Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
WVUFAN
College Starter

New Man of Steel trailer

Ok, I know trailers are designed to do this, but as a comic book fan, I am absolutely STOKED for this movie.

Man of Steel - Official Trailer 3 [HD] - YouTube

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
chinaski
College Prospect

Holy shit, Michael Shannon as General Zod!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #3
cuervo72
Head Coach

Still don't like the new outfit.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looks awesome.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I still feel like I keep seeing teasers and not trailers. A whole 3 minute trailer and I get that Clark saved someone as a kid, looks like he saves an oil rig, and has General Zod after him. That's ok- that's one way to advertise a movie but it makes me less excited, not more. For others, I think the opposite is true.

EDIT: Oh, and if you decide to go morally ambiguous Superman again... /sigh/ The first 45 minutes of Superman Returns from the retro credits to the Gene Hackman-esque used car salesman Luthor to some contrived plot with Lois writing a story and crescendo'ing into the classic Superman catches a plane trick: note perfect! Then we had Supes trying to get with a married woman, Luthor becoming Joker-level psychotic, and, well the whole thing fell apart into a giant mess.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-16-2013 at 09:41 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I still feel like I keep seeing teasers and not trailers. A whole 3 minute trailer and I get that Clark saved someone as a kid, looks like he saves an oil rig, and has General Zod after him. That's ok- that's one way to advertise a movie but it makes me less excited, not more. For others, I think the opposite is true.

SI

To me a good trailer doesn't tell me shit but keeps me intrigued. This was a damn good trailer, imo.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #7
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

SI

What do you want to see?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

I find it so hard to be interested in Superman. I know that in super hero movies the hero is always going to kick serious ass, beat the baddies, and win, but in the case of Superman he's just too damn super to really grab my interest.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

I thought that looked fantastic.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Superman 2 remains one of my favorite super hero movies ever.

I am looking forward to this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I find it so hard to be interested in Superman. I know that in super hero movies the hero is always going to kick serious ass, beat the baddies, and win, but in the case of Superman he's just too damn super to really grab my interest.

This...

I always felt he was just to invincible and they had to come up with these ridiculous scenarios to find him a worthy opponent.

However, that doesn't mean I didn't watch (and often enjoy) the movies/stories...

Last edited by Breeze : 04-17-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Autumn
Head Coach

People always bring up his super power set, but I think what makes Superman difficult to write is that he's both nearly invincible and morally pure. The easiest way to deal with a very powerful character would be to put them in moral conflicts, but that goes against the nature of Superman, whose character is based around the fact that he does the right thing. No one wants to see Superman thinking about forgetting everyone and going to hang out on Mars. We know that he's always going to choose to save everyone. That limits the kind of stories you can write, I think. You could write about him being a lone alien on a world of humans with his home destroyed, but that's not really his character either. Clark was raised by the Kents and the whole deal is that he isn't a Kryptonian anymore, he belongs with us. So you can't work too hard on that angle. I think that's why you often get this Zod thing of "come be a Kryptonian" and Superman siding with the humans.

Really in the end the real conflict for Superman is he can save anyone but he doesn't have the time to save everyone. I'm not sure how to write a story around that, but that seems to me his defining conflict.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Really in the end the real conflict for Superman is he can save anyone but he doesn't have the time to save everyone. I'm not sure how to write a story around that, but that seems to me his defining conflict.

I've never read a Superman comic, but given the most recent Swamp Thing story arc involves that character going to see Superman because he is also trying to deal with pretty much the same issue, it seems that's exactly what they've done with the character of Superman.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

EDIT: Oh, and if you decide to go morally ambiguous Superman again... /sigh/ The first 45 minutes of Superman Returns from the retro credits to the Gene Hackman-esque used car salesman Luthor to some contrived plot with Lois writing a story and crescendo'ing into the classic Superman catches a plane trick: note perfect! Then we had Supes trying to get with a married woman, Luthor becoming Joker-level psychotic, and, well the whole thing fell apart into a giant mess.

SI

First trailers didn't get me excited. I haven't been this fired up since "Independence Day."

Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
First trailers didn't get me excited. I haven't been this fired up since "Independence Day."

Because thread necromancy is fun (and what I do):

The ID4 hype was some of the best of all time for a movie.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Independence Day 2 arriving in 2015 - SlashGear
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote