Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

Ping: BYU Fans

I know there are a few on the board.

I'm very likely taking my son to the BYU-Georgia Tech football game this fall in Provo. I wanted to pick your brains for travel tips.

No game time is set yet, and I would assume that it won't be set until two weeks before for TV purposes. That said, I'm also assuming that the game wouldn't start before noon local time. Is that fair, or are there ever 10 AM or 11 AM local starts for east coast television purposes? Does BYU have a standard start time for games not picked up by the major networks?

How is traffic driving from Salt Lake City to Provo on game days? I am looking at a Saturday morning flight that would land at SLC at 10:25. (I'm familiar with the SLC airport and car rental set up there.) In my worst case scenario of a noon kick-off, would I have any prayer of making it from the airport to the stadium for kick-off.

I have heard that Provo is more of a dry town than other parts of Utah. Is this true? Is the only place to have a cold beer the Marriott Provo? Or is this a college message board rumor?

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

There are at least 2 of us

Macro can chime in as well, since he gets back to Utah more than I do, but if you land at 10:25 you would have virtually no chance to make a noon kickoff after you got luggage, rental car etc from the SLC airport. You would be looking at solid 45-50 minute drive from the airport to Provo on a good day (no traffic)

On game day you are going to hit traffic and on top of that I-15 was a mess with construction all over the place last time I was there for a game (2011). With the amount of construction they were doing it is probably still rough in a lot of places between SLC and Provo. So worst case you could be looking at 1 1/2 to 2 hours if it is an early kickoff.

Kickoff time is standardly Noon or 1:00, but the game will definitely be on one of the ESPN family of networks, so that may change, I would think to later rather than earlier.

You're not going to find alcohol close to the stadium, but the larger chains in Provo serve alcohol (Applebees, Olive Garden, etc) and they have a State liquor store in Provo as well as some bars.

My advice would be to fly in Friday night if possible, stay in Salt Lake area over night (I would recommend the Sandy area which is south of Salt Lake and on the way off of I-15) more options for dinner and drinks there.

In the morning leave at around 9:30 for the game, that gives you a chance to grab a bite and a beer in Provo before the game and not be rushed.

Another option is drive to Provo Friday night and stay at the Super 8 on 1555 North Canyon road, it is literally a couple of blocks from the Stadium and is a nice, clean little place with a free breakfast. This is where I stay and we just walk to the game, plus you can 'tailgate' in your room as there is no place you can drink on the BYU campus before a game. Just grab your beer or whatever in Salt Lake as you can't even buy beer at one of the gas stations or convenience stores close to the Motel as they are considered on campus as well.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-15-2013 at 06:40 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

I will add that the backdrop around LES is awesome, especially that time of the year and the fans will treat you very well.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah, it's a 45-50 minute ride normally from SLC Airport to Provo, with the express lanes you might get there a bit more. The construction has cleared up in most areas around Provo now, but I don't know what it's like between SLC and Provo.

BYU 14 is correct in regards to the drink aspect. However, you have a Courtyard Marriott right by the campus that is within walking distance to the stadium too. It might be booked out though for the game.

Food wise, I think you get a great choice of food in Provo if you know where to go. It also depends on the type of food you are looking for.

I would definitely suggest flying in Friday night, drive down to Provo (Or Sandy as BYU 14 suggested) and enjoy it a little bit. But traffic will be at a literal standstill gameday. 62K+ people coming into an area that just quite hasn't been able to adjust for it.

If you want tips on where to eat in Provo or even Sandy, I have no problem and I am heading out at the first of August and I can let you know the construction situation as well.

I wish I was still living in Utah as I know Cartman was talking about the Texas game. That would be two FOFCers flying into my neck of the woods.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright,

I forgot to come back and post. Most of the construction is complete around the area. You may run into some.

If you are looking to get your drink on and are at a restaurant, you have to order food. On top of that, your bartender will be mixing drinks behind a screen or in the back as the new law for food establishments, kids aren't supposed to see the evil drinks (State rule, not just Utah County).

There is construction going on around campus, but shouldn't affect your commute to the stadium.

If you want a cool experience and willing to drop some coin, fly in the night before, stay and Sundance Resort up Provo Canyon and see some beautiful country.

Other than that, I suggest the Sandy to Provo trip...
Old 08-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
digamma
Torchbearer

Thanks. I actually booked our flights last week. Decided to make a weekend of it. We fly in Friday morning and we are going to stay in Provo at the Marriott.

Any local type eating spots that I shouldn't miss?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Thanks. I actually booked our flights last week. Decided to make a weekend of it. We fly in Friday morning and we are going to stay in Provo at the Marriott.

Any local type eating spots that I shouldn't miss?

What kind of food are you into?

If you want to go into a meat coma, Tucanos is a Brazilian Churasca which is one the better ones I have been to.

Downtown, by the Marriott where you are staying you have a variety of great places, Los Hermanos is one, there are also some great Italian Restaurants there.

If you want to go with a Polynesian Flair, you have L&L Hawaiian BBQ or Bamboo Hut (I prefer Bamboo Hut out of the two, because I have L&L's teriyaki marinade recipe and use it a lot).

Greasy Spoon on campus called Stan's, has been around for years and will introduce you to a Utah oddity, Fry Sauce.

J-Dogs up on campus has probably some of the best hot dogs I have ever had.

North County I can't tell you as all of that has gone up since I have moved out here.

None of these places are able to sell alcohol due to some of the screwed up rules in Utah County, but the food is great.

Let me know your food preference and I will point you into the right place.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Dola,

I also forget and BYU 14 should be able to second this one for me..

Brick Oven Pizza aka Heaps a Pizza is right next to campus, is one of the best pizza places in the state, have their own homemade root beer and is just a great place to eat.