Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not a car racing fan these days, but...

... it was great fun watching these at Spencer Speedway when I was a kid. Neat looking cars!

This is Maynard Troyer in his White Lightning car. Anybody else enjoy modified car racing?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My family and I used to go to the local track every weekend in Yuma, they would have about 4 hours of clay track racing in different classes. Modified, Super Stock, and Sprint cars.. It was always a good time. I don't know if they still run races on weekends there, but I enjoyed going despite not being a fan of racing myself. Something about watching a car "slide" around a turn rather than drive normally was a lot more fun.

I guess its called Cocopah Speedway now, looks like they have really improved the facilities.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 09-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

By the way, Maynard Troyer survived this incredible crash at the 1971 Daytona 500.

Troyer achieved one top-five finish (at the 1971 Yankee 400), three top-ten finishes, and 3259.1 accumulated miles (1767 laps) of racing experience.[1] Maynard was a runner-up for the 1971 NASCAR Rookie of the Year award (Walter Ballard won the title because he competed in more races than Troyer did).[1]

He was a competitor at the 1971 Daytona 500, on lap 9 of that race he lost control in turn two. Troyer's bright orange-red Ford hit the flat sideways at full speed and began tumbling so fast, it was almost impossible to count the number of flips. press estimates ranged from 5 to 18 flips. It was at least a dozen. Troyer was seriously hurt, but recovered to compete again in 1973. Troyer finished his career with a total amount of earnings set at $14,940 ($77,264.66 in today's money).[1]

Intermediate tracks were Maynard's best racing experiences; giving him an average finish of 22nd place. However, Troyer had difficulties at the tri-oval tracks where he would finish in a lackluster 31st place.[2]

Last edited by Kodos : 09-12-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote