of much consequence to my angle on things. Mainly made use of his introductory passages where he puts CW photography in context with earlier conflicts and their pictures (crimean war for example).

The other main ones i used are:

Alan Trachtenberg (On Reading Civil War Photographs)
Keith Davis (A Terrible Distinctness)
Emily Godbey (Terrible Fascination).
Bob Zeller (Civil War in Depth)

(there´s more, but that´s the english language ones besides the period-texts by Holmes, which are pretty brilliant btw)

The Zeller book is terrific btw. Not a ton of info, but lots of great stereo pictures complete with a viewing devise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but this site scanned old Harper Ferry papers so you can review as they were back during the Civil War. Very interesting.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...-civil-war.htm

that´s brilliant Allready have 2 Harper´s articles and pictures in, but was taking them from reprints in a book. Maybe there´s a couple more on there i can use, at the very least i´ll have some fun browsing through
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-07-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Thomkal
Head Coach

I assume then you are familiar with Mathew Brady? He took (well supervised others) many Civil War era photographs which are in the Library of Congress and National Archives.

Just in case you aren't, here's his Wikipedia page which has links to other places that could be helpful:

Mathew Brady - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to see some of his pictures, there's a small gallery at:

Civil War: Mathew Brady — History.com Photo Galleries (ads cover up the descriptions of them on my computer)
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
yeah, he´s featured prominently in the piece Although i admittedly only used his analysis in passing (in a "the photographers were well aware of the effect of their pictures, thus the desire to stage the perfect photograph" way) since that really wasn´t of much consequence to my angle on things. Mainly made use of his introductory passages where he puts CW photography in context with earlier conflicts and their pictures (crimean war for example).

Nice work.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
whomario
Pro Starter

The crazy part here is, that i don´t even need the grade to be any good (since i have the 2nd semester grade covered by an A-grade allready), but the topic interested me so much that i put in way more effort than nescessary (could have easily made it 20-25 pages rather than the 12-14 that it´s supposed to be)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I assume then you are familiar with Mathew Brady? He took (well supervised others) many Civil War era photographs which are in the Library of Congress and National Archives.

Just in case you aren't, here's his Wikipedia page which has links to other places that could be helpful:

Mathew Brady - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want to see some of his pictures, there's a small gallery at:

Civil War: Mathew Brady — History.com Photo Galleries (ads cover up the descriptions of them on my computer)

Thanks
But yeah, he was actually the starting point. Basically, the whole idea stems from a NY Times review on his presentation of pictures from Antietam (BRADY'S PHOTOGRAPHS. - Pictures of the Dead at Antietam. - NYTimes.com )

I was actually floored by the amount of pictures available online, be it via the Library of Congress collections or even pages like Flickr where the US National Archives uploaded a ton of stuff (for example: Collection: Mathew Brady Civil War Photographs )
All that and no more room for more than some general "there were such and such types of pictures, one good example would be XYZ" remarks

Last edited by whomario : 10-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
cougarfreak
College Starter

F & P Daguerreotype , The Cincinnati Panorama of 1848

This isn't exactly Civil War, it's an 1848 Daguerrotype panoramic photo of Cincinnati's waterfront on the Ohio River. Not sure if it'll be useful to you or not, I use it in the history class i teach. You can pan, zoom, etc. on it.