Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
RainMaker
General Manager

How do you handle a car accident that isn't your fault?

I was in a minor accident today. Long story short a lady blew a stop sign and we swapped paint. Bumper has some damage to it, but not a huge deal. I got lucky that a cop was at that same intersection and saw the whole thing. Got the full report with everyone's info. She was ticketed, I was not.

Anyways, what's the next step? Do I contact my insurance company and report it or go through hers? Never really had to do this before. Seeing conflicting information online.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Ping: Lathum

With a cop witnessing it, this was pretty much a dream car accident scenario, all things considered. I believe the move is to contact your own insurance company, and they'll go through hers for the damages once you get them a copy of the report. "Proper" procedure could vary by state, I'm assuming, but you'll be fine.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, I don't foresee any issues. Especially when she was the one ticketed. I asked around and had one person tell me to contact her insurance company and leave mine out which seemed weird. Another said to contact mine and they'll do the work and get the money from hers.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
RedKingGold
College Starter

Not sure if it matters too much. The carriers will be in contact with each other once you provide the insurance information for both drivers. I would definitely take photos of the damage before driving the vehicle extensively, and report the accident ASAP.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
CraigSca
Pro Starter

My wife was in an accident last October - woman tried to make a left hand turn in front of her. Anyway...definitely contact your insurance company - they will get the police report and then contact the other insurance company. Your company will pay for any repairs, but they will get that money from the insurance company of the person who caused an accident.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
TRO
College Prospect

Take pictures.

I would attempt to report to hers first. Assuming you get a fast response, it will be the simplest solution.

If you report to yours, which is ok too, they will pay for damage less your deductible. Once your carrier is reimbursed from her carrier, you will get your deductible back.

If damage is less than your deductible, your only real recourse is going directly to her carrier.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Hey

Do me a favor- PM me with the companies involved if you like

I work in property damage for one of the big insurance companies, so I deal with this everyday.

Usual disclaimer, laws vary by state, etc...

You have a few different options.

First you have to decide if you want to repair your car, you always have the option of taking a check for the amount of damages and doing what you please with it.

I am going to assume you have all her insurance information. You can go through her insurance company if you don't want it to show up on your policy. Call them and see if she has filed a claim, if not then you can get them started on it and they will contact you. Just be aware, they will likely not pay anything until they have a statement from their insured, so the process could take longer.

If you do decide to go through her insurance YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO REPAIR WHERE THEY WANT YOU TO. You can repair at any shop you like, it is your vehicle.

The fact you have a police report/ witness means they will likely take liability for the accident.

The other option you have is you can file a claim with your own carrier, this worries a lot of people because they are concerend abouit their rates. Typically if it is a no fault accident your rates aren't affected, but I obviously can't say yes or no on that.

what will happen is your provider will write their own estimate and either suggest a shop or tell you to pick one. They will then work with the other insurance company on getting them to take liability for the accident. Different companies do it different ways, you may have to pay your deductible and get reimbursed by the other company, or your company may waive your deductible and collect back from her insurance company.

My advice- Go through your insurance if you want to repair, that is what you pay them for. Now if you are in a rush you could be out your deductible until liability is settled, or you can wait and hope the other person isn't a creep and liability gets determined quickly.

If you are just cashing out, get an estimate from both comapnies and take the higher amount.

Feel free to ask more questions, or PM me if you like
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Desnudo
Coordinator

Depends on the state. Here in Texas you only need to get your insurance involved if the fault is in dispute or it's your fault. Otherwise you work with other person's claims adjuster. If its a no fault state like Mass. then you work through your insurance. Either way, take lots of photos and write down what happened in your words while the memory is still fresh. I would then make sure that recollection lines up with the police report.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Depends on the state. Here in Texas you only need to get your insurance involved if the fault is in dispute or it's your fault. Otherwise you work with other person's claims adjuster. If its a no fault state like Mass. then you work through your insurance. Either way, take lots of photos and write down what happened in your words while the memory is still fresh. I would then make sure that recollection lines up with the police report.

he is under no obligation to get his insurance involved, however, he pays them to represent thiem in thses situations.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I just recently went through this in a minor accident that wasn't my fault (same situation - he was ticketed, I was not). I opened a claim with my insurance, they paid for the repairs initially (I paid my deductible), then when he was found at fault, they got the money back (and I got my deductible back). Sounds like it should be pretty painless in your situation, but as others have said, could be different with the companies involved, etc.

Either way - hope it all works out in your favor, it can be a PITA!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I just recently went through this in a minor accident that wasn't my fault (same situation - he was ticketed, I was not). I opened a claim with my insurance, they paid for the repairs initially (I paid my deductible), then when he was found at fault, they got the money back (and I got my deductible back). Sounds like it should be pretty painless in your situation, but as others have said, could be different with the companies involved, etc.

Either way - hope it all works out in your favor, it can be a PITA!

This is pretty standard, except depending on the companies and how quickly liability can be determined, you may be able to get your deductible waived.

One other thing, if you don't carry rental car coverage on your policy, and go through your provider, you may have to pay out of pocket for a rental and get reimbersed by the other company. If this is the case make sure you discuss that with them ahead of time.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

Thanks for all the help. It seems like the easiest method is to just go through my own insurance company. Biggest concern was not getting the deductible back and wondering how hard they'd fight to get it from the other insurance company. Don't want to be stuck paying for something not my fault.

It looks like it's just the bumper. Maybe there is more damage depending on what they say needs to be done. So it's probably a quick fix.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Thanks for all the help. It seems like the easiest method is to just go through my own insurance company. Biggest concern was not getting the deductible back and wondering how hard they'd fight to get it from the other insurance company. Don't want to be stuck paying for something not my fault.

It looks like it's just the bumper. Maybe there is more damage depending on what they say needs to be done. So it's probably a quick fix.

They will fight otherwise they are out the money above your deductible.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
finketr
College Prospect

When this sort of thing happened to me, I had parked and the lady backing out didn't look over or hear my horn when she backed up while turning and clobbered the front right quarterpanel, door, and tire, I called my insurance company, they took care of getting it fixed and then recovered from her insurance. I didn't pay anything out of pocket at all.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
When this sort of thing happened to me, I had parked and the lady backing out didn't look over or hear my horn when she backed up while turning and clobbered the front right quarterpanel, door, and tire, I called my insurance company, they took care of getting it fixed and then recovered from her insurance. I didn't pay anything out of pocket at all.

that is the ideal situation.

and there is no such thing as a front quarter panel, its called a fender
Old 09-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
that is the ideal situation.

and there is no such thing as a front quarter panel, its called a fender

whatever.. i'm not a car person.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote