Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anybody Own an Arcade Game?

I am swinging by a guy's place on Tuesday to check out his Rush N' Attack standup video game which he is selling.

Anybody have a standup arcade game? This is my first experience with an arcade game. Any tips?

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: Anybody Own an Arcade Game?

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
I am swinging by a guy's place on Tuesday to check out his Rush N' Attack standup video game which he is selling.

Anybody have a standup arcade game? This is my first experience with an arcade game. Any tips?

-Anxiety

Yes. Remember to lay down when the Russians are shooting at you. And try to get the rocket launcher, that's key.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Don't forget to bring Schlomo and Slippery Pete with you.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:53 PM   #4
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Don't forget to bring Schlomo and Slippery Pete with you.

Haha. And make sure you plug it into the holes.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Primal
High School JV

Don't forget quarters.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:00 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've long thought that if I ever had a few million free bucks sitting around, I'd have an arcade room with games or even create the video game museum with every game I could possibly get my hands on- that would be such a fun project! The first thing I'd start with, since I spent so much cash on it, would be a sit down Road Blasters followed closely by the Ninja Turtles arcade game (based on percentage of income spent). I have about 15 I would have but here are the ones I can think off of the top of my head:
Ms. Pac-Man
Centipede
Galaga
Gauntlet
Pole Position
Road Blasters
TMNT: Arcade (took Gauntlet to the next level)
X-Men Arcade Game or Simpsons Arcade Game (one of the two that took the multiplayer aspect of TMNT and took it to the extreme)
Street Figter (something-or-other) II Turbo, I guess
NBA Jam TE
T2: The Arcade Game
Area 51

Unfortunately, I haven't been to an arcade in years so I couldn't tell you what's there now. From what I understand, it's a lot of DDR-type games. I think I'll pass.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 10:15 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

The arcade games I would want are Rampage, Tapper, and the baseball game that had the spring-loaded metal joysticks for pitching/hitting. Oh, and a sit-down Spy Hunter.
Old 11-09-2003, 10:28 PM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I kind of meant tips about care, what to look for, how often they need repair, and so forth.

-Anxiety

Old 11-09-2003, 11:40 PM   #9
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I've got a Pac-Man machine circa 1980-81. The only time it's needed repair i when I was swapping game chips (Mrs. Pac Man) and I broke one of the prongs on the chip...apply solder and it was fine. I've never had a problem with anything else.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:38 AM   #10
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
I've long thought that if I ever had a few million free bucks sitting around, I'd have an arcade room with games or even create the video game museum with every game I could possibly get my hands on- that would be such a fun project! The first thing I'd start with, since I spent so much cash on it, would be a sit down Road Blasters followed closely by the Ninja Turtles arcade game (based on percentage of income spent). I have about 15 I would have but here are the ones I can think off of the top of my head:
Ms. Pac-Man
Centipede
Galaga
Gauntlet
Pole Position
Road Blasters
X-Men Arcade Game or Simpsons Arcade Game (one of the two that took the multiplayer aspect of TMNT and took it to the extreme)
NBA Jam TE
Area 51

Unfortunately, I haven't been to an arcade in years so I couldn't tell you what's there now. From what I understand, it's a lot of DDR-type games. I think I'll pass.

SI

X-Men was the best arcade game. EVER.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:57 AM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
I kind of meant tips about care, what to look for, how often they need repair, and so forth.

-Anxiety

From what I understand, if something goes wrong, you just go find an old one that's only good for parts and replace the board that's screwing up on it. Just for novelty's sake, I bought a circuit manual to Road Blasters on ebay- cost like $8. I'm sure you could do the same for any old popular game.

Link to some stuff
Another link on Ebay

EDIT: How much is he asking for the game anyways? Unless it's something rare- it should cost less than $300, especially if you are responsible for transporting it (then it should be under $200).

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-10-2003 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:33 AM   #12
wbonnell
College Prospect

...or you can build your own!

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...464289,00.html
wbonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 AM   #13
Two Thirds Rectal Trout
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
The arcade games I would want are Rampage, Tapper, and the baseball game that had the spring-loaded metal joysticks for pitching/hitting. Oh, and a sit-down Spy Hunter.

I believe that was called World Series from around 1988. You could play regular or home run derby and the game would keep stats for you so, when you returned, you could type in your code and keep going.

I'd want all the old laser disc games - Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Mach 3 and Cliffhanger. Although, I think Cliffhanger is one of those exceedingly rare ones to find.
Two Thirds Rectal Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:17 AM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yep, I have a friend here in Italy who went the MAME route. He bought an aracde cabinet with a functioning monitor. He bought a video card that can do the correct frequencies for the monitor. He also gutted a keyboard, and rigged an arcade joystick and trackball to trigger the correct keys. He now has over 5000 games that can be played in their "original" format in the standup cabinet. Pretty sweet. Total investment was like $800 and about 10 hours of time.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by wbonnell
...or you can build your own!

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/ho...464289,00.html

Very cool. Now find me one for a standup cabinet I'm just not big on the cocktail table versions.

SI

Old 11-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

Check the screen edges for fading or distortion. The screen is really the only thing that costs major money to replace that I had to deal with. I have a couple video games and a couple pinball machines in my game room. The pinball machines require cleaning every couple months, but I don't do anything for the video games.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:14 PM   #17
Esquared1
High School JV

Talking

You could ask Ricky from Silver Spoons. If you have trouble finding him, I understand he works in New York these days.
Esquared1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #18
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Ms. Pac-Man
Centipede
Galaga
Gauntlet
Pole Position
Road Blasters
NBA Jam TE
Area 51

SI

Saint Louis used to have a museum of arcade games down on Laclede's Landing. It had most of the games you mentioned in addition to favorites of mine like Bezerk and the original Pole Position. It also had some really old games like a game where you drove the ladder on a fire truck. (There is a Seinfeld reference in there somewhere) It was really cool, but unfortuantly as the times has changed the landing had to get rid of it (and a pretty cool wax museum) to add more bars.

As far as what game I would love to own, I am torn between NBA Jam (the original without all of the extra frills) and World Cup Soccer Pinball.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM   #19
sooner333
College Starter

NBA Jam would be awesome to own. As would NFL Blitz. NBA Showtime was a pretty cool game as well. However, NBA Jam is the only game I remember people just stading around and watching people play four players at a time back in the day.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 07:04 PM   #20
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

FOFC and no football games?

John Elway Team Quarterback (would've bough on ebay if i had a house)
Cyberball
Some football game that was semi-medieval in style.

Ahh, my mispent youth in arcades...
pacman...
star wars.
super pacman

there must be others but i'm having trouble recolelcting.

i remember watching some guys trying to break a record at robotron. they played for like 4-6 days straight.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:22 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some football game that was semi-medieval in style.

That triggers some faint recollection of a game with like ogres & trolls and the like, with some character with a mace or something that he used to whack ball carriers with. Does that sound like what you're talking about?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #22
markprior22
High School Varsity

Sounds like Blood Bowl
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:45 PM   #23
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by finkenst
FOFC and no football games?

Football was always best left to playing at home thanks to the godliness that was Tecmo Bowl. Plus, unlike basketball, football only lends itself to two players and the game format doens't work nearly as well on the limited time a quarter would buy. I'm guessing arcade game makers have studied and found an "optimal" time they want users on their machine that will get them off as quickly as possible to spend more quarters but will keep them coming back for more. I'm guessing it's 5-10 minutes max and 2 minute football quarters just aren't fun- it become a contest of who can connect on the most hail marys.

Man, the more I read this, the more I want to beg Billy Gates or someone to make one. You think Mark Cuban has some spare cash lying around? If anyone becomes a multi-billionaire and wants a curator of a Video Game museum, I'm your man

SI

Old 11-10-2003, 09:47 PM   #24
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

JoninGA and MarkPrior22..

I do believe that's the game...

Ogres and trolls..

man i hated that game when my little brother got one of those things.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 09:48 PM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Iwas NFL Blitz champion at UNO during my sophomore and junior years. I was the only regular player at the entire school who stressed defense. I pissed everybody else off. I'm so proud.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:14 PM   #26
Craptacular
College Starter

Gauntlet
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
A.P.B.

Give me these and I'll never leave the basement.

Seriously, I have gone to one game auction, but didn't buy anything. It was run by Super Auctions (www.superauctions.com). They had an A.P.B. that worked fine, except for the brake pedal (who needs brakes?). However, it was one of the last items in line, and I couldn't wait long enough to see how much it went for. I'm planning on buying a few games, and auctions seem to be the only good way to get the classic games. Do a search on google, and you should be able to find some decent info. I remember coming across the web site of some guy who went to a bunch of auctions and recorded the selling price for every arcade game. It was a good way to get a handle on how much you should pay for a particular game.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:33 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

I worked at an arcade for awhile. As has been said, the monitor is the most expensive part of the game.

If you're a button masher, you may need to replace the buttons or the triggers every once in awhile. I learned how to do it in about 30 seconds. Very simple stuff. There are trigger switches for the joystick as well.

If I had enough money to have a room dedicated to games, it would be nothing but pin ball.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #28
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My all time favorite arcade football game was the old Atari Football. It was the tall cocktail style cabinet, with the trackball on either side, and offense was Os and defense was Xs. I don't remember how many blood blisters I got spinning that trackball. Good stuff.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 AM   #29
saintjo
College Benchwarmer

i built my own arcade cabinet and run MAME on a computer inside. it wasnt too bad, it only took about a week.

www.wendyandjoseph.com/shotokan.htm
Old 11-12-2003, 03:39 PM   #30
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I purchased Rush N Attack for 350 and I'll be bringing it back to my place on Friday.

-Anxiety