Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #101
tarcone
Coordinator

7 turnovers in 2 weeks by Gardner? Thats a bad sign. Who is the back up?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #102
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Gardner fumbles and returned for a TD. 21-7 UConn. Ugh.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #103
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
7 turnovers in 2 weeks by Gardner? Thats a bad sign. Who is the back up?

Shane Morris, 4* recruit and considered one of the best QBs from last year. The problem is, I don't think he helps this situation with the line playing as bad as it is.

Last edited by Matthean : 09-21-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #104
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan gains its legs enough to score 17 straight for the victory. You can see the potential. It's just buried way deep down.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #105
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Whew! (again...)

I think during the bye some blocking drills might be a good idea.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #106
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

The only good thing I saw out of that was some adjustments in the pass rush. That was actually a decent defensive performance out of Michigan.

Gardner, though. His confidence is shot. He's looking run-first now. This won't play well in the Big Ten. It could well be a 6-6 or 7-5 season if he doesn't get his head on straight. Morris isn't the answer yet.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #107
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Twitter / JehuuCaulcrick: I don't understand y everyone ...

Quote:
I don't understand y everyone is making a big deal over Arian Foster saying he got money while he was in college. News flash We all did.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #108
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I am starting to wonder with the Johnny Football autograph "scandal", the SI OSU investigation, the Foster article... if this isn't just the breaking point of another thing that we always just assumed was true but didn't really want to know. Kind of like the NSA spying on us, everyone pretty much knew it was happening but finally they were just like "Yeah we spy on you all the time". And much like that story I think the basic reaction from the fans on college players being given money will be complete disinterest.

Last edited by panerd : 09-21-2013 at 10:54 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #109
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
And much like that story I think the basic reaction from the fans will be complete disinterest.

That increasingly becoming my reaction to college sports in general. If it is indeed as completely & thoroughly corrupt as seems likely at this point, then I'm about ready to say to hell with them all.

After today's little stunt I'm already unable to enjoy any success from my top team's starting QB and half the notable players on the defensive side of the ball, they're just an unlikable bunch of ungrateful punks with little to no character. Once you reach the point of feeling that way about what should your favorite players, how much joy is really left in watching or even following them?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #110
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
The only good thing I saw out of that was some adjustments in the pass rush. That was actually a decent defensive performance out of Michigan.

Gardner, though. His confidence is shot. He's looking run-first now. This won't play well in the Big Ten. It could well be a 6-6 or 7-5 season if he doesn't get his head on straight. Morris isn't the answer yet.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the projections of Gardner going pro & being a 1st round pick were premature.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:21 PM   #111
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the projections of Gardner going pro & being a 1st round pick were premature.

Definitely premature, in the thought line of he hadn't (hasn't) proven that yet. But, I think the potential is still there. He can definitely scramble, that - he has proven. With the recent success of the mobile QB, teams will take a hard look at QBs that can move & throw. So, the question for his pro future is ... Is he RG3/Colin Kaepernick, or Tim Tebow/Denard Robinson - or something between. (I think he is something between).

But, I don't think we can grade him right now. The offensive line is simply playing horrible, and I can't blame the kid for having happy feet. I'd like to see (and I'm sure NFL scouts would too) what he can do if he has the amount of time a QB should have to throw the ball. Right now, he's at the point where nearly every pass - he forced to move to avoid a sack.

I think we have learned though, that when a pass play is designed - and he is forced to move .. he makes bad throws/decisions.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #112
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

Logan Thomas is still a lock for the top ten though, right?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #113
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I think we have learned though, that when a pass play is designed - and he is forced to move .. he makes bad throws/decisions.

And that's going to be the killer. You play behind a bad line? Fine, at least try to make some proper reads and decisions, aka just throw it away if need be. You simply can't screw your team over like he is. You also can't expect to go to the pros and play behind top quality lines. He has tons of talent, but he lacks in basic game manager skills. If this lasts until next year, I'm guessing there will be a wealth of a movement towards giving Morris a shot. I wouldn't be surprise if that movement gains ground this year.

Denard had his own game manager skills issues, but the thing that killed him maybe more than anything was he had the weakest arm of any known QB I can think of.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #114
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
And much like that story I think the basic reaction from the fans on college players being given money will be complete disinterest.

I think the question is ultimately going to be, and I think the O'Bannon lawsuit's probable success will go a long way to answering this question, is "Should we formally legalize a player payment system beyond the scholarship, and if yes, what form/structure should that take?"

As Taylor Branch so clearly illustrated, and Seth Davis re-affirmed in his rebuttal to Branch, this type of corruption has been taking place ever since the inception of college sports and college football. Efforts at reform over the ballpark 150 years have all failed miserably for various reasons.

When what I believe to be the inevitable legalization occurs, the NCAA may well be killed off. At the very least, it will undergo massive reform, and the doors will be flung open to even greater booster and corporate sponsorship influence in college sports, making completely open what was formerly under the table.

I wouldn't be shocked in the least to see the big money schools part ways with the NCAA and form their own association, taking all the football money with them and greatly devaluing the NCAA's men's basketball money, which will further weaken the NCAA and hasten its demise.

Hell, they can't even agree on the proposed $2,000 COL stipend being added on to the current scholarship package. The large schools who have the cash all approve it, but the smaller schools, who don't have the resources and would be put at further competitive disadvantage, keep blocking it.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 AM   #115
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great to see Mizzou continue to click on offense again this week. Averaging 46 PPG right now and scored 45 on the road. More importantly, the defense shut down what had been a pretty potent offense for Indiana. Two of the touchdowns were late in mop-up duty when the game was already decided.

Great to get a road win. Also, congrats to Coach Pinkel on equaling Dan Devine's win total of 93 games at Mizzou. Next up, Don Faurot.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #116
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I'm guessing there will be a wealth of a movement towards giving Morris a shot. I wouldn't be surprise if that movement gains ground this year.

I certainly thought it, multiple times, tonight.

But, after these last couple games, I'm left with the thoughts .. "we're f**k*d, this O-Line can't handle the Big 10".
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #117
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
I certainly thought it, multiple times, tonight.

But, after these last couple games, I'm left with the thoughts .. "we're f**k*d, this O-Line can't handle the Big 10".

I think they can be a strength down the road, and certainly the tackles are excellent. The interior, especially Miller, does need to improve. To me, the problem is Toussaint. Before his big injury (and before and after all his little injuries), he was a master at squaring up and bursting through holes. I figured he'd wind up a first-day pick in the NFL from the first day I saw him in mop-up time as a freshman.

Now, he pussy-foots like Barry Sanders' dance instructor trying to teach the lindy to Simon Cowell. He runs to the sidelines when the tackles are clearing out a defensive end. He gives stunting linebackers a chance to trip him in the backfield.

I'd consider giving Morris a shot if Gardner can't recapture what he had against Notre Dame. Which is, basically, confidence and avoiding the disaster reads that lead to turnovers. But that would be admitting 2013 can't be a 14-game season.

However... Monday, in practice, I want Derrick Green installed as the #1.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #118
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Green has limited carries, but he hasn't done much. He was after all the #3 RB until an injury moved him up. Again, the OL isn't helping either. Oh, I would love to see him get some meaningful reps.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #119
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Great to see Mizzou continue to click on offense again this week. Averaging 46 PPG right now and scored 45 on the road. More importantly, the defense shut down what had been a pretty potent offense for Indiana. Two of the touchdowns were late in mop-up duty when the game was already decided.

Great to get a road win. Also, congrats to Coach Pinkel on equaling Dan Devine's win total of 93 games at Mizzou. Next up, Don Faurot.

You guys beat us pretty thoroughly last night. Sudfeld seemed off, and Roberson hasn't played well this year. I thought we would at least be competitive, but we weren't. Our defense is still lacking in Big Ten-level talent. Still had a good time at the game, but the result was disappointing.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #120
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Wow. Iowa wins 59-3. Didnt think we would score that many points in 3 games.

Good stuff.

Went to the game yesterday...my first Iowa game in overt 10 yrs. Was so nice to relax and enjoy the game with no tension. Can't remember the last time Iowa had a win like this.

Last edited by markprior22 : 09-22-2013 at 08:55 AM.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #121
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Michigan center might as well have not shown up. That DT for UConn just abused him.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #122
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pretty cool article in the NY Times today about Rutgers' RB Paul James, who has gone from being a walk-on to currently leading the country in rushing.

A Rutgers Walk-On Rushes to the Top - NYTimes.com

And now out, at least a few weeks, with a lower leg injury. Speculation is he broke his fibula.

Hopefully he can rehab quickly. Tough break for a great kid.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #123
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That increasingly becoming my reaction to college sports in general. If it is indeed as completely & thoroughly corrupt as seems likely at this point, then I'm about ready to say to hell with them all.

After today's little stunt I'm already unable to enjoy any success from my top team's starting QB and half the notable players on the defensive side of the ball, they're just an unlikable bunch of ungrateful punks with little to no character. Once you reach the point of feeling that way about what should your favorite players, how much joy is really left in watching or even following them?

Talking about Vad Lee?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #124
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA played pretty badly vs NMSU all things considered but I'm happy that we've reached a point where we play horrible and still beat a bad team by 45 points.

Two of three games have seen UCLA not bothering to punt

UCLA also ran their first offensive play with just 10 men to honor Nick Pasquale.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote